Weight - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-27-2008, 11:09 AM
Weight

Hi Ladies!

I hate to say it, but I have lost 6-7 pounds since pre-op. Part of it is that I have a stressful job and I am not stress eating right now. The other thing is that we are eating a little better now since I am home and can plan and fix a real meal. (My 16 yr old DD planned and shopped for meals for my first full week home)

I swear by eating the same thing for breakfast every weekday. (1/2 cup oatmeal, honey, ground flaxseed, frozen berries, fat free 1/2 and 1/2)

Lunch is usually dinner leftovers (if not enough for whole family) or a sandwich or yogurt and fruit.
Fruits and veggies are "free" food. Use them to fill up. Fresh or steamed is best, avoid toppings.

Dinner - don't cut out food groups, but don't eat too much. the Japanese people who live long say to only eat until you are 80% full. If you cooked big for leftovers the next night, put them away before sitting down to eat so you don't look for seconds. My DH keeps wanting to eat more right after dinner, get busy instead or chew sugarless gum.

The earlier tip to not eat after 8 pm was a good one, if you are hungry before bed, have a glass of milk (I have been reading on this site, that soy milk helps with the hot flashes. I like the chocolate kind, so I'll try that!)

I tried Atkins a couple years ago and lost about 25 lbs, but gained it all back again as that deprivation method was not for me. I like all food! So think of that guy in that liquor commercial "always in moderation"! whoever tony sinclair is....?

I am walking a mile a day on the treadmill, and will want to increase that. I have never been a very physical person, but I have a goal to complete a marathon by age 50 so I need to get busy! (I am 46 now.)

Dee37 (Becky) - enlist some help to get that treadmill out. Make the kids take all their new toys into their rooms. Or ask them to find 3 old toys each that can come out of their rooms before the new ones go in. Save them for a yard sale or donate them. They may not organize in the way that you would, but they need to start doing so as a life skill.

Blessings to you all and concentrate on feeling healthy and gaining stamina gradually rather than what the scale says. If you need a couple pairs of larger slacks to get you through for a little while and you can afford them, then by all means get them. You will feel much better dressing nicely than feeling badly that nothing fits.

kim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2008, 11:52 AM
Weight

Well, i got on my scales this morning to realize that I haven't gained OR lost one single pound since pre-op. I was SURE I was going to lose 10 lbs. in organs and tumors!! Drat!! At least I haven't gained... however, i'm sure that i have a bit more fat and alot less muscle because i've been laying around for a month now!! I can't wait until I can start exercising again.....

Even though my weight hasn't changed, my jeans still don't fit quite right. Probably because of the large over-hang above my incision. I guess that's what they call the "swelly belly"? Anyone else have that little bump that won't budge?
Unread 01-27-2008, 12:17 PM
Weight

I lost 4 pounds since the surgery. I don't know if that is a 'real' number or if it will creep back on once my body recovers from the shock! My appetite was very minimal for a full week after the surgery - it's hard to eat when it's not moving through the other end!

However, I've definitely noticed the appetite increasing as I slowly becoming more active. I am trying to be very conscious of how much I am eating and eating smaller portions. Simply makes sense that we should not eat as much as usual when we are not being as active. My friend made me some incredible cookies and I sent them with my husband for our employees to eat. I felt bad about giving away a gift but I do not need the temptation!

We want to come away from this surgery MORE healthy, not less so!

Susan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2008, 01:56 PM
Weight

I have actually lost a couple of pounds, not much but hey I think it's better than having gained them! lol...
Unread 01-27-2008, 02:35 PM
Weight

I was 132 prior to surgery and have decided I WILL NOT weigh myself for a while yet. I have swelly belly and my main focus right now is to eat healthy and nourish my body.....it deserves it.

There will be plenty of time for the gym once the green light is given. My body has been through a lot and I have promised to take care of it in turn that it promises to be good to me when I go to the gym and be slender again

I treat myself once a day to a bit of ice cream with some frozen berries.... I will once in a while even have a piece of pie or something....but just once a day....the rest of the day I eat as healthy as I can.

Two of my girlfriends to me to a show the other night and I wore those flipping maternity jeans that I bought.....my two friends are as skinny as twiggs too....I just thought to myself....this is not the right time to diet.
Unread 01-27-2008, 03:02 PM
Weight

I had lost some weight before my surgery, after I haven't done so well...

Since just before Thanksgiving I have been battling something, head cold, flu I don't know but it sure is frustrating....

Anyway before hand I did eat alot of yogurt...I read a study on here somewhere that Yoplait done and it says that yogurt helps reduce belly fat.... I'M ALL FOR THAT!!!!

I also drank alot of lemon water,I prefeer it hot with a little sweetener....that is good for water retention......

Then my oldest DD got me hooked on Hummus, so that is usually what I had for lunch.....For some reason since surgery I lost my taste for the Hummus, hope that will come back...

I'm a diet pro, I know what to do just have to do it!!!!!!
Unread 01-27-2008, 05:45 PM
Weight

11306em..... when you say you drank alot of lemon water, what exactly do you mean? Did you just heat up some water and squeeze some fresh lemon into it? My dh got me a Hot Shot water heating device for Christmas and I just love it! Been making quite a bit of hot tea.... it's helped me stay away from quite so much coffee, which I usually drink WAY too much of!

Also, I wanted to incorporate yogurt into my diet too. Someone told me you have to eat the non-flavored plain yogurt for it to really count... any thoughts?
Unread 01-27-2008, 05:58 PM
Weight

Annie -

I have read that the flavored yogurts have too much sugar and starches added. It is better to eat plain yogurt with real fruit. Tried it and yuck! I refuse to eat it but you could try it. You may like it.
Unread 01-27-2008, 09:19 PM
Weight

I used to eat the plain yogurt, I added a packet of sweetener along with my fruit and it wasn't bad....

I really like the Dannon lite vanilla tho , I also add my fruit to that.....it has less calories and such than do other brands...

I've really learned to read and compare labels,some stuff that is supposed to be so good for you sometimes isn't that great!!! Next time your in the store compare the two for yourself
Unread 01-27-2008, 11:08 PM
Weight

In July of last year I found out that I was diabetic. So I had to change my diet. This consisted of eating less carbs,sugar, fat and fried stuff. I allow myself one bad food a week if I am loosing weight and my sugar levels are low. This is what has worked for me, not that I had much choice lol. I've lost about 25 pounds since July. I also try to exercise a few times a week. Which I am not doing right now because of the surgery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register