Silver Nitrate- Is this PAINFUL?-The Truth Please?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Silver Nitrate- Is this PAINFUL?-The Truth Please?? Silver Nitrate- Is this PAINFUL?-The Truth Please??

Unread 01-19-2008, 02:33 PM
Silver Nitrate- Is this PAINFUL?-The Truth Please??

OK- I went back to the dr. because after the follow-up appt. at four weeks post hysterectomy (TVH) he said make another appt. for next year. It seemed strange to me that after major surgery you would only be seen once, but then again maybe everything was just healing great. Well, I went back at seven weeks because I felt like I had a UTI and my vaginal cuff had a burning sensation. He wanted to apply that siver nitrate while I was on the table and I freaked out and said NO!! I heard that it was painful and that it actually burned you. He said the cuff was healing crooked and there were two areas of granulization. He said it would only take a second to do it. All I could think of was that I couldn't stand any more pain and he wasn't going to do anything unless he drugged me up first. I was embarrassed and he teased that I was a wimp, but so be it. He said just to come back and he would do it (only after drugging me up first) if I had any signs of bleeding either out of the blue or after sex. What is the truth about SILVER NITRATE?? IS THE PROCEDURE PAINFUL??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-19-2008, 02:47 PM

I had to have a silver nitrate treatment a few weeks ago. It was not painful at all, in fact I didn't know that he had done it until he said that I could get up!
Unread 01-19-2008, 03:27 PM

I had this several times and no it did not hurt .I had increased discharge for a week but was pleased to have had it done
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-19-2008, 04:23 PM

I have had it after a biopsy because I would not stop bleeding and it stung a little but do not actually hurt. The best way to describe it is it felt like lemon in a cut. It sucks for a second but then it goes away.

Take care,
Unread 01-19-2008, 04:38 PM

i had it and didn't notice anything.
Unread 01-19-2008, 04:54 PM
To each your own..

Well I had scar tissue and he had to rid of the scar tissue (biopsy it). I was having extremely painful intercourse and ovary pains.. along with sweating. During my exam he had done a few things, one of which was to apply silver nitrate. I was literally in tears. I was hurting. The doctor to which I am close with was shocked that I was in tears as I am one to handle my pain but this totally broke me. I was cramping and felt a burning sensation for a few hours after it was over. I am not positive if all the pain was from the silver nitrate.. as he had done a few other things as well.. but I can say the S.N. made my vagina heavy feeling.. almost cement like until the next day... which was yesterday and now I am passing a bunch of coffee grain like substances. I have heard from many people that is was not painful at all and others said it was horrible. To each her own. I think if I had mentally prepared myself for this, I would have been better off as I believe in mind over matter. Good luck.. hope you do not need it and if so I hope it is pain free!
Unread 01-20-2008, 01:44 PM

It's so interesting how it affects everyone differently...maybe it also depends on how much they use? I think my Dr. only used a little because it didn't last long. I was bleeding again 2 days later. I'm still spotting and I see my Dr. this wed for 6 week follow up...wonder what he'll say and do since I'm still spotting.

Okay...now I'm nervous that he'll apply more and it will hurt. I'll have to work on that mind over matter thing!

Sorry you had a bad experience with the stuff Yankeesfan!
Unread 01-20-2008, 04:05 PM

Hi.. I am going to guess it is because I had so much scar tissue there... its been well over seven months since my hysto.. I have to go back and have this done again next week.. I wish you all the best!
Unread 02-19-2008, 10:25 PM

hi, Due to bleeding after sex, I saw my doc today. She said that I had a tiny spot of granulation and because my tissues are so thin, it caused me to bleed. She then did a silver nitrate treatment. It took longer to locate what she needed than the actual treatment.

I felt hot inside and then it started to hurt, but that's normal. I asked about the pain. My doc said that it would last 30 min. The pain wasn't too bad and I sort of crampy. I've been having grayish discharge. I haven't felt too good tonight, but it wasnt' bad.

The best part was that my doc didn't see any signs of cancer. I had my hyst due to uterine cancer. Bleeding was my symptom.
Unread 02-20-2008, 07:04 AM

Lovestowalk:
I would be a bit paranoid to with bleeding as this was my symptom also for uterine cancer... Won't have to worry about sex for another 7 weeks though, cause doc said 10 weeks... Tomorrow will be my 3 week mark.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register