How much time did you take off work? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How much time did you take off work? How much time did you take off work?

Unread 01-27-2008, 09:49 AM
How much time did you take off work?

I know, I was amazed that they took the staples out after only 7 days!!!!!
But now incision healing nice and no problems with that, I just still get sore on my right side.....Remember to cocoa butter the incision to help smooth things out....I just do what I can and try not to overdo, will be working tomorrow 12 hr. shift. Can sit at times so shouldn't be too bad...I don't lift anything real heavy as yet, office nurse told me should be between 12-16 weeks post op before pain completely goes away. Hang in there!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2008, 09:55 AM

I took off 6 1/2 weeks, without any regrets.
Unread 01-27-2008, 10:05 AM

I took off 6 weeks. After 1 week I went to my acupuncturist (and every week after). After 2 weeks I went to visit my mentee (he was worried), I also stopped by work to say hi and they promptly sent me home. At 3 weeks I started walking down the street and back. I discovered the online game Puzzle Pirates and I was hooked for the next 3 weeks. I started driving a little at 3 weeks. I also keep busy reading Hyster posts. At 4 weeks I felt a lot better and started thinking about going back to work. It was very hard to push a grocery cart and I had to get others to lift the bags in and out of the car. Everyone (including work peeps) said "don't go back". Not just because of the healing but because I was getting paid and I would never get this type of paid "vacation" again. I went back at 6 weeks but a year later I regret that decision. It may make you crazy to stay at home but find some hobbies--I actually did not do everything I had planned prior to the castle. If you are getting paid take the 8 weeks. If not try and take 6 weeks min. Ask friends to "donate $10" to your cause this month instead of another non-profit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2008, 03:37 PM

went in today for 6 week checkup. dr wrote me out for 2 more weeks. work in fast pace warehouse so lots of heavy lifting and drive a forklift body just doesn't feel like its ready for all that yet. plus still hurting from incision on right side. hope everyone continues to do good.
Unread 01-29-2008, 03:47 PM

I am still hurting on right side, also and am 9 weeks post-op,,,I don't know if I over did it at Christmas (at 3-4 weeks PO) with cooking, decorating, the whole nine yards or what. But doc says may continue to have pain up to 16 weeks post-op. No, I definately wouldn't do any real heavy lifting as yet.....I went back to work at 7 wks. PO but could sit quite a bit.

TAH/BSO 18" ovarian cyst rupture
pre-cancerous uterus
ll/26/07
Unread 01-29-2008, 04:42 PM

My doctor has me out for 6 weeks as of now. My job's disability allows me to be out 13 continuous weeks with my regular pay which is a God send. I received a letter from the disability company saying that I am approved to be out until 2/19 and if I need more time out the doctor has to submit a supplemental form to be received by them by 2/12. Does that make sense? What a bunch of idiots!!!

I haven't driven my car yet. Went out to the doctor last week and to Target to get my meds. Left the store almost in tears because the pain of just walking around was way too much. My husband pushed the cart, placed and removed items from shelves and register.
Unread 01-29-2008, 06:50 PM

I remember those days and they were hard. I didn't go anywhere alone (rode in the electric carts everywhere I went) and my sweet DH did all of the errands and all of the driving.

I drove by myself for the first time at 5 weeks to the hairdresser and I wished I hadn't. All other excursions by myself didn't occur until I was 8 or 9 weeks post op. And when I could finally stop asking him to run my errands, I could tell that my DH was happy and excited that he wasn't going to have to be my errand boy anymore!

You will feel better - it just may take some time. Try to pace yourself and work up to the big trips...

Hope you feel better soon!!
Unread 01-29-2008, 07:10 PM
thanks

I love Hyster Sisters! Thank you to everyone for your comments and support!
Unread 01-29-2008, 07:12 PM

I had a TAH w/hematoma and vertical incision. I was off work 7 1/2 weeks, but I have a desk job and sit all day. I get sore at the end of the day, but not too bad so far, just get tired that's all.
Unread 01-30-2008, 11:26 PM
work

I did go back to work after 6 wks. but my Dr. wanted me off for 8.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register