Anemia worse....a change of doctors? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anemia worse....a change of doctors? Anemia worse....a change of doctors?

Unread 01-24-2008, 10:43 PM
Anemia worse....a change of doctors?

Dear friends,
I am 8 weeks post-op. My doctor's nurse called to tell me from the latest blood work that my anemia is actually worse....they want me to have a colonoscopy and EDG (sp)...Then she said that if this is inconclusive that I would have to go to a hemotologist. I have been anemic since I was a teenager, and my iron levels have always fluctuated. I drive 30 miles to my OB/GYN and I am wanting to change to someone in my town. Do you guys think I need to go and see a General Practice doctor, or should I find another OB/GYN???? Can I change my ob/gyn after only 8 weeks postop? I am just wondering if someone would take me that soon after surgery....
I need some advice!! I really don't want to do the colonoscopy, and want to see if I can get my hemoglobin up with better diet and vitamins. What do you all think?
Thanks so much for your wonderful help.
Grace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2008, 10:22 AM
anemia

Has anyone else had any problems with their doctors, or with anemia? My recovery otherwise is going wonderfully!
Grace
Unread 01-25-2008, 11:50 AM

(((Grace))) technically, you can change DRs any time after your DR releases you. Well, you could change before that, but it might be very hard to find a DR who is willing to treat you when you're still supposed to be under the surgeon's care.

This may not be what you want to hear, but imho I would have the colonoscopy. We all have to have them at some time anyway. What if you don't have it and it would have revealed some condition which, untreated, is dangerous to you? How would you feel then, knowing your DR did say you needed one?

EDG is short for Esophagogastroduodenoscopy, which is basically an upper endoscopy: kind of the same thing as the colonoscopy only approaching things from the other end.

I think your DR must have reasons for wanting you to have these tests - did you ask what they were? I would see a gastroenterologist and have the tests. See the hematologist and ask them about diet and vitamins if you want to. Get all this behind you, and then consider switching DRs. Just my though.

s,
-Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2008, 12:19 PM

i have had anemia for a very long time (on and off since my teens) but since my hysterectomy, its gone. at 8 weeks, since you are no longer bleeding monthly, your blood levels should have improved. at this point, your dr must feel that you are bleeding from somewhere and wants to see if its in your colon or stomach. since you are asking for opinions, i would advice you to have both tests to make sure you arent bleeding from somewhere within your body. its very standard to have both of these tests if anemia persists. it sounds like your dr is doing a good job. you can switch dr's anytime you like, but if you do have a medical condition that is causing bleeding, you really need to know. just like you need to know if you dont... so you can see a hematologist.
Unread 01-25-2008, 02:10 PM
Thank you

Thank you both for your thoughtful replies, Linda and dressed up in Blue!
You are right, and I will make appt. to get a colonoscopy. After all, I am only 1 year away from being 50, and I will have to have it done anyway. Also, I would very much like to get this solved and behind me.
Thank you for taking the time to give me your thoughts!!!!
Blessings to all.
Grace
Unread 01-26-2008, 03:55 AM

Hi Grace, have you been taking iron tablets since your surgery?
I lost over a litre during my surgery, and dropped my HB from 13 to 9. The Gynae docs were not concerned, but several weeks after the surgery and me being terribly tired, my GP ran iron tests and found my serum ferritin was only 6. I have been on Ferrogradumet for nearly a month now, and will go back for repeat tests next week, though I must admit I am not feeling much better. They say the pills take a month to have any effect though.
I hope you find the cause of your anaemia and if a colonoscopy id recommended, I'd have it done.
Best of luck.
Unread 01-26-2008, 05:57 PM

Thank you, Aussi Gal!
I have been somewhat anemic, though healthy, since a teenager. My gyno is very concerned. I am leaning now toward going to my internist and letting him handle the anemia part. I'm sure he will also want me to get a colonoscopy.
I am seeing my gyno next week and am hoping he will agree with me on the internist.
I'm not sure what serum ferritin is, but I will mention it to my internist, and see if he can do blood tests that will include that.
Thanks for your nice reply.
Let me know if you are feeling better.
Grace
Unread 01-27-2008, 09:04 AM

If you are wanting to switch Dr.'s I would suggest asking your current Dr for a recommendation. I am sure he would understand and be more than willing to refer you to someone who would be similiar to his care. This would also help with opening the communication between him and the new Dr which will help the switch go much smoother.
Unread 01-28-2008, 08:47 AM

Thank you, Angel!
That is a great idea. I will see him Thursday, and ask him about that!
Unread 01-28-2008, 12:16 PM

The ferritin thing...if I recall right, my GP told me ferritin is the component of the red blood call that actually carries the iron. If it ain't working and not picking up the necessary suitcase, yer still going to be anemic.

When I bought iron tabs after my surgery, the pharmacist said ferrous fumarate was the most absorbable. I take them with a vitamin C tablet when I do, to help the breakdown. (Vinegar dressing on a spinach salad helps with the same thing).

I was anemic in my early 20s, and yes it took about 3 weeks for me to feel a difference.

A woman I know is so anemic that nothing helps...her system doesn't digest it. Her grandmother was so anemic that she could have only one child.

I Googled a bit and found out something about an iron PATCH. I couldn't find out more about it - if it passed its tests and was available or not - but that might be an option for you.

Good luck with everything else - hope all goes well!

PS: Pardon the analogy - but this reminds me of taking one's care in for an oil change, and then finding out the engine is going as well! OUT comes the electric scopes for more tests!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register