Hysterectomy dates Jan 21-Jan 28,2008 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Jan 21-Jan 28,2008 Hysterectomy dates Jan 21-Jan 28,2008

Unread 01-21-2008, 12:00 AM
Hysterectomy dates Jan 21-Jan 28,2008

If your hysterectomy was between Jan 21-Jan 28,2008 this is the place to post your progress during your hysterectomy recovery.

If you have a question about your recovery, please start a new thread to receive answers and support for your concerns!

We hope you are recovering with plenty of rest and a bit of walking.

Post how you are doing here when you are home and well enough to sit a few minutes at your computer.

Don't forget to pamper the princess, drink plenty of water and walk a bit!

How to use the Progress Report threads:
  • 1. This thread is for the purpose of your hysterectomy recovery progress report.
  • 2. Generally, ONE or TWO posts on this thread per member/per day is adequate to share your daily progress.
  • 3. Remember to start a new thread to ask your questions.
  • 4. The Progress Report threads will be moved at approximately 8 weeks post-op to the Date Club forum inside the HysterSisters clubhouse.
  • 5. Remember all the love & support you got here as a pre-op member? Now it's YOUR turn to give back to the women in Pre-Op Forum. Extend your hand and your hugs in replies to our pre-op ladies in waiting. This will complete our circle of Women Helping Women!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2008, 12:46 PM

Well I am home.

Surgery went pretty much as planned, got to keep ovaries and nothing abnormal found. Got a call at 4am yesterday from the hospital asking for me to come in at 5 instead of 6 so that started the day off well. Went into surgery at 7:30 and didnt come out of anesthetic that well so didnt make it back to room until 10:30 am. DH was a bit concerned. I then had low blood pressure, despite usually having high blood pressure and my pulse was very high at around 140 and above. Was very flushed apparently and not looking so well so the floor nurses called the dr and they gave some sort of medication stat. All finally settled down. Didnt put in a good night sleep wise, room mate was fine, just couldnt sleep. So now at home and desperately tired but as soon as I doze off I wake up. Pain is not too bad and bleeding is very minimal.

Hope all my other sisters are doing well.
Unread 01-22-2008, 05:17 PM

My made it through my TVH yesterday. I don't remember a lot of yesterday other than being in a lot of pain , vomiting, and being very medicated; Things got better this morning after they removed the catherter and the stockings from my legs. I was able to go to the bathroom several times and was able to eat breakfast. I was released today around 10:30 am. The ride home was uncomfortable. I'm taking pain meds and something to soothe my stomach so I don't vomit anymore.
It hurts to sit in this chair so this will be short
I really appreciate all the prayers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2008, 08:50 AM

I went in not knowing exactly what was going to be done due to several factors. I had breast cancer and for my reconstruction I had a tram flap (moved the abdominal muscle to make my new breast) and because of this my dr didn't want to have to cut into my mesh that was place there after the tram flap. Anyway I was scheduled to have a LAVH but ended up with a TVH. That was great news when I woke up. But the dr went in thinking my uterus was at 10 week pregnancy size and it was really at 14 week pregnancy along with several fibers in the lining. So, she said that she had the spectrum in longer than she would have liked and had to cut the fibroids out and my uterus was adhered to my bladder, I feel fine, tired, and sick to my stomach but that was from the morphine and should not last much longer. Thank you to everyone out there that helped me and others though out this process. What a blessing this site is and all of you ladies that are dedicated to helping others. God bless you all.
Unread 01-23-2008, 08:33 PM
TVH kept ovaries

Well, I made it..I guess.
I was scheduled for surgery at 2:30pm and at 2:30 pm exactly I was moving onto the operating table.
I was very dehydrated and that made the IV not so great and the anesti decided that she was going to give me the knock out gas and put a new IV in. Which I am assuming she had a hard time doing since I woke up with it beside my elbow but I had 8 punctures/brusises where she had tried all over my poor arm.

The surgery was suppose to be 1hr long but ended up being 4hrs. I had an ultrasound the week before and no problems were seen but when he got in there he said my uterus was VERY large. He described it to be the size it would be if there was a 21 week baby inside. He sent everything to pathology not only because of the extreme size, but the fact that they saw a lot of dysplasia on the cervix and uterus. Because of the size he said it was difficult to maneuver but didnt want to cut me instead because of my appendectomy scar and my allergy to metals. Because he had to "deliver" this large uterus and then work on cutting the ligaments and cauterizing the arteries he said a lot of internal things had been pulled on and there was some "stuck" areas where the uterus was adhered to the bladder sheething?? and a couple parts of my intestines. I dont know what the bladder sheething is but he said it was like a covering between the bladder and uterus. ALL OF THIS is supposedly why I am in such pain.

