Recooping from Blood Loss? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recooping from Blood Loss? Recooping from Blood Loss?

Unread 01-21-2008, 08:07 AM
Recooping from Blood Loss?

How long did it take for you all that had major blood loss during the surgery. I was just shy of a transfusion, the only reason the dr didn't do the transfusion is that my hemo # was 9 and I wasn't reacting otherwise.

But the fatigue is the worse. I have super iron pills the dr prescribed but they tear up my insides. I've just been making sure I get 100% daily value (reg vitamin) and eating iron rich foods.

I just want an aim to when the fatigue will go away.

I had a LAVH and my tiny three incisions are healed and the only pain I have is gas bubbles still....

Any info?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2008, 08:15 AM

Right after my surgery I was a 5 therefore, I had to have a transfusion. I was so tired I could not lift my arms or keep my head up. After my transfusion I was a 9 and went home from the hospital. I took iron pills every night with a stool softener and ate iron rich food. It took me about 3 weeks to get my strength to what I call an "8" on a scale of 1 to 10. I am trying work tomorrow 1/2 a day.
I had blood work done on 1/18 and I will get the results tomorrow. I will post again and let you know what my numbers look like. That should give you some type of timeline.
I have heard that it takes a long time to build the blood iron levels back and remember you are also recovering which is exhausting.
God bless!
jb
Unread 01-21-2008, 08:28 AM

I don't know if this will help. About 3 months before surgery I had to have a 4 unit transfusion, with a bag of iron in between. Before transfusion I was at 6, I don't know what I was after as they didn't check. But what I'm trying to say is I didn't even have time before I started my next cycle ( which was a couple of weeks) to feel better. That was without surgery, so with it I'm sure it's still going to take a little time. So hang in there! My hope is that I will be feeling stronger by spring. I know with this weather we're having right now that feels like a very long time. But I'm hoping "better weather" is not that far away.

My prayers are with you all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2008, 09:13 AM
blood loss-more questions

I am two weeks post op and am a 7 on the hemocrit scale, but the doctors decided to not transfuse me because I was tolerating the anemia "so well". Well, I am so tired I can hardly do anything, including focusing to read - take a shower - etc. my family wonders if I will ever be more than a lump under the covers. I sure would like to know what to eat, if I can use stool softeners long long term, and when is tired too tired, as in should I be calling a doctor?
this is my first experience with surgery and anemia, beyond the slight anemia I had for the last few years as I battled my fibroid..
thanks.
Unread 01-21-2008, 09:23 AM

I'm told stool softeners and a slow release supplement is the best action, but I haven't tried it yet, because I understand your focusing problem, I can't remember to go to the pharmacy to get it. DH wouldn't have a clue so this is something I'll have to do myself. I have been relying on lists, but can't remember to put it on there either! Well maybe I will remember today to get some, maybe you should too! I hope you begin to feel better, I plan to, if I can remember to put it on my list.

Always God Bless!
Unread 01-21-2008, 11:36 AM

Wow, I had some internal bleeding but was so drugged up in the hospital I don't really know much of what was happening. I know I had to stay an extra day so they could do another blood test and he sent me home with iron and baby aspirin for 10 days, didn't know why. I am so sorry to hear what all of you went through. I have been a little light headed still and am 5 days post op. Haven't had much of an appetite, and I get really bloated and feel sick even when I eat a little, hopefully this will pass. I am living on stool softeners too, they help a little. I don't feel like doing much though, don't really want to get out of bed at all though I know I have to. I am going to speak to my dr this afternoon and would advise you do too so also.
Unread 01-21-2008, 11:57 AM

I didn't know I was anemic until after surgery. Unlike in US, we don't have checks on blood before surgery. I did have bllod tests at my pre-op, but no one bothered to tell the surgeon or me that I had iron at level 9, so when it dropped to 7 post-op and I kept passing out when I got out of bed..they thought I'd had a major bleed.

8 is the level that they want to give a transfusion.

Now of course, I realise that a lot of my pre-op symptoms were actually a result of anemia.

I refused a transfusion because of all the bad press here.

Anyway, I was told that without a transfusion I would take at least 3 weeks to get to an acceptable level, and up to 3 months to reach normal levels of 14..

I'm looking forward to being normal, because I've been tired for so long, thought I was just working too hard..

If your doctor has given you iron tablets , shouldn't you be trying to take them. I found they increased constipation a bit, and this might be a bit TMI, but bm were black for over a month..but I have just compensated by eating lots of fruit and fibre...and stool softeners..

too long..sorry, but hope this helps
x
Unread 01-21-2008, 05:03 PM
for all of you who responded to my blood loss question.......

Thanks for getting back to me..I am taking my iron, and looks like I just got to keep taking it....and sleeping and sleeping.
I was asked today to head up a class in 10 days and after reading your responses, said NO! I am realizing that "back to normal" won't be for awhile...
bless all of you - I started a list today of all the happy things in my life, think I will add you guys!
Unread 01-22-2008, 05:43 AM

What a lovely thing to say
hope you feel stronger soon
x
Unread 01-22-2008, 07:19 AM

INFP,

It sounds like you are no longer tolerating it. It is time to call the doctor. I refused a blood transfusion after my surgery (I blame it on the drugs) and it took me forever to get over it. Call the doc and let him/her know just how you feel. They should at least check your count again.

Stampincat

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register