Weight - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-26-2008, 11:34 PM
Weight

LOL at grabbing another cookie. I do the same now.
I am actually down 25 lbs not from my surgery date, but from Oct when I really got sick. Only 5 lbs. since surgery. I could not eat from Oct-Dec I was so sick. After surgery I felt so much better and have tried to eat healthier. I have kinda fallen into the not eating routine again sigh. That does not help healing! The funny thing is I love soup and salad even more now. I actually crave it.
I hope to keep my weight off. We shall see. I am so a creature of habit LOL.

Best Wishes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2008, 06:56 AM
Weight

I am not sure why you would even bother buying bigger clkothes. You are not recovered yet. I have not punished myself by tryinbg to get inbto my clothes. The sleep pants are very comfortable right now. When I first got home I couldn't get into my own comfy sleep pants for a few days and had to wear bigger but now I can... I went for a 1 week visit and had lost 1/2 pound from before surgery... so i am happy with that. When I see girls talking about 9 or 10 lbs heavier I will take my 1/2 pound loss. Why punish yourself... I will not try my jeans until I feel good. If I have to go somewhere I go in thse sleep pants, sneakers and a T
Unread 01-27-2008, 07:22 AM
Weight

I'm having a terrible time with weight gain. I lost 45 pounds prior to the onset of my tumor and have gained over half of it back, even though I'm working out for 2 hours 3 xs a week. I think it must take a very long time for the weight loss to begin after a TAH or other similar surgery, maybe because of the hormonal shift. The best we can do is take care of ourselves even if we don't lose a pound. Although the workouts aren't making my weight melt away I have decided that their main purpose is to improve my overall physical condition and keep my blood pressure low, so I'm concentrating on that goal instead of weight loss. If I were to focus strictly on losing pounds I would doubtless get too discouraged and quit going to the Y, and I am not going to let myself do that. I do feel much better working out than when I don't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2008, 07:39 AM
ugh

I was almost 140 when i had my surgery and I weighed in at 152 a few weeks ago... I gained atleast 15 pounds or more so it feels.. HOWEVER on December 31st I ate my last of junk food.. I have not had any since and I have been doing some stretching and ab work in the last two weeks.. I am now 146. Hoping to death I loose a little more. I was under assumption that I would loose weight.. and maybe that is true for well after surgeries but for right now I seem to fluctuate!(sp?)
Unread 01-27-2008, 07:54 AM
Weight

I am where you are. I am overweight & my doctor has been asking me to lose for years. This past spring, I felt awful & figured it was the excess weight talking to me. I joined a weight group (TOPS) & began to lose. It is partly about watching your food intake, but it is the accountability that really helps. ( My DH & I took a big tenting car trip to the Yukon & Alaska all summer. It was then that I realized that something more was wrong with me. ) Well surgery is over now time to be accountable again!!

I found my appetite Christmas week. Needless to say it was food fest for the week!! I just sat in my lazy boy chair and said "bring it on!" My friends kindly baked cookies, chocolate yummies, etc. The following week I felt like I was detoxing!!! The 10 pounds I lost with surgery came right back on. I gave away all the leftover goodies, took them to my church, etc.

A while back, the author of a book called , 'French Women Don't Get Fat' (or similar) was on a talk show. She said French women eat small portions of what they really like, emphasizing small. It is true, when we diet we often feel very deprived. I am trying to be selective about what goes into my mouth. Instead of eating a whole bag of cheap, tasteless chocolate...buy really great single chocolate piece, sit and really enjoy it. Those crusts we cut off sandwich need to go into the garbage...we deserve the finest part of the sandwich. How many times do we really have to taste the spaghetti sauce to know it is OK? Well it is good in theory and like everyone else, I need to make a cons conscious decision to put it down and back away from the pot! I have managed to lose 30 lbs. since May with only one gain & several stay the sames. A group of supporting "losers" really helps...and a sense of humour. My DH doesn't get it. He buys apple pie & says but it has fruit in it. Bless his heart!!!

