Scared surgery will be for nothing... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scared surgery will be for nothing... Scared surgery will be for nothing...

Unread 01-17-2008, 09:24 AM
Afraid surgery won't help symptoms...

I am 36, scheduled for TVH and cystocele sling on 1/30...almost there! I have pain/pressure/urinary issues and not sure if they are from the uterine prolapse, cycstocele or both-probably both. I keep having this terrible thought that I will go throught the surgery and still have these symptoms. Did anyone feel like that? I would appreciate knowing that I am not the only one who is afraid that I will go through all of this for nothing! Thanks to all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-17-2008, 06:00 PM
Scared surgery will be for nothing...

Hi. I sure did have doubts! And then even after the surgery I had doubts! But I add up all the different things that are sooooo much better and I know I did the right thing for me. Lets see....no pain after going number 2, not up 3-4 times a night to pee, sex is out of this world, no more period and my head is slowly but surely clearing up. I was really scared and actually had been thinking about the surgery for about 4 years till things just got to unbearable. Ultimately it is your decision and there are always possible complications with major surgery. I personally am very pleased with my outcome.
Unread 01-17-2008, 06:41 PM

Thank you for the encouraging words, roserita. I know deep down that things will be much better after I am healed, like all the things you mentioned! There's just that little voice in my head that is saying, "I hope it's worth it". I have been so miserable for a long time and want to feel better...and have sex with my DH again! (It's too painful right now.) Overall, I think it will probably turn out to be one of the best decisions I've ever made! Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-17-2008, 07:04 PM

jrsysis - I feel the same than you do sometimes. We are having the same procedures done also. When I have a good day with little pain and symptoms I wonder to myself maybe it's just all in my head. Until I start hurting or cramping. It will all be over soon and we'll be on a road to recovery.

Good luck.
Unread 01-17-2008, 07:57 PM

Hi! First of all, I want to assure you that your anxiety is completely normal. Those of us who have gone before you have been where you are, believe me.

Secondly, though -- If you still have doubts (and it sounds like you still have some lingering misgivings about this) and as long as your surgery isn't an emergency (and it sounds like yours isn't) you don't have to do this right now. Take your time. Get another opinion, or two, or ten. Is there any other possible treatment for your symptoms? Maybe there is something less invasive you could try which wouldn't involve removal of your uterus.

Also, it's important to understand that retaining your ovaries is not a guarantee that they will continue to function. Sometimes the ovaries fail after surgery, and other times they will "go to sleep" for a period of weeks or months producing unpleasant symptoms until they kick back into function. So you may be faced with the HRT dilemma even though you don't have your ovaries removed.

I'm not saying all of this to scare you out of having surgery, but it is very important that you be at peace with your decision. There is a group of (((sisters))) who have continuing problems after their hysterectomies, and some actually live to regret having the surgery because they believe the problems they suffer afterward to be more serious than the symptoms for which they originally had the surgery.

If you are well assured that the hysterectomy is the best (and final) resort to regaining your health, then you'll be better able to handle whatever difficulties or complications may come your way. Just remember this: you can always have the surgery later, but you can't undo it once you've had it done.

to you. We're here for you whenever you need us.
Unread 01-18-2008, 02:15 AM

I, too, questioned my decision up to and even after my hyst. I think it's completely "normal" to have these doubts! For me, the important thing was just being clear what I wanted to get out of it, and reminding myself that my current life was NOT O.K. I knew what the risks were, and they were worth it to me. You are the only one who can determine that for yourself. I had a great outcome and am starting to feel like I have a new lease on life. I don't know how I would feel if things hadn't gone so smoothly. Good luck whatever you decide!
Unread 01-18-2008, 07:05 AM

I've been dealing with the exact same feelings lately. I'm also having a TVH plus repairs for uterine prolapse and rectal prolapse. When my doc first suggested a hysterectomy, I was all for it!! Lately (and quite frankly, only after reading some of the scarier posts on this board) I've started to have doubts.

But then DH reminds me how miserable I've been for the past year. Sex hurts, I have constant pressure and pain in my pelvis and back, my uterus says "hello" every time I go to the bathroom, etc., etc., etc....

And for me, genetics plays a part. My mom had a hysterectomy at 29, so the fact that this is happening to me isn't as big a surprise.

But then like I said, I read some of the scarier posts on this board and I start to wonder if I would be better off not messing with mother nature.

I guess I'm not much help! LOL Sorry! Just wanted you to know that you're not alone in your doubts.
Unread 01-18-2008, 07:47 AM

I'm going through the same thing to. I feel like this is what I know what if it gets worse, I even asked my Dr a bunch of questions and he said i should be better. i don't know i feel so stressed thinking about it. good luck with decisions
Unread 01-18-2008, 08:08 AM

Thank you all for the encouragement. I guess no matter how much you mentally prepare for it, there is stilll that little lingering doubt. But like you said, Tulip Too, my current quality of like is NOT ok, or even tolerable. I get through each day just by taking it one day at a time! I had to come home from my summer vacation this year to go to my urologist to have my 4th cystoscopy to straighten out my recurring urethral kink! That is not how I want to live anymore. In the end, I know it is the best thing to do, and I'm sure I will thankful when it's done!
Unread 01-18-2008, 09:35 PM

I sometimes wish I took a more conservative approach, but in the end, it wasn't really a choice. I was supposed to have a LAVH, but ended up having a TAH. I was hoping to keep at least one ovary, but I was full of adhesions. I am now dealing with major hot flashes, night sweats, crying, and mood swings. I'm still deciding on HRT, but I have severe daily migraines. 38 is too young for all this with no Estrogen. Anyway, I had to have my hyst, my cervix was scarring shut and couldn't have a period for 2 months. I would really encourage you to get checked for Intercystal Cystitis. I found out I had it just prior to my surgery. That can cause pressure, pain (even with intercourse), frequency, and urgency. That will not go away after the hysterectomy. I would also read some Candy Apple's posts, she had a lot of mesh problems. After reading about mesh, I don't think I would do it. I had a TOT sling, and I still can't sit for more than 30 min to an hour after 1 month! It better work! Get all questions answered before surgery, you can't undo it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register