4 wks post-op and SWELLING, worse on one side!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

4 wks post-op and SWELLING, worse on one side!!! 4 wks post-op and SWELLING, worse on one side!!!

Unread 01-22-2008, 12:21 PM
4 wks post-op and SWELLING, worse on one side!!!

Hi ladies!

I had my TAH on 12-28-07. I previously had 2 c-sections and was expecting this to be similar. WRONG! I woke up in the recovery room, to find that I had an arterial bleed (it was actually SPURTING out of the incision) and needed to be rushed back into surgery. So, after that, I left the hospital on the 31st and am doing great. EXCEPT FOR THE SWELLING. I had a fairly flat stomach before (but still got a little roll when I sat), but am freaking out because it seems that only one side of my stomach is REALLY swollen. I don't have any pain, tenderness or redness, the incision has healed nicely, it's just the swelling. I did have a drain tube put in after the 2nd surgery (which was removed on the day I left the hospital). I would think that the swelling would be worse on that side (which was the side of the bleed), but it's the other side that's worse. It literally 'folds over.' Anybody else having this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2008, 12:41 PM

Hi,
I had my TAH/BSO on 1/7/08 so i am two weeks post-op. I was cut up the stomach because of my previous c-sections there would not be enough skin to pull up from under the bikini line so I was cut up and to the left of the belly button. I am more swollen on the left side. I still have a lot of discomfort and pain, I can not sleep on my side (either one) If I do I wake up with some pain. I have noticed that I have more pain and swelling on the left and have started using a heating pad on my tummy. This has helped tremendously. The doctor told me it would be 6-10 weeks of recovery and I now understand what he meant by that . I am finding it hard to get comfortable on the couch and in certain chairs, and it is hard to stand straight up but I am working on it. Oh one more thing even though my surgery site was more on the left side of the belly button I can not tolerate any pressure on the right side??????. Hopefully as we get further along in the healing process things will get easier. Good luck
Unread 01-22-2008, 12:58 PM

Thanks blondraider!

Good luck with your recovery! I am feeling pretty comfortable for the most part. I still have to be careful in bed and certain chairs as well. I'm glad you're doing well. Are your kids young? Mine are 5 and 3, so 'resting' is really hard to do . I think my kids are tired of hearing me say I can't do certain things !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2008, 01:20 PM

Hi Hysterat29
I have a 17 year old son who has been so helpful He just started his first job so he isn't home as much as when I first got out of the hospital but I don't need him quite as much now. My daughter is 3 and she doesn't understand but we are coping. My husband's help has tapered off a bit too but that is o.k. cause i can manage more now. I know how tough this is though and I can not believe how tired I get and how sometimes I just have to sit down. My best friends b-day is this sat (she is freaking cause she is turning 35 i will be 43 LOL anyway she was talking about us all going out and she really like hip hop music and loves to dance. The bar she originally wanted to go to has no place to sit at all!! I told her there is no way I have to be able to sit but that is o.k. if she goes there I will go out with her another time. hang in there at least the worry part is over.
Unread 01-22-2008, 09:01 PM

I am 8 weeks post-op and still get sore and am swollen, some days one side worse than other. After all the organs that were removed, uterus, ovaries and tubes, that left empty areas in our bodies and the other organs are trying to get into place now. I think that is causing some of the discomfort. It does get better, I am much better than I was at 4 wks. P.O.
I have some good days, some rough. Still sore, swelly and very aware of what went on. 12-16 weeks, my doc says before feeling really good.
Unread 01-23-2008, 02:31 PM

Thanks psynurs. *Sigh* I guess I'm just trying to rush things. I'm not very good at just resting, and I'm so ready to get back to 'normal'! I wore jeans today and took DD to gymnastics and ran a couple other errands (pushing the shopping cart at Wal-Mart) and am paying for it now! The jeans are just going to have to go back in the closet for awhile! Luckily I have several jogging suits that look a little better than sweat pants . Thanks for the response. This site is great. I don't know what I'd do without it! Good luck with the rest of your recovery!
Unread 01-27-2008, 10:26 AM

I am still living in my jogging suits except for when I work I must wear uniform, but thankfully the waist is elastic!!!! Yes, I know we look normal, feel OK and think we should be fully recovered but I still have swelly belly, get sore at times, and do seem to get tired more easily. I know, I love this site, wish I would have found it earlier...I found it at 6 weeks post-op...
I thought I was the only one with all these problems until I started reading this site....we are all different but have so many common symptoms it seems. And NO ONE can relate to us unless they have been thru it......

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register