Hang in there, one pound at a time. You have many sisters here.
Unread 01-27-2008, 08:10 AM
Weight

I can't wait for the ok to do more than walk kinda cold to do much of that.
congrats blondraider. I need to lose about 25 lbs myself lol. And am now determined to do it. pre op I wouldn't know it's dumb but everytime I was weight I should be before I got pregnant lol. So after last child which I should have just had hysterectomy then but waited til they were older I said no more dramatic weight loss til I can't get pregnant lol. I have lost a few lbs 5 now just by eating lol. Pre op I ate once a day at dinner coffee the rest of the day since post op I added breakfast which I have never eaten unless pregnant but seems to be boosting my metabalism or something. good luck girls.
Unread 01-27-2008, 08:37 AM
Weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by debjo1
I am not sure why you would even bother buying bigger clkothes. You are not recovered yet. I have not punished myself by tryinbg to get inbto my clothes. The sleep pants are very comfortable right now. When I first got home I couldn't get into my own comfy sleep pants for a few days and had to wear bigger but now I can... I went for a 1 week visit and had lost 1/2 pound from before surgery... so i am happy with that. When I see girls talking about 9 or 10 lbs heavier I will take my 1/2 pound loss. Why punish yourself... I will not try my jeans until I feel good. If I have to go somewhere I go in thse sleep pants, sneakers and a T
I do not consider it a punishment to try on my clothes. I feel a lot better and am even starting work for half days tomorrow so I need some items other than sweats and jammies. If I feel the need to still be in jammies and sweats all the time then I feel like I do not need to be out in public yet. But I do feel better and want to look how I feel when I go out.

Prior to surgery, I bought a larger size track suit so I would not look so frumpy when I went out post-op. I knew I would get out and do some things this weekend so I wanted some jeans to do so. Not like I am giving in to having this weight forever and buying an all new wardrobe but no matter what weight I am, I intend to make an attempt at looking nice...haha

I have a history of being overweight in my family so I know it does not take much for things to get out of hand. If I can nip it before it becomes a problem, I will be better off in the long run. I do not feel that eating healthier, exercising and recognizing that some extra weight has crept on is a bad thing.

I am still on my plan to lose some of the weight if anyone is with me.
Unread 01-27-2008, 09:31 AM
Weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by hysterscared35

I am still on my plan to lose some of the weight if anyone is with me.
I'm with you as soon as I'm allowed more than walking lol. If my treadmill wasn't so heavy and I had room for it I'd use it now it's burried in a closet. after xmas and all the toys no room for nothing ugh. When I can do a thorough cleaning and lift things that's going to change too lol. I did buy yogurt last night to use in place of them sweet cravings I have been having. weird though I have never been a candy eater and have wanted it lol. good luck Becky.
Unread 01-27-2008, 10:13 AM
Weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee37
I'm with you as soon as I'm allowed more than walking lol. If my treadmill wasn't so heavy and I had room for it I'd use it now it's burried in a closet. after xmas and all the toys no room for nothing ugh. When I can do a thorough cleaning and lift things that's going to change too lol. I did buy yogurt last night to use in place of them sweet cravings I have been having. weird though I have never been a candy eater and have wanted it lol. good luck Becky.
I am the same way. I crave so many sweets post-op. I appreciate your support and wish you luck in your endeavors too. We can do it!
Unread 01-27-2008, 10:27 AM
Weight

I am a runner and I gained about 8lbs after my surgery. My doctor (a runner) informed me that my body would lose tone after two weeks and I would have to start over once I healed. I hated that news but it was out of my control. On the second day in the hospital the nurses made me walk but I almost passed out and they had to carry me back to the bed.I started walking to the end of the block my 3rd week. Two months later I walked a 10k and I was exhausted and hurt afterwards but I needed the emotional boost of finishing. Slowly after I keep walking and finally returned to my base weight. I did not diet and I suggest that no one diets while you are healing. Eat organic foods. Veggies when your gas issues are better. Drink plenty of water and juice. Sit with you face in the sun. Open the windows (my acupuncturist told me it is important to get the "sick air" out of the house). I cracked the windows since it was cold. Tell friends to bring you a surprise treat. Do something that you love. Take your pain killers. If you try to get off the meds and you still hurt it actually will take longer to heal. The meds help your body rest as you are getting better. I listed to my body and slowly reduced my meds making sure I was not in pain. It is especially important to have good sleep--so take the meds!.
Oh, and back to weight. Give yourself a break. If you gain weigh--so what. If you focus on your health now the weight will adjust naturally over time. I also recommend eating chocolate. It has iron (75+ cocoa) and it makes you happy.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register