horrible time with post-op nausia /constipation - went BACK to hospital! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

horrible time with post-op nausia /constipation - went BACK to hospital! horrible time with post-op nausia /constipation - went BACK to hospital!

Unread 01-18-2008, 10:25 PM
horrible time with post-op nausia /constipation - went BACK to hospital!

Had total abdominal hyster on Jan 10 and was in hospital for 4 days. pain was manageable (on morphine and tordol) but was nauseous. I passed some gas (a little) but no bowel movement, but still went home.

By following Tuesday (surgery was on a thurs, out sunday, then, on turesday,,) I still had not had a bowel movement and was very nauseous and I was throwing up every day and in pain.

My husband took me back to the hospital where I had more anti nausia medicine which i am still on (Zorfran ).

In the hospital I ended up having bowel movements since I had (in desperation) had my husband give me 2 (!) superiorities earlier in the evening.

Now it is Friday - over one week from surgery and two days since going back to the hospital and I havent had another bowel movement and I'm still on the anti-nausia meds.

I'm now stopping my darvocet and taking motrin in hopes that it will help and I'm eating exlax. Plus I've only eaten soft foods and no cafeine.

Has anyone else had this?

I'm not getting much help from the dr office.

The pain is not my biggest fear. I just want to get my digestive track going and stop throwing up and start having bowel movements! Advice??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-18-2008, 11:24 PM

Did your DR tell you it was OK to take ex-lax? I was told stool softeners were OK, but no laxatives unless the DR prescribed them.

Some things you might try: bran muffins, lots of water, warm prune juice (I put it in the microwave in a coffee cup), strong coffee with milk and lots of walking. If you're taking calcium, make sure you are also taking magnesium in a 2:1 ratio by weight (example: I take 1500mg calcium and 750mg magnesium per day). Calcium is constipating; magnesium counters that effect.

I hope stopping the Darvocet does the trick for you (those pain meds are constipating). If not, and your DR isn't helping, I'd talk with your family DR or even go to the ER.

I hope this helps.
s,
-Linda
Unread 01-19-2008, 07:23 AM

hey engawa, maybe you just need another suppository to get things "unblocked".........hope it resolves for you, as there's enough to deal with......gee.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-19-2008, 09:09 AM

engawa ~

I got very constipated after surgery and I also had to take the zofran for nausea. I tried alot of unsuccesful remedies, but it was only after I tried the Miralax that I read about on this site that I got relief. That stuff IS a miracle - IMO. I just wished I had tried it sooner.

Good Luck - It DOES get better.

Starbgirl
Unread 01-20-2008, 05:51 PM

Engawa,
I had the same symptoms as you are having. After I tried prune juice, bran, and MOM...the final cure for me was when I stopped taking the pain meds, began to take MiraLax daily, plenty of water, and continued with my Zofran-as I still experienced some nauseousness when I tried to stop taking it.

I forgot to mention...before I began the regimen I mentioned above I took durolax suppositories for 2 days (1 each day). This seem to offer immediate relief because the MiroLax takes a few days before you have a bowel movement.

I am 4 week post op and still take the MiroLax for 7 straight days off 7 then back on...the bottle says to go off for 14 days but I found that I can not wait that long.

As surferbabe already stated...I was told by Dr to use suppositories vs laxataives-as they are too harsh...

Hope this helps...
Trust me many of us know exactly how you feel...
Unread 01-20-2008, 06:43 PM

I have taken Miralax since i had spinal surgery in June 07 and am still taking it with this hyster. It is the only thing that works for me long term- I sure hope you get over the nausea. Have you taken phenergan? it is old school, but is sure works for me..... God Bless
Unread 01-21-2008, 11:19 AM

Hi. Phenegran makes me see things have have really nutty symptoms so I can't take it, but the Zofran has been working.

Almost had to go back to the hospital yesterday after 24 hours ( ! ) of trying to push out a stool. With the blessings of the on-call dr. My husband gave me an enema.

I had some bowel movements but not as much as I would have thought for three days worth. Nothing yet today.

I've been crying because I'm so depressed over this. As the woman said in the other post, the recovery from the actual hyster has been a breeze compared to the bowel pains and problems.
Unread 01-21-2008, 11:47 AM

I was told that the sooner I got off the narcotics, the sooner the GI tract would snap back to normal. It proved to be true. It is hard though, as you have to put up with some pain to be able to get it going again. I was only on the narcotic for a day or so, then I switched to Motrin and Tylenol. I had a TAH also.

I used Milk of Magnesia the first week or so for the constipation, then switched to stool softener. Also, for the nausea, I used Pepcid as well as some ginger ale (let the pop de-gas and go flat, then dilute with some spring water). The nausea seems to come and go throughout the healing process. I am six weeks out and still get it once and awhile.

Good luck! My tummy was messed up a BUNCH too. I also had the stomach flu two days afterward!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register