Back pain during recovery - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Back pain during recovery Back pain during recovery

Unread 01-27-2008, 08:51 AM
Back pain during recovery

Hi ladies - I'm 5 weeks postop from a TAH. It's just the pits when we have previously had back trouble/surgery. I had to have 3 disks fused together almost 3 years ago - of course it was my lower back! So, with me trying to protect my belly, my back too has done a lot of the support work. Some days I can't decide which hurts the worst. I'm only 42 but sometimes feel like I have the body of 102. Anybody have suggestions besides a torso transplant ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2008, 04:43 PM

My doctor gave me an abdominal binder to wear for support which has helped a great deal with my back pain. I only started using it last week. I also had surgery for a herniated disc 25 years ago and still have two herniated discs that are manageable with exercise. I am 55 years old, had a TAH and colpopexy with mesh - it will be 8 weeks post op on Tuesday and the back pain has finally subsided. It is definately a challenge to go through the TAH with a weak back - but it does get better.
Unread 01-27-2008, 09:08 PM

I have really dealt with alot of back pain since about 4 weeks after my surgery. When I began walking more. I had scoliosis surgery 30 years ago and don't really know if that has been some of my problem or what. I've also heard that if your hormones are not balanced you can have aches and pains in your back (muscles). And I guess having a 7 inch incision down your belly doesn't help at all, since all the muscles in my stomach were cut and pulled. Wow, its just amazing that we do eventually recover from all this. I had no idea how serious this surgery really is. The dr. failed to tell me that! I am getting better, have started working out 3 days a week slowly doing some ad exercises. Hope to be 100% soon!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-28-2008, 08:23 AM

Thanks ladies - it really helps to know that I'm not alone in this. I've had back pain for so long - even after my fusion surgery. When people asked how I'm feeling, of course I said "fine." I can do it with Academy Award perfection
The orange/grapefruit size mass that was taken off the back side of my uterus was pressing on the siatic (sp?) nerve which of course caused shooting leg pain and also making my left leg feel like dead weight. When the pain interfered with my WalMart shopping experiences, I knew something wasn't right. It's like nobody understands how painful migraines are unless you have them . . . same goes for hysterectomies. I certainly had no idea what the recovery was going to be like. Plus, when I had my back fusion surgery, I had this turtle like brace (defintely NOT a guy magnet ), it was a visible sign that I was recovering from major surgery. I don't think showing everyone my bikini line 7" incision would be appropriate - ha! But seriously, it seems as if there's no visible sign, you're just "fine." That's where this wonderful website comes in.
Unread 01-28-2008, 09:22 AM

Oh Yeah, the back pain. I too HAD to sleep on my side, I've never been able to sleep on my back. LOTS of pillows! Every time I wanted to roll over DH had to rearrange my pillows for me in the hospital. I remember in recovery making the nurses turn me on my side, I told them lying on my back was making my butt hurt, I bet they got a big kick out of that.
My worst back pain was about 10 days post-op. We went to wal-mart. I walked too much, and I pushed the cart. I thought leaning on the cart would help me. But I found out pushing the cart was the SILENT KILLER. I haven't done that anymore.
The back pain took me by surprise also, but it too will get better with time and REST.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register