Problem with constipation - any suggestions? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Problem with constipation - any suggestions? Problem with constipation - any suggestions?

Unread 01-25-2008, 10:03 AM
Problem with constipation - any suggestions?

Hello to all! I had a TAH on January the 11th. Im 29 and had endometriosisis. I have a real problem with the bathroom. I cant do number 2. Is that normal? I feel like I want to but I'M SCARED. A couple of days after my TAH I drank zenocot and the effect was very bad. Can somebody give me some advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2008, 10:20 AM

arrolle

I'm not sure that I can be much help. As you saw in my previous post, I have a catheter, so the only thing that I can "control" is a BM.

When I first came home, it was a nightmare, I thought that someone must have mixed my juice with some sort of bowel prep because I was constantly going. :wowee: Then I decided that I needed to control the situation a little better, so I changed my diet. (I had been eating really soft food and no fiber type stuff.) So I resolved that and took stool softener once a day and things seem to be going ok.

If I understand what you took - it was a laxative and maybe you just need a stool softener. I'm no expert at all, but maybe you can call your doctors office and they can give you some suggestions.

I know how miserable it is to not be able to get a handle on something that pre-op we took for granted.

Sorry I couldn't be more help. I that it gets better for you soon. Blessings on you ....
Unread 01-25-2008, 10:23 AM

I am 5 weeks post op and still have problems off and on. This is very common after surgery. Drink plenty of water and get lots of fiber.
Prunes have helped me. Stool softeners as opposed to laxatives work better as the softeners help absorb more water, the laxatives just stimulate contractions in the colon. Good Luck, it will get better!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2008, 10:25 AM

Hi!

Constipation post-op is a common problem and you're likely to get a lot of input from your Sisters with ideas to try to get things moving. You should call your doctor for advice as to what is best for you.

This link from the Post-Op Articles may be helpful to you, too:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/article_97106.htm

I hope you feel better soon!

s
Unread 01-25-2008, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrolle
Hello to all! I had a TAH on January the 11th. Im 29 and had endometriosisis. I have a real problem with the bathroom. I cant do number 2. Is that normal? I feel like I want to but I'M SCARED. A couple of days after my TAH I drank zenocot and the effect was very bad. Can somebody give me some advice?

Hello Arrolle,

I am 4 weeks post op and constipation was my worse problem. For me it was almost traumatic. I am blessed with a great Dr because he was very concerned and was very helpful. He explained to me that the pain medications cause the stools to get sluggish, which eventually will end in constipation. He told me to keep taking the stool softeners (2 pills at bedtime) that were prescribed when I left the hospital. In addition, I was to take the minimum dose of milk of magnesia as laxative each day until I had a BM. If diarrhea develops, I was instructed to stop the milk of magnesia. The liquid milk of magnesia worked better for me. In addition, I drank plenty of fluids and ate small portions of food at time. I was instructed to avoid beans and broccoli until I was no longer constipated because they tend to produce gas. Eating plenty of fruits helped too.

One dear HysterSister suggested the aloe vera bitters, which you can find at the Health Food Store. A friend recommended a cup of the Laci Le Beau Super Dieter's Tea and this has really done the trick for me. During the past two weeks, I started drinking a cup each night and it has really helped me to become regular. You can find this tea at the regular grocery store. It is also very important that you try to relax when trying to pass stools; breathe in and out and avoid straining yourself. If it hurts too much, stop and rest. But, as always, if everything fails, call your Dr. and ask for his or her advice and help right away.

Good luck and good healing!
Unread 01-25-2008, 01:04 PM

I think having a BM was my most dreaded fear after my surgery on Jan 21. I immediately got stool softners and made myself drink apple juice and white grape juice several glasses a day. It really helped. I believe fear of doing it was one of my biggest holdups. I took a magazine to the bathroom with me and just sat there and waited. It eventually came. And is getting easier each time I go. Good luck and I'll be praying for you.
Unread 01-26-2008, 05:39 PM

Ask your doctor about taking Miralax. I came home on a saturday and by monday morning i finally had a bowel movement but from saturday to monday it was pure He--! I had so much in me but it was all hard and couldnt come out and felt like everytime i was ready...i was being stabbed with a sharp knife. i had been on miralax for 2 days beforehand and by monday its effects were felt and everything softened up enough to be able to finally pass it. Im sorry this is so graphic but it was the single hardest thing i had to go through in this whole surgery!.
Unread 01-26-2008, 06:03 PM
Problems with constipation-drink lots of water!

Hi: Constipation was the biggest problem I had post op, and my first bm was very scarey. I drank tons of water on that day, took a stool softener, and walked around Target for over an hour. (My doctor's office said to take a long walk- gravity would get things moving!). When that didn't work, by 7.m. that night I used a Fleet suppository, and layed on the sofa and just completely relaxed. I waited over 1/2 hour after using the suppository and it worked, but not as good as I hoped. The following morning, I took a stool softener and a large glass of water 30 min. before breakfast. Then, after a breakfast of bran flakes and prune juice, it really worked that time and I felt so much better. I am over 10 weeks post op and have no problems at all anymore, and if I occasionally feel a need for laxative, I just drink a lot of water and eat raisin bran in the morning. I find that drinking a large glass of water 30 min. before breakfast really works. Hope this is helpful to you- I know that was my scariest problem post-op. Blessings to all.
Unread 01-26-2008, 06:12 PM

i too had the same problem. tried everything, prunes, stool softeners, high fiber, tons of water....my mother was here taking care of me and she bought me a huge bottle of milk of magnesia.....it worked! so i highly recommend it....
Unread 01-26-2008, 09:24 PM

I recommend Miralax. It worked wonderful for me. After 3 days of taking it, I had an easy bm and have stayed regular since. I think I drink more water post-op and eat more healthy due to the fear of things getting out of hand and me ending up in pain.

Best wishes to you.

PS - Miralax claims to cause no bloating or cramping like other laxatives and I would agree...none of that.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register