What is the vaginal cuff supposed to look like? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What is the vaginal cuff supposed to look like? What is the vaginal cuff supposed to look like?

Unread 01-20-2008, 02:15 PM
What is the vaginal cuff supposed to look like?

I'm nearly a year out and I haven't had the confidence to have a look. It feels spongy inside rather like a pillow. Nothing hurts and sex is ok but I'm curious and might take a look now everything is perfectly healed. It is a bit scary though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-20-2008, 03:25 PM

I'm 6 weeks post op, my first time didn't work.. I bled, I'mstill bleeding. But, about the cuff.... I don't understand how you can see it with a mirror.. SORRY... stupid here.
Do you mind explaining that to me? SORRY...

<~~ is that what you all are doing, because I know that must sound REALLY stupid...
Unread 01-20-2008, 03:29 PM

I dont know the answer to that either. Short of giving myself some sort of internal examination that is about as far it is going to get. You girls are far too brave it has taken me a year to get to this point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-20-2008, 03:31 PM

oh.. that is NOT going to happen! YES, much TOO brave...

B ut if there is another way, please inform me...
Unread 01-20-2008, 04:18 PM
Wait..

I never knew exactly what the cuff was.. I guess I imagined something being put up there and stitched... vs it being the end of the vaginal canal being stitched.. Thanks for the clarification! As far as checking to see what your vaginal cuff looks like, HOW does one do this? Obviously it would include a mirror... and then you do what to see? I have felt it before.. it actually made me cry to feel it.. so I have not done that since... and I am unable to have sex with out pain due to scar tissue..
Unread 01-20-2008, 04:46 PM

I'm still too darn tender to even attempt to touch anything down there........and don't have a strong enough stomach to try to look......even after seeing the picture, I'm still not sure I know what I was looking at or for....

Glad I'm not the only squeamish one on board.....
Unread 01-20-2008, 05:09 PM

supportneeded and anyone else with LSH or SAHs,

I just wanted to let you know that you don't have a vaginal cuff. The LSH leaves your cervix which is usually cauterized--no stitches there. So from the inside everything is about the same--just no uterus.

I'm just reading trying to figure out how you can see your own cuff?? What a website . Gotta luv it.
Unread 01-20-2008, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattypat
supportneeded and anyone else with LSH or SAHs,

I just wanted to let you know that you don't have a vaginal cuff. The LSH leaves your cervix which is usually cauterized--no stitches there. So from the inside everything is about the same--just no uterus.

I'm just reading trying to figure out how you can see your own cuff?? What a website . Gotta luv it.
aha..........shows how much (or LITTLE) I know!!!!!!
Unread 01-20-2008, 08:45 PM
Good webiste

http://www.obgmanagement.com/article...?AID=4741&UID=

This was a great website that shows you how they do a vaginal cuff.. for those who do not stomahc things, it is shown by drawing it.. illustration vs actual pictures and gives a great understanding of it..
I know it helped me.. and it made sense.
Jen
Unread 01-20-2008, 10:04 PM

Okay, I can't for the life of my figure out how you could see your own cuff without a speculum or something to hold the vaginia open. I felt mine at about 2 1/2 weeks it was very prominent, felt like a seam and you could feel all the stiches. Mine goes side to side not front to back. By almost 4 weeks many of the stiches were gone. Much of the swelling was gone and mostly if felt just like the old me- with a much smaller less prominent seam on top. I am NOT recomending ANYONE stick there fingers in there until released for intercourse by their doctor. However since I have already been a bad girl seems like you should all benefit from what I found

Mine was not super tender, but I was gentle. It is basically in exactly the same location- depth wise as my cervix used to be but is much narrower front to back and wider side to side. No idea if that makes any sense.

Touching yourself once released is not a bad plan- for me I like knowing what my partner is likely to feel. Good look and remember calm and patient go a long way

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register