Recooping from Blood Loss? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recooping from Blood Loss? Recooping from Blood Loss?

Unread 01-22-2008, 08:26 AM
Recooping from Blood Loss?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie 64
If your doctor has given you iron tablets , shouldn't you be trying to take them.

I'm going to see my primary care physician today due to an ear infection. Double. My ears are so stuffed up and the side of my neck is killing me where one side is trying to drain I'm going to talk to her about a different iron med. The one that was given to me made me so constipated to the point I was nearly compacted and the way my internal incision, that rubbing against where they operated HURT. Even with stood softeners and laxatives...they barely made a difference. I really thought I was going to end up with a huge case of diahreah the way I was taking the laxatives!! I tried the floranix liquid and it made me puke even when I put it with juice and yogurt. That was a waste of money

I'm eating tons of iron rich foods which seem to be better for me for now. I can't take the iron pills. I want to cry at the mere thought of swallowing one because of what it does to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2008, 08:28 AM

INFP I was "handling" the anemia well too. The only side effect I was having due to the blood loss was veins collapsing around IV sites. My lower arms hurt worse than my belly did!!! I'll ask my dr today. I have to see my primary because I woke up with ear infections yuck.
Unread 01-22-2008, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DellaSue
How long did it take for you all that had major blood loss during the surgery. I was just shy of a transfusion, the only reason the dr didn't do the transfusion is that my hemo # was 9 and I wasn't reacting otherwise.

But the fatigue is the worse. I have super iron pills the dr prescribed but they tear up my insides. I've just been making sure I get 100% daily value (reg vitamin) and eating iron rich foods.

I just want an aim to when the fatigue will go away.

I had a LAVH and my tiny three incisions are healed and the only pain I have is gas bubbles still....

Any info?

You're on the right track using your diet to build your iron levels. Iron pills can make you sick and gassy. Liver, beef or chicken, is a good source of iron if you like it. Oysters are very high in iron. I used salads made with spinach, kale, broccoli and sliced steak with a soybean oil dressing.

You absorb the iron better if you eat a meat iron source with a non meat iron source.

Iron from meats is absorbed by the body better than iron from vegetables and fruits. Iron from non meat sources is absorbed better if a vitamin C source is included.

Cooking in a cast iron skillet will increase the iron in your diet, especially if you cook acidic foods such as tomatoes, onions, etc.

Large amounts of coffee or tea drunk with the food decreases the amount absorbed. So does too much high fiber foods and calcium.

A lot of the recovery time depends on how fast your body replaces the blood lost. That varies from person to person. It took me the better part of a month to get my normal energy levels back. Hang in there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2008, 11:02 AM
more on blood loss and those wonderful iron tablets.

I am trying to take 65 milligrams of iron twice a day with a stool softener each time, and I am eating so much salad, fruit - whole grain cereal etc...that I am turning into a lop eared bunny.. sometimes I skip a dose when I haven't had a bowel movement for 24- 36 hours, then as soon as the long awaited event happens I take another pill. I can really tell the diff when I take two doses in a row, as in, I can stay up for more than an hour at a time.
Tomorrow is my two week anniversary, and I can honestly say that my pain levels are better, and I can actually wander aimlessly through the wilderness of my downstairs...I never realized how little my family bends at the waist...ah well, I am sure that with large earth moving equipment, I will once again find my carpet beneath the rubble when my blood levels and healing are further along...
Anybody using something like metamuical regularly? Does that help at all? I KNOW that taking iron really isn't an option for me, I have to take it...I also heard that after awhile (whatever that means) that your body adjusts to the iron and your digestive tract can cope with the insult of all that extra iron..
thanks for advice.
by the way, my hysterectomy left me with one remaining ovary and nothing else. I may name her, any ideas?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register