Lets talk about pain. I have chronic pain anyway from an accident, and I am on pretty hefty pain meds. But I was told that the Vaginal hysterectomy without lapro or any cuts was a walk in the park and I should be just fine..actually said I would probably wake up and want to go home and would forget not to do things. This Is NOT how I woke up.

At 7pm I awoke in such horrendous pain that my first realization of being awake was me screaming and shaking. I was in such pain that my whole body was shaking and I truely felt like the lower part of my body had been amputated. Between 7 and 7:30 the recovery nurse I had (A very very nice make nurse) worked trying to get my pain under control. I had my normal pain patch on and in that 1/2 hr he had pushed 10 doses of delaudid (sp?) 2 phenergan, and 4 oxycodone and I was still screaming (Uncontrollable screaming not just me being a baby, I literally could not stop myself) He went and got my doctor and the anesthesiologist and they decided to put me back under. I awoke again at 8pm and was again in the same position with pain. This time though they gave me fentanyl (which is the drug I am on continually) in a drip so within an hour I was able to rest a little. At 9pm-6 and a half hours after I went into surgery- they finally took me to my room and brought my family in. I was in so much pain even though not as bad as I was that I couldnt stop crying. I had my hubby take my mom and son home because my mom was freaking out over my urine being blue and grabbed the bag and I screamed because it pulled on it and it hurt, and she actually got mad!...So after they left the nurse came in and had me stand up beside my bed until my knee's started wobbling and then went back to bed. They turned up my IV and my medicine but she didnt realize they had the setings different or something and she actually turned the meds off. Sooo, within a few minutes I was back to the uncontrollable shaking, shivering, and crying. It took them over 2 hrs to get me just to the point I could relax a bit. I began to think I was being a baby and asked to have a counselor come in to talk to me, but instead the surgeon who assisted my doctor came in and explained it was true pain. They could tell because my blood pressure thats usually between 60/40 to 100/75 was 180/100 to 210/100 so that told them something was definatly wrong..and because I was on chronic pain meds it was harder to control my pain.
By 3am I was feeling better but the heprin shot they gave me in my thigh, although didnt hurt when it was given, caused my leg to start swelling....determined to be the metal allergy reaing its ugly head..so benedryl was given. I was able to read a magazine article and watch a tv show but had horrible urge to pee even though I had a cath, and the urine wasnt coming out really well, so they took me to the bathroom and sat me on the toilet, amazingly it worked. by that time it was 6 am and they took the cath out. This has never hurt me before but this time it was very painful. The nurse said that the "balloon" didnt fully deflate so I would have some bleeding..and I did. It took me 3 tries to finally go but I did have success! I was then given a graham craker OH YUM! I was suppose to have been able to eat right after if I wanted, but because of the intestine issue they decided to go slow..well slow was that, then a popsicle, then a full breakfast..so not too bad. At 7 the assistant surgeon came in and told me she was taking the packing out (again something I wasnt suppose to have but needed due to the other repairs). That felt very strange but also hurt terribly and she was worried so took a peek. the packing had dried to a suture and had pulled it out, but wasnt bleeding so much that she needed to restitch it so just told me to wear a pad and left. The nurse came in and gave me 2 percocet and said they were going to take the iv out so I would go back to my normal pain meds but that the assistant surgeon had asked that I be given a bit extra to deal with the packing thing, and all the unhooking that was about to be done (from surgery up until this point I had oxygen, pulse ox monitor, heart monitor co2 monitor, leg cuffs...which felt great, 2 IV's, a continual blood pressure monitor cuff and a continual temp monitor...talk about wired! Once everything but one IV, that was capped off, I felt a bit better. My doctor came in to check on me, brought me a couple of things and gave me the go ahead to do some things. I was able to get up and put on my undies, tshirt, and sleep pants...hop in my slippers and take a walk. OOOH was that a good/bad thing. I felt a bit better in one way and a bit worse in others. When I got back I asked for more meds and then took an hour nap.
I woke up at noon to nasty lunch, and hubby came in shortly after. I tried to eat but it was horrible so hubby set it aside. I told him if he would go eat, I was going to try to nap so he did and when he came back the nurse came in and went over things and told me I could go home.

