Hysterectomy dates Jan 21-Jan 28,2008 - Page 30 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Jan 21-Jan 28,2008 Hysterectomy dates Jan 21-Jan 28,2008

Unread 02-08-2008, 03:55 PM
gas

I did a bunch of walking my first few days after surgery and got most the gas out. But then, if I lay in bed for very long it seems to come back! I make sure to stay a little active every day, go for a walk or go walk up and down my stairs at my apartment a few times a day. It seems the more you are still, that gas builds up again! I've been taking Phayzyme anti-gas and walking a lot - it's the only way, so try doing more physical activity. I also can sleep now on my belly and that pushes the gas out at night. I have not let my boyfriend stay over since surgery because of this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-08-2008, 04:59 PM
Hysterectomy dates Jan 21-Jan 28,2008

Try eatting fiber one cereal.
Unread 02-08-2008, 05:26 PM

Hi Donna,
I do have Fiber One and have mixed it with my raisin bran...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-08-2008, 06:19 PM

My doctor said I could have reoccuring bouts of gas pain and pressure for up to 6-8 weeks post op.

After my tubal ligation I had gas really bad for about 3 weeks but after my appendectomy I had it only 2 weeks.

I really think it depends but he said dont be surprised to one day feel wonderful and the next feel like Im back at week 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelinCalif
Thanks for responding, maume3. It's comforting to know I'm not alone in this.

So do you think this is from the general anesthesia then? I hadn't thought of that. I wonder why it would reappear as a big problem after 2 weeks. Anyone else still suffering from gas pains? When do they go away for ever?
Unread 02-08-2008, 06:43 PM

Sandy - Hope that you get back to having regular BM's soon. This is something that you need to have. How much are you eating? Regular like before? After surgery I was asked about having BM and then when I said no, the question was "but your passing wind right?" Since I didn't have any solid food for 3 days it was impossible. Once I was allowed to eat solid food again I made sure to get enough fibre

CafePink06 - did the nurse get back to you? Did the bright red blood stop? Sitting is BORING but healing is a lot better then problems because you start back too soon. I now, I'm bored out of my mind right now. If you're bored come over here and visit me!

MelinCalif - I understood from reading about LAH procedures that the gas they put in for surgery is gone in a couple of days. If you have sudden new stabbing pain, I check with you doctor. as that does not sound right. The only gas pain I have is from digestion and getting back complete normal BM's again. I know my Mom had a lot of gas pains from constipation after her surgery (different kind) but she would be in a lot of pain and went from constipation to diarrhoea in the blink of an eye. It was really hard to get her back to normal (what ever that is) again.

I never thought about driving since everyone has drivers here. I was planning to try bike riding this morning but just didn't feel up to it so maybe on Sunday we can try for a little ride around the neighbourhood. I usually use my bike to go pay the bills and to get groceries. I have been walking which seems to help from getting sore and to keep all the systems moving better.
Unread 02-08-2008, 07:15 PM
17 days after...

Boy what a story I have. What I thought was going to be not so bad ended up being awful. It all started when I had a supracervical hyster with removal of left ovary on Jan. 2nd. Everything went well, only in the hospital over night.

Well, about 4 days later I developed a low grade fever and burning/hurting when I would pee so I thought it was a bladder infection from the cath they had in me. My doctor calls in a prescription for me and then sees me a few days later. He sends me for a CT scan and I have an abcess. He calls me later that day and tells me to go to the hospital, I have to be admitted and have IV antibiotics and a drain put in the abcess. I spent 5 days there (missed my children terribly and vice versa). The day I was to be discharged they had to put another drain in because the one that was in for 3 days fell out of the abcess.......UGH!

So, 7 days later I start bleeding bad vaginally. Scared hubby and I to death. I thought I was hemmoraging and going to die. This happens at 1);30 at night. I call my doc and he says to meet him at the ER. He tells us he's going to open me up and fix this, take everything and try to leave the right ovary depending how it looks when he gets in there. He has to call in a crew to the OR because it's now mignight and no one stays in the OR all night. So at 1:00 am I'm having another surgery. I was so scared, didn't know what was going on or going to happen. It ended up the blood vessels in my cervix were bleeding so he took everything, even my right ovary. I spent another 4 days in the hospital. I've had this yellowish/brown discharge since my first surgery on the 2nd. My doc has cultured it 4 times now, the first 3 nothing bad but the last one Monday had bacteria that is sometimes found in the intestinal tract. I'm now worried about this!! I have to take meds for 7 days and I'm guessing he'll do another culture to make sure it's gone.

I don't feel too bad. I'm a little sore and sometimes feel tired but feeling better with each new day! I'm not doing anything major around the house (still have 4 weeks till I can get back to my normal routein) but doing little things like some cooking, dishes and getting things my kids need. (I have 3 boys ages 8, 4 and 2). I started my estrogen yesterday becuase I've had some hot flashes. I am on Vivelle dot 0.05mg. Hoping it works for me, but I don't want any bad side effects!!!!!! Just can't wait to get back to normal, if there is a normal anymore.....lol. I feel like I'm missing out on doing things with my kids and I really miss sex!!

That's my story. Hope everyone else is recovering well and feeling better as the days go by! Hang in there and God Bless!!!!!
Unread 02-08-2008, 09:20 PM

my goodness Dodgegal!!! youve been through hell!!
I hope your doing better now, if not...real soon
Unread 02-08-2008, 09:41 PM

I hear some of you are having hot flashes, I seem to be the odd lady out because I keep having more of a cold flash. No cold sweat, I just get real cold real fast ans shivering. Is anyone else having this?

Tammy
Unread 02-08-2008, 09:46 PM
I feel so much better

Something from surgery that I LOVE!! - I do not sweat anymore! I swear, I used to sweat so much every day, I would have to apply deodorant about 3 times a day. Now, I hardly sweat at all. I think it's because the endo in my appendix gave me a low-grade fever everyday and now that's gone. I love it! It seemed like I had more of a hot flash thing BEFORE my surgery and now I feel normal. I wish I'd done this years ago. I feel like I am just literally just beginning my life now! I want to do so many things that I could not do before! The first thing, is get a dog. I never felt well enough to take care of an animal and now I can!
Unread 02-09-2008, 06:33 AM

Dodgegal I hope that you are feeling better with each new day. Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register