Hysterectomy dates Jan 21-Jan 28,2008 - Page 18 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Jan 21-Jan 28,2008 Hysterectomy dates Jan 21-Jan 28,2008

Unread 02-03-2008, 07:42 PM
Hysterectomy dates Jan 21-Jan 28,2008

Hello to all my sisters,

I know the feeling, gas, bloating, and just general tiredness. I was doing so well after about 3 days, but am starting to feel as though I am SEROIUSLY OVERDOING IT. I'm going nuts here at home, though. I thought I would enjoy thr time more, but as I'm here, I just think of all the things I "should" be doing around the house. And this weather! Ugh...
On the bright side, I am not bleeding anymore and am finally no loonger anemic! I almost don't know what to do with myself not cramping and needing 2 pads at a time. I can't wait to go swimming!
I hope you all are hanging in there, and staying positive. I wish you all the best with your recovery
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-03-2008, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby1971
It has now been 12 days since my TAH and I am still going quite slowly. Being at home with hubby and the kids is actually frustrating me more because I can't sit idly - I can see the mess!!

Shelby, it's funny how hearing that someone else is having the same frustrations as I am is somehow comforting. It's not that I'm happy about your situation, I'm just glad to know I'm not alone.

The first week post-op so many sweet family members and friends stepped in to help me. They took the kids, they brought us meals and DH took gentle care of me. But the second week was somewhat different. The kids came home and meals stopped coming in. And even though my family keeps saying to me, "Let us do it--just stay in bed", it's not that easy. I too can't stand looking at the mess. (It's funny how our standards of clean tend to differ from those of DH). And so I'm up and about way more than I should be because I can't seem to help myself.

I don't want to sound like I'm blaming my family, though. They truly do want me to rest and get better--it's just that they aren't used to me being in bed all of the time. And truthfully, more often than not I get up because I can't let things go that really I should be able to let go (laundry, scattered toys, my daughter's hair). And on top of that, I think that one thing I've found in most women (especially myself) is that we're good at helping others, but we're not so good at receiving the help

So, I'm going to try and learn a couple of things from this experience.

1. I'm going to try and be a better recipient of help. I'm going to acknowledge my limits (without labeling them as weaknesses) and graciously allow others to help me.

2. When friends/family go through a prolonged recovery period, I'm going to be a second weeker. By this I mean that so many people rush in at the beginning to help (which is wonderful), and then that quickly dies off. So I'm going to take the second shift and remember that it's those weeks after when they are still healing that I can offer my help.

Anyway, just some thoughts which you should all feel free to ignore. The combination of mandated bedrest for the last 48 hours combined with pain meds has somehow made me feel overly reflective tonight. Sorry that all of you have to listen to it!

I head to see Dr. in the morning. Hopefully, I'll get some answers about my bleeding.

Sleep well, friends!

Amy
Unread 02-03-2008, 08:50 PM

I'm new here, just found your website. I went to see a gynaecologist on the on Jan 22 for heavy bleeding and she found cysts on one ovary, which I never knew about. She couldn't see the other ovary on ultra sound. Scheduled surgery for Jan 25th. She wasn't so concerned about the fibroids but the cysts were more of a "red flag". I was a bit surprised about going in for a hysterectomy. I didn't cry in the office. Decided on a sub-total.

Admitted to the hospital at 5 am (very hard not having coffee) was shown to my room. The nurse showed me how things worked but after showing me the mini-bar I didn't really hear much else. Okay like I've never seen a mini-bar in a hospital room before but then I was in Singapore. Yup, definitely Princess type hospital. Also had a nice sofa for visitors to sit on.

Okay, serious, had laparoscopic surgery, took 4 hours, everything was stuck all together, weight 500 gms and the uterus was the size of a 4 month pregnancy. Everything sent to pathology. Results came back, no cancer at all. Amazing how the doctor could remove such big pieces though the little holes, now I know why I have big bruises.

The time in the hospital was very good. The nurses were really nice. If I use the call button a nurse would show up on less than 2 minutes. This is the place to be for great service. Even when food was not bad When I finally go tot eat soft food again, it was all laid out on the plate like some fancy restaurant, of course there's not much taste in soft food but they do try to make it as nice as possible. I stayed 1 week in Singapore after being discharged. Got home Sunday. I live in Jakarta.

Everything seems to be fine, I do feel the bruises a bit. The kitchen counter is at the exact same height as my bruises so I should avoid anything in the kitchen :-). I was given HRT creams for 3 months. I suppose that I should wean myself off HRT after that as menopause was probably not that far away for me. I'm 51 years old, well I'm really only 29 but some people seem rather more fussy about the year thing.

Guess mostly that this was a bit of a surprise and now it's trying to figure out what to do about sudden menopause.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-03-2008, 09:37 PM
LAVH/BSO, TVT, and some Breast revisions, nipples etc from my BM with recon due to BC