So this was a world of firsts for me along with a bunch of change of plans. It was the first time a doctor had come up to me, and held my hand in the operating room because I was scared held it until I was asleep. It was also not the "minimal pain, feelbetter than before" proceedure we had thought it would be. Im told that I still have a few days of really bad and then I should start to feel a lot better. Because of the other repairs my "do not"list increased in items but also times..no sweeping, laundry, dishes, bed changing for 10 to 12 weeks!

Sorry this was long but it was 2 days worth!
I hope you all are fairing better than I.
Kim
TVH with cystoscopy, bladder and sigmoid colon adhesion repairs kept ovaries
Unread 01-23-2008, 09:16 PM
Bless your heart

I am praying for you!!! Mine was nothing compared to yours .I guess that sometimes we have it bad and then hear something that reminds us that we don't have it as bad as we think. I hope you get to feeling better and get over this painful, horrendous experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maume3
Well, I made it..I guess.
I was scheduled for surgery at 2:30pm and at 2:30 pm exactly I was moving onto the operating table.
I was very dehydrated and that made the IV not so great and the anesti decided that she was going to give me the knock out gas and put a new IV in. Which I am assuming she had a hard time doing since I woke up with it beside my elbow but I had 8 punctures/brusises where she had tried all over my poor arm.

The surgery was suppose to be 1hr long but ended up being 4hrs. I had an ultrasound the week before and no problems were seen but when he got in there he said my uterus was VERY large. He described it to be the size it would be if there was a 21 week baby inside. He sent everything to pathology not only because of the extreme size, but the fact that they saw a lot of dysplasia on the cervix and uterus. Because of the size he said it was difficult to maneuver but didnt want to cut me instead because of my appendectomy scar and my allergy to metals. Because he had to "deliver" this large uterus and then work on cutting the ligaments and cauterizing the arteries he said a lot of internal things had been pulled on and there was some "stuck" areas where the uterus was adhered to the bladder sheething?? and a couple parts of my intestines. I dont know what the bladder sheething is but he said it was like a covering between the bladder and uterus. ALL OF THIS is supposedly why I am in such pain.

Lets talk about pain. I have chronic pain anyway from an accident, and I am on pretty hefty pain meds. But I was told that the Vaginal hysterectomy without lapro or any cuts was a walk in the park and I should be just fine..actually said I would probably wake up and want to go home and would forget not to do things. This Is NOT how I woke up.

