TAH--Length of Hospital Stay | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TAH--Length of Hospital Stay TAH--Length of Hospital Stay

Unread 01-22-2008, 12:37 PM
TAH--Length of Hospital Stay

I was just curious how long the hospital stay was for those of you that have had an Abdominal Hysterectomy. Does it matter for length of stay on whether you have your cervix removed too. I heard that it did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2008, 12:45 PM

I'm not sure about the cervix part, but I was schedule for Friday - Sunday. Once they started, it was determined that I needed a bladder tear/nick repaired. So I stayed until Tuesday night. I think most people stay 2 - 3 days if they have no complications.
Unread 01-22-2008, 12:49 PM

I had a abdominal hyst., and I had everything taken out but my ovaries. I went in on a Wednesday morning...surgery was at 6:30 and I went home on Thursday around 4 pm. Some ladies may have complications. I think it is usually up to the dr. and the patient.My dr. allowed me to go home because she knew I would have plenty of help.Some ladies like to stay a little longer because they have help at the hospital. Just talk to your dr. and they will help you with that decision.
Faith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2008, 01:02 PM

I stayed 4 days because I hadn't passed gas by the third day.
My doctor wasn't overly concerned that I hadn't had
a bowel movement in 3 days because i ate very lightly
2 days b4 my hyster. But I guess it was safer to keep
me an extra day instead of having me come back if something
was wrong.
Unread 01-22-2008, 04:43 PM

I don't think the removal of the cervix makes much difference for length of hospital stay. It's more related to how well you tolerate the procedure, whether or not you're on solid foods, and the all important "passing of the gas" question.

I had a TAH and a panniculectomy, which meant I had a hip-to-hip incision. I stayed three nights, which is about the norm.

to you.
Unread 01-22-2008, 05:48 PM

Hi there and good luck with your upcoming trip to the castle!!
I had a TAV last Friday and my doc removed my cervix. My surgery was at 1:30 pm Friday and I went home at Noon on Sunday. I too think it is more on a case by case basis - just as long as your doc says it's o.k. s/he will decide when the time is right for YOU to go home. From the posts on here, the norm is about 2-4 days.
Hugs to you & please keep us posted!!
Igachick
Unread 01-22-2008, 06:39 PM

I had a TAH with cervix removed. went in on friday- out at 6 p.m. on sunday. I am not a hospital person and my doc said he felt i would be more comfortable healing at home.
Unread 01-23-2008, 05:51 AM

I was scheduled to stay two nights for my TAH, but got to go home earlier. Surgery was Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. and I was checking out of the castle Thursday at noon. I had no complications though and had plenty of help with me at the hospital and once I got home.
Unread 01-23-2008, 09:10 AM

My Dr had told me 1 or 2 nights. I didn't really feel ready to leave after 1 night so stayed 2. On the following morning I had a fever so they made me stay an addl night. On one hand I was glad that I did stay 3 nights - that way I felt very comfortable that I could get along at home without much trouble. But I think a 2 night stay would have been adequate!
Unread 01-23-2008, 10:09 AM

Hi, had SAH , left cervix and ovaries, bikini cut. I stayed 3 nights and was glad of it. I was told by my surgeon that leaving the cervix was a slightly easier/quicker procedure, and may mean quicker healing..but I don't think it makes much of a difference in the beginning.

Good luck, make the most of hospital..wherever you are, rest, rest, rest..

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register