Hysterectomy dates Jan 21-Jan 28,2008 - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Jan 21-Jan 28,2008 Hysterectomy dates Jan 21-Jan 28,2008

Unread 01-26-2008, 06:21 PM
Hysterectomy dates Jan 21-Jan 28,2008

Hi Everyone,
I just found this site and this particular discussion. I just had a LAVH on Tuesday, 1/22, and it went very well. I had been suffering from increased blood loss during my periods for the past year and a half but just thought it was part of peri-menopause (I just turned 45 on Monday) until over Christmas when I started bleeding very hard for five straight hours in the middle of the night (2 weeks after my regular period). I went to the gyno and she found I had six submucosal fibroids and one was half way out the cervix already. She could have tried to operate and not remove the uterus but was pretty worried about blood loss during the operation, and since I didn't want any more children, we decided on hysterectomy. I had to go in for four days of iron infusion in the hospital because I was so anemic.

I had never had a surgery before or ever been hospitalized aside from the one night spent for each of my children's births, so I was pretty nervous about being put under or waking up in a great deal of pain.

I went in to pre-op at noon and they were very kind and patient and professional. The worst part was the enema and being wheeled into to the OR with no medication yet. I really had to pray not to be afraid at that point. But then they gave me some medicine and I woke up in recovery with absolutely no pain at all, which was a huge relief. I was just lying in bed, cozy and warm. Then one of the nurses showed me a Polaroid photo of the fibroids and uterus that the surgeon removed (kept the ovaries, which I was very happy about). That was pretty shocking, to say the least.

Next, they wheeled me over to the main hospital to my room and set me up with a morphine drip at about 7:30 p.m. I put my iPod on and just kept clicking the morphine and the iPod all night long. My roommate was an elderly lady who had a lot of pain (a 9, she said) from a knee replacement that day, and her alarms kept going off all night long, so not much sleep. The next day, I woke up feeling really good and they took out the vaginal packing and the catheter. I was able to pee and walk around the halls a few times. My doctor came in and switched me off the IV medicine to oral Percoset and said I could go home that day or the next. I chose the next day because I was a little worried about managing pain that night.

It was a bit more painful. Got up to a 5, mostly because I had visitors come see me for 5 straight hours and it wore me out and I forgot to get pain medicine. So that night was a little less comfortable, but the Percoset helped. The next day the doctor discharged me with three prescriptions (Percoset, Motrin 600 and iron pills). My husband picked me up, we stopped at the pharmacy and then I got home.

My bed has never felt so good. I immediately fell asleep for four hours, woke up to eat then went back to bed for 10 hours. Yesterday, I rested by reading the paper, surfing the internet and reading a book, plus talking on the phone. I slept another 10 hours, waking up just to pee and take some medicine. Today, I am hardly in any pain. The gas bubbles from the past two days seem to be nearly gone. Oh, and I had a BM, thank goodness! I was starting to worry.

So, all in all, the week has gone well and I'm so looking forward to not being anemic, not being a bloody mess every month and to not living with the fear of embarrassing situations (I've had them in restaurants, on airplanes, in the classroom-- I'm a teacher -- in meetings, on sail boats, on hikes, etc...).

I hope that my ovaries don't go into shock (as my doctor said they might, or even die?) and that my recovery continues without setbacks.

Good luck to all of you who are recovering and those planning to have this surgery in the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-26-2008, 06:55 PM
All is going good, so far...

I am home now and all is well. I ended up having only laproscopic hysterectomy. I still have the ovaries!! I had scar tissue attached to my bladder and colon which was attached to my uterus. The Doc got it all off with no complications. The right ovary that had a cyst was filled with fluid and was drained and removed. All is good and I am glad to be home!

Thanks for all of the support and well wishes!
Unread 01-26-2008, 07:42 PM

Well I got home yesterday at 3. I'm feeling a little better. Had a TAH and ovaries taken out . Doc said everything was alot bigger than she expected. I won't know what pathology said until Tuesday. I can't stand all the GAS!! It is the worst. The waiting was terrible, glad it's over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-26-2008, 07:45 PM

yes, pain goes from my belly to above my knee. dr warned me about that and pain in my butt, how fun is this???
Unread 01-26-2008, 08:13 PM

I had a LSH the 24th. Everything went well. Dr. said uterus was full of fibroids and needed to come out, and should have come out a long time ago. A 45 minute surgery took him 2 hours 15 minutes. He said he made the cervix pretty thin and put a stitch in it just to make sure I get the support. He said he knew I wanted to keep it so he did what he could.

Hospital staff was outstanding. I was baffled as to why they did get me up earlier. I was in my room by 6:00 pm, ate breakfast at 6:00 am (I was up so they got food for me early), cath out and pump taken away at 8:00 am and still no mention of me getting up. So at 9:30 I asked DH to help me up. I got up (very painful) but soon I felt pretty good. Dr. released me at noon.

So far things are alright, gas pains are a killer but moving around helps a great deal.

Staying on top of pain meds started taking Gas X and MOM last night and something started working real good, too good really. BM’s are frequent and very loose but the gas that passes with them are a great relief. I can’t sleep is really the only complaint I have right now. My family and a wonderful friend of mine have proven to be here when I need them. They all have gone out of their way for me. Friend spent the day with me a fixed a complete dinner and did the dishes. Daughter ran and bought me more supportive granny underwear when we all figured out that I need more support on my tummy. I am very blessed.

I hope everyone’s recovering is going well. You all are in my prayers.
Unread 01-26-2008, 08:13 PM

I had sharp gas pains in my upper shoulders and under my ribs. Not fun or expected. But I'm on day 4 now and they seem to be gone.
Unread 01-26-2008, 09:17 PM

thank you for answering this! I was getting worried, thought maybe I was getting a clot.
Kim

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertgal
yes, pain goes from my belly to above my knee. dr warned me about that and pain in my butt, how fun is this???
Unread 01-26-2008, 09:23 PM

wish mine were! if I breathe too deeply it feels like im being stabbed through the sternum
  Quote:
Originally Posted by MelinCalif
I had sharp gas pains in my upper shoulders and under my ribs. Not fun or expected. But I'm on day 4 now and they seem to be gone.
Unread 01-26-2008, 09:51 PM

Oh, my gas pains were stabbing, too, every time I breathed in deeply. The medicine that worked for them was Percoset because it made me just fall into peaceful sleep. The Motrin didn't seem to help with the gas pains but it did help with any swelling or abdominal pain. Today I don't have any gas pains, so they will go away probably by Day 4.
Unread 01-26-2008, 10:29 PM
I made it!

Hi All,

I guess I am slow getting back into things! I had surgery on Monday and was as scared as I thought I would be! The poor pre op nurse tried to take my blood pressure it was 180 over something so she said we would try again later. Mine is usually low so you can imagaion I was pretty stressed. I had my sweet husband with me and a good friend from church showed up to see me and wait with Stephen. I was so upset they let my husband go into the pre op area where it is usually not allowed. My anastheia guy was very sweet and he put me out so I never even saw the or. I was in quite a lot of pain but was finally doing better so my DH ran and got the kids, by the time he got back I was in pain and it scared them. I ended up staying an extra day in the hospital since I hurt so bad and just couldn't take going home to my house full of kids and noise until I felt better. I feeling a little better every day but still hurt. I don't tollerate pain very well if you haven't guessed that by now. I haven't had a bm yet so I am taking some miralax tonight. I haven't had much of an appitiate so I haven't ate very much yet. I have lost a bit of weight and wouldn't mind if that was a side affect!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register