Removing Steri-Strips | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Removing Steri-Strips Removing Steri-Strips

Unread 01-23-2008, 01:09 AM
Removing Steri-Strips

It's now 15 days post-op, and 12 days since the staples were removed and Steri-Strips put in place so I could go home. The nurse said they'd fall off on their own in 7-10 days ... yet they're still there. The "criss-cross" over where my drain was - I took it off yesterday. It was half off anyway, and I figured it wouldn't hurt.

Can I remove the rest of the strips over my incision? The ones at the ends are coming up at the top, and almost all of them are loose along the sides. There is no swelling or redness, or any indication of irritation to the incision itself; although where the strips are getting into the hairline - really itches sometimes. They are getting really uncomfortable too - I can feel them pulling at my skin when I move around, especially in bed.

I have my 3-week postop checkup on Monday, and had thought about just waiting until then and having the doctor's office remove them; but they are driving me NUTS!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2008, 08:04 AM
Removing Steri-Strips

I had one that came off too early and I have had major issues with that incision so instead of removing mine I took a pair of scissors and cut the loose parts off. This kept them from being as irritating and getting caught on things.
Unread 01-23-2008, 08:14 AM
Removing Steri-Strips

My staples were removed two days after my TAH, and I was told to remove the steri strips the day after my post op appt.--a week later. They were easy to remove gently.
My dr. said if the glue was still sticking, I could use a bit of fingernail polish remover on a Q-tip to remove the residual glue. Fortunately, I didn't need to do that. (I'm two weeks post-op)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2008, 08:35 AM
Removing Steri-Strips

My staples were removed prior to me leaving the hospital (day 5) and replaced with steristrips. I was told that the steristrips would come off on their own, but that if they didn't come off by my next apointment (January 29th) that I should take them off. They seem to be gradually coming off. Everyday I loose 1 or 2.
Unread 01-23-2008, 08:49 AM
Removing Steri-Strips

I would just place a call to your clinic and ask....if they say it's ok to remove them then you should do so. Mine came off pretty easy, but if you are alloud to take a bath then soak in the tub will usually do the trick. I know that they do itch, but you don't want to take them off too early.

Deb
TAH 12/20/07
Unread 01-23-2008, 11:45 AM
Removing Steri-Strips

Hi,
I was in the hospital for 5 days and then the doctor wanted to see me the next week after I got out although I had an appointment that would have been today. When I went in the doctor said "oh you still have the steri strips on" and took em off. That was 10 days after surgery. They had told me in the hospital that they would fall off and I had them before with my c-sections but they were not even lose I am o.k. no openings all closed but sore
Unread 01-24-2008, 10:52 AM
Removing Steri-Strips

My thought was to leave mine on. I just took scissors and cut off the loose ends. This worked well for me.
Unread 01-24-2008, 01:46 PM
Removing Steri-Strips

Hi Sommerdal,

Your surgery was the same day as mine, but I had no staples. The intern that closed me up, told me that the steristirps would fall off on their own. I had been snipping off the loose parts with scissors, but leaving them alone. When I had my first followup appt on 1/17, 9 days after surgery, the Dr was surprised they were still there, so the nurse took them off. If you have any doubt, call your Dr.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register