What is the vaginal cuff supposed to look like? - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What is the vaginal cuff supposed to look like? What is the vaginal cuff supposed to look like?

Unread 01-21-2008, 07:16 AM
What is the vaginal cuff supposed to look like?

well, i have been wondering about "seeing' the cuff as well, without a speculum, and, even if i had one, i wouldn't fancy using it, as they're bad enough to put up with at the gyno's ! ! lol....... but, as for feeling........mine sounds much the same as yours, funone, except mine is very lumpy, especially on the one side. and, one lump is rather like a miniature balloon, hanging off it ! ! eeeuuuwww.............. and, with mine running from side to side also, it is more tender on the one side that is lumpiest? some days, it doesn't feel tender at all? its all very strange.

anyway, thanks jen for including the site with the diagrams. not that i had a vaginal surgery, but, it still gives an idea of what would've happened etc. now, what i'm wondering, as these were looking at fixing prolapses, showing how to stitch the vag. wall to ligaments.........well, do they stitch the vag wall to ligaments during a usual hyster, or only when a prolapse has occurred??? anyone????? hmmmm........gee.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2008, 07:29 AM

I wonder that myself. The more I look at the diagram the more I wonder if they do that in all cases.. but was not sure. My bladder and bowel were prolapsed but not that significant so I am unsure if they did anything for that... atleast I get an understanding about the vaginal cuff and how it looks. My scar goes from side to side and the right side in unbelievably painful to touch... but the left side not so bad. And the right side also has more lumps then the left.. my guess is that is why one side hurts more than the other?
Unread 01-21-2008, 11:29 AM

If they remove the cervix they have to ancor all the ligaments together and create a new pelvic floor. This is true if the surgery was abd, vaginal or both. I think it is a little different if the cervix is left. This is the reason for the no lifting. Don't want to strain down until all those stiches heal and scar up giving us a firm pelvic floor again. My dad who has seen the surgery years ago thinks it is such a big deal he has come from New York to Texas for a month to make me not lift until at least 6 weeks have past. Hope that helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2008, 03:02 AM

OK after reading this I want to see what mine feels and looks like but I am scared since it has only been 2 1/2 weeks.
Unread 01-22-2008, 04:14 AM

i also have wondered how any one could see it without your feet in stirups and a speculum and and at least 4 to 6 inches up inside,guess you have to be at the right angle,,cranked open and have someone right down there to see it,yes to feel it ,,i havent tried that ,,my dr. appt is today for my final checkup..i havent even tried to feel it figured dont want any germs,,if they dont want you to take a bath(germ and bacteria introduction) they sure dont want you to try to touch it,,and mostly with out gloves on
Unread 01-22-2008, 06:19 AM

Quote:
OK after reading this I want to see what mine feels and looks like but I am scared since it has only been 2 1/2 weeks.
If you are only 2 1/2 weeks out from your surgery my advice would be to wait before you feel in there.. until the doctor says your all healed.. you do not want an infection ...

I tried to see but it is impossible... unless you have help. I really think that at my next internal, I am going to have my husband or friend come and take a picture!
Unread 01-22-2008, 07:45 AM

yeah, you girls who are not 6 weeks out - no feeling anything ! ! its outta bounds ! ! nothing allowed in there 'til you've been released etc. ! ! no rule-breaking ! ! anyway, it would probably be just too scarey - best be leaving it for a tad??? but, i know, it is rather curious-making? hmmmm.............gee.
Unread 01-22-2008, 07:52 AM

I am a pretty liberal old fart at the age of 47, but have absolutley no desire to feel it....or see it for that matter. No issues with my incision, but the rest is for the doc. to see and the significant other to feel, if he has any complaints....
Unread 02-02-2008, 09:31 AM

well, i guess i must be "extra-liberal" and a big sticky-beak ! ! mind you, not as liberal as germaine greer - just read the other day that she recommended that we should all embrace our bodies to the extent that we taste our menstrual blood ! ! ! bit late for any of us sisters to even think about it...........! ! lol......eeeuuuwww...........but, anyway, guess i'm not that "open-minded".......uuggh ! !
Unread 02-02-2008, 10:03 AM

Ladies,
I am confused about the vaginal cuff...if the average vagina is 3" long, then how in the world are we supposed to have sex. Does everything still fit? I'm divorced, and won't experience anything for a while, so I was just wondering if "it" can go all the way inside the vagina....
Sorry to be so graphic, but I'm concerned about that.
Grace

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register