At 7pm I awoke in such horrendous pain that my first realization of being awake was me screaming and shaking. I was in such pain that my whole body was shaking and I truely felt like the lower part of my body had been amputated. Between 7 and 7:30 the recovery nurse I had (A very very nice make nurse) worked trying to get my pain under control. I had my normal pain patch on and in that 1/2 hr he had pushed 10 doses of delaudid (sp?) 2 phenergan, and 4 oxycodone and I was still screaming (Uncontrollable screaming not just me being a baby, I literally could not stop myself) He went and got my doctor and the anesthesiologist and they decided to put me back under. I awoke again at 8pm and was again in the same position with pain. This time though they gave me fentanyl (which is the drug I am on continually) in a drip so within an hour I was able to rest a little. At 9pm-6 and a half hours after I went into surgery- they finally took me to my room and brought my family in. I was in so much pain even though not as bad as I was that I couldnt stop crying. I had my hubby take my mom and son home because my mom was freaking out over my urine being blue and grabbed the bag and I screamed because it pulled on it and it hurt, and she actually got mad!...So after they left the nurse came in and had me stand up beside my bed until my knee's started wobbling and then went back to bed. They turned up my IV and my medicine but she didnt realize they had the setings different or something and she actually turned the meds off. Sooo, within a few minutes I was back to the uncontrollable shaking, shivering, and crying. It took them over 2 hrs to get me just to the point I could relax a bit. I began to think I was being a baby and asked to have a counselor come in to talk to me, but instead the surgeon who assisted my doctor came in and explained it was true pain. They could tell because my blood pressure thats usually between 60/40 to 100/75 was 180/100 to 210/100 so that told them something was definatly wrong..and because I was on chronic pain meds it was harder to control my pain.
By 3am I was feeling better but the heprin shot they gave me in my thigh, although didnt hurt when it was given, caused my leg to start swelling....determined to be the metal allergy reaing its ugly head..so benedryl was given. I was able to read a magazine article and watch a tv show but had horrible urge to pee even though I had a cath, and the urine wasnt coming out really well, so they took me to the bathroom and sat me on the toilet, amazingly it worked. by that time it was 6 am and they took the cath out. This has never hurt me before but this time it was very painful. The nurse said that the "balloon" didnt fully deflate so I would have some bleeding..and I did. It took me 3 tries to finally go but I did have success! I was then given a graham craker OH YUM! I was suppose to have been able to eat right after if I wanted, but because of the intestine issue they decided to go slow..well slow was that, then a popsicle, then a full breakfast..so not too bad. At 7 the assistant surgeon came in and told me she was taking the packing out (again something I wasnt suppose to have but needed due to the other repairs). That felt very strange but also hurt terribly and she was worried so took a peek. the packing had dried to a suture and had pulled it out, but wasnt bleeding so much that she needed to restitch it so just told me to wear a pad and left. The nurse came in and gave me 2 percocet and said they were going to take the iv out so I would go back to my normal pain meds but that the assistant surgeon had asked that I be given a bit extra to deal with the packing thing, and all the unhooking that was about to be done (from surgery up until this point I had oxygen, pulse ox monitor, heart monitor co2 monitor, leg cuffs...which felt great, 2 IV's, a continual blood pressure monitor cuff and a continual temp monitor...talk about wired! Once everything but one IV, that was capped off, I felt a bit better. My doctor came in to check on me, brought me a couple of things and gave me the go ahead to do some things. I was able to get up and put on my undies, tshirt, and sleep pants...hop in my slippers and take a walk. OOOH was that a good/bad thing. I felt a bit better in one way and a bit worse in others. When I got back I asked for more meds and then took an hour nap.
I woke up at noon to nasty lunch, and hubby came in shortly after. I tried to eat but it was horrible so hubby set it aside. I told him if he would go eat, I was going to try to nap so he did and when he came back the nurse came in and went over things and told me I could go home.

So this was a world of firsts for me along with a bunch of change of plans. It was the first time a doctor had come up to me, and held my hand in the operating room because I was scared held it until I was asleep. It was also not the "minimal pain, feelbetter than before" proceedure we had thought it would be. Im told that I still have a few days of really bad and then I should start to feel a lot better. Because of the other repairs my "do not"list increased in items but also times..no sweeping, laundry, dishes, bed changing for 10 to 12 weeks!

Sorry this was long but it was 2 days worth!
I hope you all are fairing better than I.
Kim
TVH with cystoscopy, bladder and sigmoid colon adhesion repairs kept ovaries
Unread 01-23-2008, 09:21 PM

thank you. your still in my thoughts also. I wish the gas or something would pass now...have you yet?
Unread 01-23-2008, 10:57 PM

I've been able to have a few small BM's and I'm having lots of gas too. I am taking a stool softner and drinking lots of apple juice and fruit. I think fear of pain or of hurting something inside is my problem with the BM's. It will get better I promise. I take something to read when I'm in the bathroom it helps keep my mind off of my fears. I know this sounds graphic but if I lay on my side it helps the gas escape. And with each BM I have you would think I just won the lottery my family thinks i'm nuts. Today is my fourth day since my surgery and I'm seeing improvements each day. Just hang in there!
Unread 01-24-2008, 04:53 PM

I worked so hard making myself have a bm that I over did it and now have diarrha (or however you spell it) I can't eat anything now without it going right through me. UGH, I guess it's right when people say be careful what you wish for. I am feeling worse today, day 4 than I have all week. Boy I thought the TVH was supposed to be so easy. UGH!
Unread 01-24-2008, 09:43 PM

I had my surgery TVH on Mon, Jan 21. Today was probably my worst day. I'm feeling occasional twinges and a lot of pressure down in my groin area. I had a little pink/white discharge but my Dr. said it's normal. If I get the urge to urinate I have to urinate right away because the pressure down there gets very bad if I don't go. I've tried to go without pain meds today but I had to take them tonight because I was hurting so much. I have been taking it easy and maybe yesterday I was feeling better and may have overdid it by being up so much. I'm going to post a separate post on how thankful I am for our neighbors in my community.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register