Anyone considering not doing HRT? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone considering not doing HRT? Anyone considering not doing HRT?

Unread 01-18-2008, 04:04 PM
Anyone considering not doing HRT?

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if there was anyone considering not taking HRT? I spoke to my co-workers today and one who had her hyst 10-12 years ago is not taking HRT, as they didn't agree with her and another co-worker whose hyst was about 7 years ago still taking premarin.

I never even took birth control pills as I was afraid to mess with my body in that way, so I only want to use HRT if there are really good reasons to do so. I know its different for every woman, and I have had a couple of "power surges" since coming home from the hospital, but nothing unbearable.

I'd appreciate your insight with and without HRT. My mom and grandmother both had osteoporosis, though then it was just called a dowagers hump! Neither one were milk drinkers though, nor took calcium supplements, so perhaps I can avoid that need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-18-2008, 04:18 PM

Hi - I had the same surgery as you over 2 months now and right now I have adopted a wait and see attitude along with my DR.

I have seen many posts of our sisters having night sweats and hot flashes very soon after their surgeries - for me I've only experienced a few "personal summers" during the day. Because things are "manageable" right now (I know, lucky me - so far) I see this as an opportunity to do some research and some serious reading on the subject of menopause and HRT, etc.

Hopefully you will have the same gift of time to think about things too!

Tracy
Unread 01-18-2008, 04:23 PM

Hi Sisters:

I had my surgery on October 29 and can not take HRT for at least a year because of Endo. But so far the only thing I have experienced is night sweats and they haven't been that bad, which the ceiling fan takes care of! If and when the time comes and they allow me to take HRT, I plan to do it thru natural means: vitamins, herbs, etc. Too many side effects from the other stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-18-2008, 04:39 PM

Hi
I had my surgery in September and currently do not take HRT...I mange occasionally night sweats with a multi vitamin, black cohosh and exercise...
Unread 01-18-2008, 04:40 PM

Hi Hiberbear!

I chose not to do HRT because of breast cancer history in my family. I had a week of night sweats right after I came home. The doctor said that can be attributed to the surgery for up to one month. I take paxil, have for years, for panic attacks, so I can't really answer for mood swings.
I do have warm flushes up to 5 or 6 times a day. I never get the full-on drenched in sweat kind. The flushes didn't kick in until about week 4. I can live with that! The only other problem I had was terrible brain fog for a week when I went back to work. It really frightened me. Fortunately it was very short-lived.

There is some evidence that estrogen is stored in fat cells. If that's the case that might be why I've had an easier time of it than some of our other hyster sisters.

All the best to you as you recover and make decisions.
Unread 01-18-2008, 05:24 PM

Hi all - I had a TAHBSO on 12/21. I was supposed to have a LSH, but due to stage 4 endo. I had the full monty!!! So unless I get unbearable symptoms my doc wants to wait before he does anything. I agree, but, my brother has osteoperosis, my family has a bad heart history too. I am confused about which is better or not... I am also DES exposed so for now I am not doing anything but taking vitamins, calcium, fish oil and that kind of stuff. No HRT and no phyto estrogens either..... time will tell... - Suzyq
Unread 01-18-2008, 05:38 PM

Hi, no HRT here - and never will be - for me either. My mom died of pre-meno breast cancer, I've had 3 benign breast lumps, plus I'm also a DES daughter with a strong family history of blood clots. I think I'd be nuts to try HRT!

Only real problem are drenching night sweats, but nothing else so far. No mood issues. Taking calcium, vitamin E, and multi-vitamin.
Unread 01-18-2008, 05:38 PM

I had my TAH in October and have opted not to have HRT. I just don't feel comfortable at the thought of it. Right now my biggest problems are hot flashes and insomnia. They get bad, then clear up, then get bad again, but I'm still at the point where they're nothing more than severe annoyances. If they were to become debilitating I would consider HRT, but only then. I am going to see about some Melatonin for sleep but don't want to introduce any other substances into my body. I'm on enough medications as it is.
Unread 01-18-2008, 05:49 PM

Any of you not on HRT having any symptoms of vaginal atrophy (sorry if too personal), if so what is anyone doing for it? Want some advice. - Suzyq
Unread 01-18-2008, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyqsuzyq
Any of you not on HRT having any symptoms of vaginal atrophy (sorry if too personal), if so what is anyone doing for it? Want some advice. - Suzyq
I did HRT at first, not at all liking the idea. I stopped after a few months though. I had the patch and it made me more of a witch it was awful. I hated it. I've been taking Estroven and I love it.
Yes I do have vaginal atrophy. It drives me nuts sometimes. At night if I don't clean the outside I regret by the middle of the night. The worst thing I've had during intercourse is itching. All I've been able to come up with is cleaning and over the counter products. I hope I've helped.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register