pain meds resulting in constipation? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

pain meds resulting in constipation? pain meds resulting in constipation?

Unread 01-20-2008, 05:27 PM
pain meds resulting in constipation?

I'm wondering if the pains med I was given (Vicodin) to manage my pain is causing me to be constipated.

I had my first post-surgery bm yesterday...it was VERY painful despite the fact that I have been taking stool softeners and drinking gallons of water. I've had two more today, both very painful.

I had been completely off the hard pain meds all day on Friday until the strong painful urge to have a bm came on that night. Saturday morning I was forced to take a pain pill because the pain from needing to have a bm was more than I could take. I called the dr on call to ask what to do, and was advised to have my hubby go and get an enema to use to 'help me' have my bm. The enema helped me to get it out, but that's all...I was left in a tremendous amount of pain afterward, and was forced to take another pain pill for relief. I'm still in pain today, and have had 2 more bm's, both equally as painful as the one yesterday.

I called the hospital again, to speak to the dr on call to ask her advise, and also to ask if it could actually be the pain meds that is causing the pain and pressure 'down there'.
She said she wanted to consult with another dr about it, so I'm waiting for a call back...
Has anyone else had this problem???

Paula
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-20-2008, 05:40 PM

The pain meds do cause consitpation.
It looks like you and I had the same surgery same date. I have been pushing the water, stool softners and I have been on Ibprophen the last day and a half. I get very sore when I have a BM even when I don't have a problem with "going". I believe that it's just from the surgery.
I have even added some " fiber" sprinkles to the diet. I also haven't eaten to much solid foods. Soups and soft things. I don't know if this helps or not, but I do understand your pain.
Good luck to you.....
L
Unread 01-20-2008, 07:01 PM

The dr on call finally called me back a bit ago to tell me that if I can wean off the vicodin and control my pain with just motrin, to do it. She said she suspected that the vicodin was the culprit of my problems. She also said to have hubby go and get some milk of magnesia for me to take 3 times a day in addition to the stool softeners until I have a more comfortable bm.

I think that since I was off the vicodin all day on friday, I can do it again. I took more vicodin yesterday just because the pain from the bm was so severe, and because I didn't fully realize that it was what was causing the problem. I suspected, but didn't know for sure.

So, I'm off the 'hard' stuff, and hoping that things will get easier from now on. :-)

Paula (afsgtyfe)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-20-2008, 07:12 PM

I know how you feel! I actually had to be hospitalized TWICE after my surgery because my entire colon was impacted. It seriously slows down your recovery b/c that is waste that your body doesn't need yet it is hanging around and is 'toxic' to your system. My GYN and the GI they consulted put me on Miralax. It is a stimulant free laxative that you can mix into anything...it has no taste and completely disolves so it isn't gritty. You can get it anywhere laxatives are sold.

Besides the pain medicine, your colon could just be 'sleepy' from the anthestia. It takes awhile for the meds to get out of your system.

Keep drinking that water and best of luck to you!
Unread 01-20-2008, 07:57 PM

Hi Paula , I experienced the same thing and yes, it is caused by the pain medication and "sleepy" bowels from anesthesia. My doctor told me to try Milk of Magnesia which gave me horrible stomach cramping. We called the doctor on-call one night and he said to try Dulcolax which I did. It caused me worse cramping and watery diarrhea. I ended up in the ER dehydrated and in a lot of pain. The ER doc told me that these symptoms were very common with any type of abdominal surgery. He put me on another pain med., gave me IV fluids, and sent me on my way. I decided to try some Miralax which my young son has to take regularly. It did the trick. Like Anne said it does not stimulate your bowel so no cramping. It just draws water from your body into your colon and is non-addicting. I hope you start feeling better soon. Those first few days can be very difficult. Hang in there and remember we are all right there with you

s and Blessings, Lisa
Unread 01-21-2008, 04:54 AM

I am experiencing the excruciating bowel pain too and so much that I cry. I don't even want to sit on the toilet anymore because I know what will happen. I've only been home for two days so I know it's early and hoping that soon this will go away. I'm on miralax and today I am switching from solids to chicken broth for a while to see if that helps.
Unread 01-21-2008, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindamae41
I am experiencing the excruciating bowel pain too and so much that I cry. I don't even want to sit on the toilet anymore because I know what will happen. I've only been home for two days so I know it's early and hoping that soon this will go away. I'm on miralax and today I am switching from solids to chicken broth for a while to see if that helps.
Be patient and keep drinking lots of water. Keep with the Miralax, too. Most docs approve the use of an enima to get things moving so you might want to check with the doc and see about going that route.

Having a full colon adds pressure to your already sore belly so you will certainly feel relief from having a good BM.

Hang in there!
Unread 01-21-2008, 07:44 AM

I was told to try to wean off the pain meds as soon as I could stand it, and that the intestines would calm down if I did. I was also told to try Tylenol instead of Motrin if I got nausea, as Motrin will upset the stomach. Tylenol is not an anti-inflammatory though, so you will get more swelling with that. For nauesa, I was told to take Pepcid.

I found that Milk of Magnesia worked the best for the first couple of weeks, then I switched over to stool softener, which works well too. The first couple of them do really hurt kind of hard, but after that, it starts to get better. I was told that it hurts because the intestines are in close proximity to where the sutures from surgery lie, and when things go through, the sutures are sort of "by the highway" on the shoulder of the road if you will, hence the pain. Don't force it too hard though, just be gentle. Hope this helps.
Unread 01-21-2008, 09:27 AM

I am also in terrible angony. I just had a bm and the tears just flowed. I really figured that each one would get easier and I am 7 days out just about now and had the worse time ever just now. I have only used the stool softeners up to now and have been off the percocet for several days now. I expected it to be more normal by now and it is not.

I had a big repair done to the rectum because of a large "pouch" there. I just hope that this will end soon and I will not be petrified to have to go into the bathroom.

Kay
Unread 01-21-2008, 01:31 PM

pain meds can be very constipating. try 800mg of motrin in place of your pain meds when you can. milk of magnesia always works for me after surgery..stool softners, walking and drinking water do nothing for me.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register