Hysterectomy dates Jan 21-Jan 28,2008 - Page 54 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Jan 21-Jan 28,2008 Hysterectomy dates Jan 21-Jan 28,2008

Unread 02-21-2008, 08:15 AM
Hysterectomy dates Jan 21-Jan 28,2008

Do you still have your ovaries? Are you on any kind of hormones? Just an fyi - I took Prozac for a while and it was great, but not everyone does well on anti-depressants. Have you gotten outside much, exercise, or any sunshine? Sometimes that can help when people have the blues...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2008, 09:31 AM

Hi Laminct
I had surgery the same day as you did, But also had my ovaries removed.
I feel about the same way you do, my surgery was much less time, about 90 minutes, but "picture Perfect", but man this is taking longer than I thought. I cant sleep at night, I tire way easier than I ever did, I will be returning to a 56 hour work week 3/18/08 and hoping I can cope with it.
can you give a nutshell version of what your doctor told you to expect with recovery?
thanks
Unread 02-21-2008, 09:48 AM

Sure! She basically told me that I would be out 6-8 weeks, even with LAVH, because it is still major surgery. So any thoughts I had about going back to work in 2 weeks, wasn't going to happen. She did explain that I would get a form of pms for about 6-12 months, but will get easier every month. Also, that I would get very tired in the afternoon. She also said the internal stitches would "fall out", which they haven't yet. She explained that the pain I will feel, is because everything inside has been in the same spot for 40 years, and now needs to find new places to settle. Makes sense! I went back 2 weeks after surgery to remove stitches, checked for UTI, none there, then back March 5. I, too work 50-60 hours a week, with alot of traveling, so I am not rushing it. I will go back when I am 100%. (Per my boss and DR)!! She told me so much, and was very thorough! I was well prepared. She also told me to walk, return to activities as I see fit, and don't overdo it, but I really don't know what "don't overdo it" is! I am sure alot of women can relate to that statement!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-22-2008, 04:09 PM

I think some of doctors just do not give you enough info on what to expect after this surgery. I am grateful I found this site and have read those helpful hints on this site on what to expect at the different check points - ie seek 1-2 , week 3-4 etc. They have alot more stuff on here than i realized even once we are cleared at approx. 6 weeks. Weight gain and metabolism etc and many other helpful topics!!
I feel like I am getting Some energy back but worry about having enough when I go back to work. I imagine I will be dragging my tush for awhile!!!
I have started on my treadmill at a slow pace but will be glad when I can do more. I have lost weight over the last 1 1/2 years and was finally started a body toning class. I have lots of work to do!!! With being off and not being able to do anything I at first had dropped a few pounds and no appetite. After 2-3 weeks of that, I got bored and started baking cookies, cheesecake etc. I would give half of everything away to my family, but I noticed the scale started going upwards quickly!!! WHOA!!! Had to stop baking!!!!!
I have only seen 1 stitch so far. Discharge has changed to yellow/brown and minimal. Can't wait to not wear pads !!!! I had a TVT and was having to wear a lite days pad for quite awhile for coughing etc. So I am going to be thrilled not to have to wear one again!!! I may now try to learn to play golf this year!!!!
My appt isn't til March 3 and I am looking forward to it for the fact, I just want to know if I am healing ok and to have some one on one time to know what to expect say for the next 6 mos!!! What is normal and what is not!!!
Well, they say right now it is 2 steps forward and 1 step back. Probably tomorrow I will crash and lay on the couch and watch the movies i rented!! Today we hit in the 20s for temp and the sun is shining and I can't tell you how much that can perk up your mood and to beable to get out!!!
Take care and hope you are all doing ok~~~ Guess this was a long note-- sorry--
Unread 02-22-2008, 04:46 PM

Cafepink

I know what you mean about the energy. I felt like I had energy yesterday and went on a cleaning frenzy. I can't believe how out of shape I am! My legs are sore today! Also lost my appetite for quite a while, and it has definitely come back, but the thing that tastes the best to me is chocolate chip cookies. Bad! Of course my parents brought me those huge, chunky, chocolate chip cookies from Costco, and how can you resist!! Evil!

I have seen no stitches yet and am down to just a panty liner "just in case". Seems to be pretty clear though, although I hear it can start because of the stitches dissolving. I am sure getting bored of TV and even my books. Ready for work but my boss and husband are saying no, wait til the 6 week mark. I hate being told what to do, but I guess I have to listen this time. I would suffer the big "I told you so" if anything were to happen.

I'm off for the renal ultrasound now to check that kidney and ureter that were infected. Hopefully all is well. I'll let you know. Haven't had an ultrasound in 11 years - the "it's a boy!" ultrasound. I know this one won't say that!! Haha

Hope everyone is doing well and have a great weekend!

Sandy
Unread 02-22-2008, 05:58 PM

Hi all, I've decided that I don't want surgery and am going to have the doctor take it bake now. I have a headache this morning so am not enjoying recovery when there is not energy. I'm having trouble sleeping but that could be more from the construction site next door that is not suppose to be working during the night but do anyway or because I can't sleep due to recovery. I'm going to make coffee right now and then do something exciting like watch TV.
Unread 02-23-2008, 07:31 AM
Dilly P.

Hi Sisters
Boy I can surely relate to the high and low energy. I been recovering 4 weeks now from abdominal hysterectomy. I had my uterus and overies removed due to fibroid tumors and excessive bleeding. I was severely aniemic.
I've been experiencing mood swings. The doctor has given me a low dose estrogen patch. That has helped with the "hot flashes". My incision is healing good haven't passed any stitches though. Still experiencing pressure when I go the bathroom. Guess this is normal.
Woke this morning with a furocious headache. Have been experiencing very vivid dreams. I have been busy with my home projects sewing, reading, crocheting. I feel guilty that I'm not back to work yet. I feel my husband doesn't totally understand the healing process. My close female friends and my doctor want me to take the full six weeks.
Some days I just want to sleep and be lazy. This is not very easy for me to do mentally. One thing I am practicing to do is listening to my body. Taking it One day At A Time. Have a good day sisters.
Unread 02-23-2008, 07:42 AM

Good Morning Sisters!

Today is not a good day. I think that I have developed a yeast infection from the antibiotic. I just can't win. I have a call into the doctor. I can't take anything over the counter because you insert them, and we all know that is a no, no...

I have a low grade temp again this morning.

Well, I hope that everyone has a great day!
Take care!
Unread 02-23-2008, 08:00 AM

Cujetskiin,
I experienced a yeast infection from antibiotic also. Doctor called in a one time pill to take (sorry can't remember the name) but it worked great.
It was the cheapest prescription ever. 1 pill $3.00.

Hope this suggestion helps.
Feel Better...

lol Dilly
Unread 02-23-2008, 08:21 AM

Just remember antibiotics can be a good - thing bad thing. Eat yogurt everyday while on antibiotics. You can get an antibiotic induced condition (C-def) from them. Just what you need---more to worry about. Sorry. Yougurt can be a good thing to help.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register