Wk 5 Post-Op & Job Position Eliminated | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Wk 5 Post-Op & Job Position Eliminated Wk 5 Post-Op & Job Position Eliminated

Unread 01-18-2008, 09:41 AM
Wk 5 Post-Op & Job Position Eliminated

My company calls it a "reduction in force". Has anyone else had their job situation changed while on medical leave? The severage package includes work that "must be completed" by a date that's set before my 6 week appointment. I've spoken with my doctor and she won't even consider releasing me even part time until after she sees me. Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-19-2008, 07:51 PM

Have you considered checking with an attorney? Were you eligible for FMLA? It is horrible what they are doing to you. Just what you need right now. I am so sorry you are having to go through this.
Unread 01-19-2008, 08:08 PM

I find it difficult to believe that people are so uncaring and uncompassionate! If they could walk a mile in your shoes, I'm sure they'd change their tune!

So sorry to hear this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-20-2008, 01:47 PM

Thank you. I believe that there is a better thing out there for us. I'm just concerned about the energy level to look for and begin a new job - especially with some post that say it can be several months before that returns...
Unread 01-20-2008, 01:51 PM

I probably could consult an attorney but it goes against my moral code. My employer says that I don't qualify for FMLA because I am a key employee, however they are eliminating the "position" - how key is that?
Unread 01-20-2008, 02:35 PM

How can you not qualify for FMLA because you are a "key employee"? That doesn't make much sense to me. I would consult with your employers FMLA policy. As long as you have meet the FMLA qualifications how can they deny you especially since you are under the care of a physician!

Did they offer you another position within the company (not that you would be interested in it, just curious)? I can't imagine what you are going through right now. It just ticks me off how much companies will take and take from you, but then when you need a little time off, or help with something they shut the door in your face.
Unread 01-20-2008, 03:04 PM

Can this person who says you are a key person help you in the search for another position with another company? If they are worried about the position they have put you in they will help. If not you could then talk to an attorney or your state's employment securities commission to find out your options. They should in this situation be required to pay you for the time you were going to be out, and give that extra work to someone that is still working there. Be nice, but keep notes of everything said and done in case you need them later.
Unread 01-20-2008, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hssignin
I probably could consult an attorney but it goes against my moral code. My employer says that I don't qualify for FMLA because I am a key employee, however they are eliminating the "position" - how key is that?
I would consult an attorney. My company has key employees, and we pay for special "Key Employee Insurance". When they leave their position, we collect insurance money. It sounds like your employeer is setting you up to fail your contract (severance including "work completed by") so that they can collect insurance. I could be wrong, but just a thought. I can understand being morally against an attorney, but it doesn't sound like your employer is being very moral themselves.
Unread 01-20-2008, 05:31 PM

They offered me a 20 hour per week part-time version of my same job with no health benefits. I work for a non-profit; I wonder if that makes a difference in the laws. My dr was pretty clear that I needed what little energy I have these days to heal, not to "run my engine" as she called it. I hope that this doesn't lengthen the healing process. I am trying really hard not to get angry because that's a choice that I can make and it will only hurt me and my family more.
Unread 01-20-2008, 05:35 PM

At least call the FMLA office, and tell them what has happened. They likely have your company on file.

It would be interesting if they have pulled things like this before - and hadn't been charged!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register