Surgery was 1/23/06. I had 3 surgeons and was to start at 8:30 but they didn't start til 10:00 cuz change in who went first meant change of equipment set-up etc or whatever. So, I woke in recovery at about 2:45-3pm and couldn't figure out what took so long. It was another long day for my oldest daughter!!!
They did an epidural and used two pumps to separate out the two drugs to help regulate my BP cuz we had trouble with it the last time staying to low.
Made it through that night with 1 hour checks so not much sleep. Next am started itching. Anesthesiologist checked on me early afternoon and turned off the epidural. Found I was having a severe itching reaction with some redness to the dilaudid. Started on PO meds.- and Benadry for the itching!!! My potassium and phosphates dropped also so had to get replacements. They finally pulled the foley late afternoon, early evening 2nd day and I had to pee shortly after, but couldn't. Took awhile and I started by leaning so far forward my hands were on the floor to hold me up. Glad that improved and was able to finally sit up more. They also pulled the epidural and I had fluid out in my tissues and got a nice skin tear on my back. Probably related to the itching maybe.
My belly sure felt prego, gasy and only passed gas that next AM FRI before going home.
I am doing ok. Stopped the pain meds Sat and seeing how it goes. I think I must have overdone it the last two days cuz I was getting less discharge- lite pink once in awhile or nothing and now it has started back up and is lite red. I read all the post up stuff I could here on the board and figure I will see how tomorrow goes and take it easy. If it gets worse will call the Dr. office. I saw the Dr that did my TVT and she said that was going ok so far and she checked the vaginal cuff and said it looked ok. I don't see my onc/gyn until almost 6 weeks out and I am supposed to go back to work a couple days after that.
He said I should be able to do the lifting which I find strange when I c an only lift 10 pounds for 6 weeks and then right back to 50+++pounds after that!
So, swelly belly here. Have had constipation problems and am taking 3 colace a day and trying to make sure I get fruits and vegies daily. I think I slacked some on the water so increasing that.
Unread 02-04-2008, 04:53 AM

Good Morning Sisters!
How is everyone doing today? My day started off with a wake up stretch in bed...............which I forgot is not such a good idea! I made my hubby check my incision carefully, I was afraid I had popped open! Sure felt like it!
Today is my 10th day post op and my first day on my own. My hubby took vacation time but he went back to work two minutes ago. I am feeling stronger and will be fine, I am sure. I am still planning on not overdoing even with nobody here to spy on me. I learned my lesson last week, when I spent two solid days up, 4 days post op because I felt so good and boy, oh boy, did I regret it. I figure, if others can take good care of me, I **** well better too when left to my own devices. Why do we take such good care of everyone in our lives but not usually ourselves? I say revolt! It's time to stop that. I call it "Women's disease". We need to take good care of ourselves, not so we can continue to take good care of others, but we need to realize that we are so worth it! A friend sent me a get well card and she wrote on it "Inch by inch, life's a cinch. Yard by yard, it's pretty hard!". So my mantra today is "inch by inch" and it's ok to take "care" of myself for a change!
Unread 02-04-2008, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indoprincess
I'm new here, just found your website.
Everything seems to be fine, I do feel the bruises a bit. The kitchen counter is at the exact same height as my bruises so I should avoid anything in the kitchen :-). I was given HRT creams for 3 months. I suppose that I should wean myself off HRT after that as menopause was probably not that far away for me. I'm 51 years old, well I'm really only 29 but some people seem rather more fussy about the year thing.

Guess mostly that this was a bit of a surprise and now it's trying to figure out what to do about sudden menopause.
Welcome IndioPrincess! You really have a good handle on things, considering your surgery came about so quickly. Was it a long trip from Singapore to your home? I hope you will continue to let us know about your recovery!
Unread 02-04-2008, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfsimon
Good Morning Sisters!
? I say revolt! It's time to stop that. I call it "Women's disease". We need to take good care of ourselves, not so we can continue to take good care of others, but we need to realize that we are so worth it! A friend sent me a get well card and she wrote on it "Inch by inch, life's a cinch. Yard by yard, it's pretty hard!". So my mantra today is "inch by inch" and it's ok to take "care" of myself for a change!
Good Morning WolfSimon!
I know what you mean about taking care of ourselves. My plan today is to lay about a bit as well. I stayed up late watching that dumb football game because I didn't want to be rude and go to bed. DUH! Anyway, swellybelly here too, so I am laying low. DH will be around, in and out, but I think I am in good shape on my own now. As long as the dog is watered and I don't have to lift anything I am fine.
Unread 02-04-2008, 06:53 AM

it is about a week and half now post surgery and things are going really well...i am up and moving around alot even went back to working part time yesterday felt pretty good, been having 1-2 bm a day still a little painful but nothing cant handle, have a little bit of discharge still but nothing to major still have to remind myself not to lift...went to lunch last thursday with inlaws for my bday and then hubby and i went shopping on friday. hope everyone starts feeling better soon. i go for dr appt tomorrow...
Unread 02-04-2008, 07:27 AM

I can't believe all we have to go through! I am feeling like this website is the greatest support I have had with this whole thing!THANKS TO ALL!!Keep up drinking the water that really has helped me with the bm and short walks have helped with the gas. My back is better today and the doc said it could be from the gas they pumped into me during surgery that leaked into surrounding tissue. I am planning a "margherita-no-more-period "party for myself also. My daughters and I are making hyster sister shirts and I cannot wait to celebrate this new chapter in my life!!Love and hugs to all Thanks for the words of wisdom!
Unread 02-04-2008, 08:11 AM

It's good to see everyone sounding a bit more upbeat.

I have to put off my parting because of the antibiotics, they don't mix with alcohol.

My belly is swelly today too. I know I did too much over the weekend. DH has been very helpful and so have the kids. I just have been sitting at the computer too much for work and school. You have to keep up on things because it would be disastrous to get behind.

I took a nice shower this morning and I'm going to work with many rests. Then I will lay in bed reading for school, with the occasional nap.

Okay, so how about that hospital with the mini-bar in the room. Was it a hospital or a hotel? Man, I could have used a nice glass of wine after surgery. That would have rocked.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register