Back pain during recovery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Back pain during recovery Back pain during recovery

Unread 01-26-2008, 06:17 PM
Back pain during recovery

Is anyone else experiencing horrible back pain from all the laying around? I sure am and I just don't know what to do. I'm not having much pain from the surgery - it's all in my back, and I know it's just because I haven't been very active. I need to stretch and exercise, but at only 12 days post op I know that I shouldn't. Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-26-2008, 07:14 PM

Hi
I had a lot of back pain too. We have to remember that the back muscles are doing all of the work, most of it anyway! Our poor stomach muscles have been cut and are weak. My doc limited lifting and exercise for the first 6 weeks in order to give the abdominal wall a chance to heal....so it is not just the lying around...it is the major surgery that you just had. I found gradually increasing my walking was very helpful. I added the distance to the next neighbors house, or the next corner...and long as I felt I was increasing...slowly but surely. I am almost 3 months post and just adding abdominal and back exercises...and still and having pain. Take it slow, but feel good in the extra step you take the next day. Some days it was just that I sat a little longer.
I had my surgery on Halloween. ..have been measuring my progress by the holidays. On Thanksgiving everyone else did most of the work, and I needed to lie down before they all left the house. By Christmas I did most of the work, and by nightfall my back was throbbing. Maybe by Easter I will dancing on the table!
Hang in there.
Unread 01-26-2008, 07:20 PM

Hi,
I have back pain too and now today leg pain. I am finding it hard to stand straight up too. I am so sick of sleeping on my back and yet every time I try and sleep on my side or sorta on my side it hurts and then my back hurts too. You are not alone trust me I try to do things but then I pay for it and my family has decided I am for the most part fine. I can not believe how painful this has been and if it isn't my surgery site it is my leg or back Good luck let me know what works for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-26-2008, 07:22 PM

Hi,

I was afraid of that because I've had a history of back pain but so far I haven't had a problem. I agree with kpapc, I tried to walk as much as possible - which my doctor encouraged. I wasn't allowed any other exercise until my 6 week check up this week.
I made a conscious effort to stand up very straight when I walked. I think the tendency is to hunch over a bit to protect your stomach. I think that keeping your posture correct while you walk, helps your back and lets your abs get a gentle stretch at the same time.
My dr. is letting me get back to yoga and pilates this week and I can't wait - I'm dying for a really good stretch
Unread 01-26-2008, 07:30 PM

Yeah, I have pain down my leg too. I'm sure it's the cyatic (sp?) nerve. I had a herniated disk when I was in college and this feels like that. I haven't done much walking other then around my house and out to the mailbox and back. I think I'll try to do a little more tomorrow to see if I can get some relief.

Thanks for the advice!
Unread 01-26-2008, 09:04 PM

I had horrible pain in my back for the first week and a half. I know it was from sitting in the recliner so much. But I also noticed that when I was walking, I was hunching over to protect my belly. Plus my back was doing all the work getting up, standing up, etc. As you feel a little stronger, you will be more mindful and can take some of the strain off your back.

I am just over 2 weeks post-op and I have learned to sleep on my side again! YES! Little to no back pain now!
Unread 01-26-2008, 09:23 PM

Pillows, pillows and more pillows I sleep on my side I have a pillow supporting my back a pillow between my knees and legs and a smaller rounded pillow supporting my kneck if I dont have all my pillows something hurts when I wake up
Unread 01-26-2008, 09:30 PM

YES! The back pain has been horrible! Lots of pillows help and a heating pad has helped some.
Unread 01-27-2008, 05:46 AM

I too had a herniated disc, and surgery for it almost 18 years ago. The pain comes back when I have gained weight, not exercised or when I had problems with my endo. I had post TAH back pain and it has slowly gone away. Keep the faith and try a little at a time.
Unread 01-27-2008, 07:05 AM

I had surgery for a ruptured disk that wrapped around my ciatic nerve 8 months ago, and had 3 months of physical therapy after that. Through all of that starting 2 days after the surgery I started walking every day and was up to 2 miles two weeks later when I went back to work and then didn't have the time to walk.

I feel like I've backtracked to before my back surgery. No ruptured disks, but all the back strength that i'd worked up between PT and walking is gone and now I get to start over.

It's been too cold and icy/snowy here to walk outside so I do what I can but it usually entails shopping and I'm BROKE

I can't wait for spring!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register