5th day post op question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

5th day post op question 5th day post op question

Unread 01-21-2008, 07:15 AM
5th day post op question

Hey Laides,
I had my TVH on the 16th and I am doing pretty good. We took our son to see a movie on Saturday and then went and walked around the mall a little. I paid for walking around the mall later that night! Way over did it..Anyways, I have a quesiton. Lastnight I woke up soaked in sweat. I mean I had to get up and change my pjs I was so soaked. My dr. left my ovaries so I dont guess its menopause kicking in, but what could it be? Just my body going through all the surgery pains or what?Also, He tried to do a bladder sling while he was in there but he accidently punched a hole in my bladder so he coulndt do that. I have two stictches on the outside of my vagina kinnda mid way down and they catch on everything and they hurt!! what can i do about them?

Thanks for all of your help,
Randi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2008, 07:57 AM
5th day post op question

Hi Randi
Wow, three days post op is wayyy early for an outing like that. I hope you will see that your body is going to need some time to rest and put all it's energy into healing. Walking is a good thing, but only if it doesn't cause fatigue and pain. You'll need to learn how to pace yourself and listen to your body. It will tell you when you have reached your limits and it's always best not to push past those.

It sounds like your ovaries have gone into shock. That isn't unusual right after a hyst. They lose their main source of blood from the uterus and they need time to adjust. Mine did it and I suffered through the hot flashes, like you have described here. In the hospital the nurses brought me a big fan to use in my room. The ovaries usually will adjust and resume doing their job in a few weeks. That time is different for everyone.

I'm sorry to hear your dr wasn't able to do the bladder sling. I had one done and had the little incisions in the labia, so I'm guessing this might be what you have too. They are tender little things. I don't remember mine catching on things. If this is a big problem you might want to call and ask your dr about it. Maybe he could trim up the sutures that are catching. If the problem is your underwear, you might want to consider buying a few inexpensive pairs in a larger size.

I had several things done and was very tender for a few weeks. I found it helpful to use a donut pillow for sitting. This might help if you're having any trouble with that. Sitting can be even more of a problem than standing for some women. I hope your incisions heal quickly. Let us know how you do.
's, Rita
Unread 01-21-2008, 09:04 AM
5th day post op question

I know I did to much, its just like today, I feel fantastic and I wanna get up and do things.. I am not the type of person to lay around and do nothing. I'm not in any pain and I feel good. Yesterday I did have something weird happen though...This is kindda gross but here it goes. When I went to the bathroom yesterday and I wiped, it was nothing but dark gritty like blood...I guess thats just all the stuff working its way out?? Kindda scared me at first but most of the day yesterday it was like that every time i went to the bathroom..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2008, 09:16 AM
5th day post op question

Dark, brownish discharge is usually old blood. It sounds like your body might just be cleansing itself and getting rid of loose tissue. If it keeps it up I would call the dr and ask about it, just in case it's something else.

It's great you don't hurt. Some women are fortunate to feel pretty good. Just pace yourself. Your body is still needing to heal and it can be harder not to over do when you feel so good. I hope you continue to do well.
's, Rita
Unread 01-21-2008, 09:59 AM
5th day post op question

Thanks dear!!! Your the best..It stopped lastnight the dischared stuff...I was freaked out at first. I told my fiance, i was like what the heck is this crap..hahaha...How long did you bleed after your surgery? I am still having to wear a pad..
Unread 01-21-2008, 10:08 AM
5th day post op question

Hi Kera
ditto with the rest. Even if you feel good - so much going on inside you...hundreds of stitiches trying to heal.

- some people seem to get no discharge after their op. some people like me have different kinds throughout recovery..none at first( and I thought yay, throw away the pads)

.. then some red spotting, then quite alot of pinkish stuff ( weeks 4-6, when the internal stitches started to dissolve and come away- and sometimes this smells too!).

..I'm 6 weeks post-op and some of my friends here are still having spotting..

all normal I think..

just listen to your body, post questions and rest, rest, rest...
good luck x
Unread 01-21-2008, 10:17 AM
5th day post op question

Hi Kera33,
Hope you haven't done too much today you must just listen to you yr body,
I am now 10weeks post op, and I bled for a couple of weeks after just brownish really but if I did too much the quantity was more oh to be a women eh. I too could not sit down & do nothing I like to be incharge of my house but I did accept help with shopping etc, just do what you feel you can. I am on HRT now and have been fortunate enough not to really have been troubled with hot sweats for long. I am having trouble with my bladder at night tho, this has only happening in the last couple of weeks tho and if i sleep heavily I don't make it thro the night without leakage!!! Any advise from anyone, why do you have a sling as people have talked about??
Take care and look after yourself
cadburys xxxxxxxxxxxx
Unread 01-21-2008, 10:29 AM
5th day post op question

Wow, I had LAVH/BSO and am feeling sort of ok and still wouldn't go out yet. My friends even wanted to come pick me up last night to go watch the game at their house and I refused. I have to admit, I am soooo bored home. I want to go to work already, I too am 5 days post-op. I didn't have any bleeding afterwards though, so I can't relate to that, though there is some wetness down there, not anything yukky though. I too woke up last night soaked and had to changed my jammies, but I don't have any ovaries so I guess I may be starting my fun menopause and I elected no hormones. They cause breast cancer and I don't want any issues there.

I have done laundry and a few light things around the house, but am trying really really hard to rest...I get to drive after 1 week and I haven't had a pain pill in 2 days so I should be good.

Good luck
Unread 01-21-2008, 07:42 PM
5th day post op question

I had my first outing today. We went to dinner at the local little diner and then stopped to get some groceries. I was fine at dinner but felt badly at the grocery store. I went to their restroom and felt a little better but I could hardly stand in line to check out. I had walked about 20 minutes outside today too. I think this was just a bit too much for me. I feel fine then a sudden it is like I hit a brick wall.

I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow so I plan to take it easy before I go there and talk to her about some of my concerns. It is hard to rest when you don't feel pain or tiredness.

I am trying to follow instuctions but it is hard. DH has to remind me of the 5 pound lifting limit I have right now.

Kay

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register