Tongue Coating - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Tongue Coating Tongue Coating

Unread 01-25-2008, 08:52 PM
Tongue Coating

Mine was a definite, thrush, then I got a UTI, was on another antibiotic, then I got thrush AGAIN omg, between that and everything else, grrrrr

take care, I hope you get a px. soon before it gts any worse.

itsme
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2008, 09:31 PM
Tongue Coating

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferbabe
Did he do a swab and culture it to see if it's candida? Or just sort of peek in your mouth and get out his prescription pad?

Let's hope the mouth rinse does the trick.

-Linda
No, he did no testing. Peeked in. Slapped me on the knee with the clipboard. Laughed. Then said it is not thrush but probably from acid reflux, thrush is a childhood ailment. Then said he would be right back and came with a prescription for the rinse anyway.

I know, as I type this, I realize I need a new GP. He is a little rough. I actually normally do the diagnosing for the family as he is kind odd.

For example, my DD was throwing up and had headaches a lot for several months (mainly at school) with no real reason. He did MRI's, requested that I seek counseling for her, made me question the entire school to see if they had recently painted, etc., had her eyes tested, the whole gammat.

Then one day as I watched her suffer, I got online and researched. It took one simple question that I felt a DR should know to ask with her symptoms to diagnose her. MIGRAINES. We finally got her on Imitrex and all is well.

Thank you everyone for your advice. I plan to get the RX filled tomorrow and work on it. I realize I know my body better than any DR and I know when something is not right. I have NEVER had a coating before.
Unread 01-25-2008, 09:55 PM
Tongue Coating

(((Becky))) Good for you. "Thrush is a childhood ailment"?

http://www.uihealthcare.com/topics/dental/dent4380.html

http://www.privatehealth.co.uk/disea...ns/oral-thrush

http://health.discovery.com/encyclop...l?article=2294

From what we've seen here, thrush is a heck of a lot more common after surgery than acid reflux is (because of the antibiotics we take). Your DR should know that - mine did when I showed up in his office with it once.

I'm glad you are going to be looking for a new GP - you deserve better care than you're getting.

s,
-Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2008, 09:58 PM
Tongue Coating

Good luck, and yes, I agree you need a new doc.
That would make two of us in search of a new PCP.

Don't wait too long to get that rinse started, trust me.

take care

HUGS
Unread 01-27-2008, 09:07 AM
Tongue Coating

Thank you everyone. I finally started the rinse last night. As I do not fully trust my doctor...can anyone tell me if I am supposed to swallow after I swish? That sounds strange to me but maybe it is the case?

Again, thanks for all your responses and advice.
Unread 01-27-2008, 09:36 AM
Tongue Coating

i did not swallow,,i did gargle it to the back of my throat because i had blisters there,,,and they told me you can get thrush anytime you are put on antibiotics,,no matter what age ,alot of babies get it but you can get it too!
Unread 01-27-2008, 11:13 AM
Tongue Coating

Hi
There are two different kinds of prescriptions...one is rinse and spit, the other is rinse and swallow. That being said, mine was rinse and swallow and I could just not bring myself to do it at the time because I had such nausea. Thrush can cause a sore throat due to the blisters, as well as the tongue coating. Hope you are feeling better soon
Unread 01-27-2008, 01:38 PM
Tongue Coating

Hello,
My guess would be that it is from the flagyl. As others have said, Flagyl is known to cause a yeast infection (thrush) on your tongue. I am an RN in the oncology field and our patient's get thrush quite often related to receiving chemotherapy. One quick and simple thing we do that you can try without a prescription is get a big bottle of 0.9 normal saline and put 2 tablespoons of baking soda into the 0.9 normal saline and mix it well. After this is mixed, take a small cup of this and swish/gargle with it in your mouth and then spit out. DO NOT SWALLOW IT! The other thing we use is a nystatin swish that you would have to ask your doctor for a prescription of. Just a few suggestions and hope that you find some quick relief. I know it can be very uncomfortable, especially if it gets real bad. GOOD LUCK!
Unread 01-27-2008, 11:50 PM
Tongue Coating

(((Becky))) I would call your pharmacist and ask them whether you are supposed to swallow or spit out the rinse. It's hard for any of us to know since we don't know which rinse you were prescribed and we're not MDs or pharmacists.

I hope it works and you get some relief soon.

s,
-Linda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register