Hysterectomy dates Jan 28-Feb 04,2008 - Page 15 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Jan 28-Feb 04,2008 Hysterectomy dates Jan 28-Feb 04,2008

Unread 02-10-2008, 02:09 PM
Hysterectomy dates Jan 28-Feb 04,2008

Hi everyone
I am back from the castle for the second time. After I posted that last message about not being able to breath, I took a look at what I had just written and thought what am I going? I then called the pharmistist and she confirmed what I had felt. So I got home this afternoon. They tested me for blood clots because of the surgery and that turned out great. They say its not the med. Don't believe them. Have to do more tests. It was a hard decision at first because what if what I was feeling was just part of the recovery processes. But you can't take chances with your health. Thanks for the responses and remember keep walking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-10-2008, 02:49 PM

Hi Koen,
My 16 y.o. Disneyphile is sitting next to me on then bed making our dinner reservations for a trip to WDW in April. It is her big high school graduation trip. I'm already planning to carry around a 3 legged camp stool so I can sit down in line, I'm hoping I'll be over this surgery enough to not have to skip a park day, but I can't keep my life on hold forever.

Tweeds,
I'm glad you called your doc! Hope you feel better soon.
Unread 02-10-2008, 09:01 PM
I'm a new sister as of 1-31-08

I have limited ability to type but here goes.
single mom, age 46, DS (lives in CA) age 27, DS age 13 & DD 10 with me in AK.

I was misdiagnosed for the past 6 months, led to believe I had a 'skin tag' when I had my last pap/annual exam last summer '07. long story short, was sent for colonoscopy, told I had an anal fissure, sent to a differant doc/colorectal surgeon, 3 hours away (we live in a semi-rural area), the doc, a SHE, tells me she cannot feel a fissue, does a vaginal exam, says I have a cystocele, sends me to a urologist on 1-29-08 who then feels me, says its 'beyond his care', sends me to a gyno ON THE SPOT!, I meet with gyno, on the exam table after I tell him, 'is something falling out'? he replies, 'everything is falling out'!, I get dressed, meet with him in his office where he had laid out phamplets, papers, pictures, articles.... he came in about 20 min later. and gave me my options, I chose based on the issues I faced all alone in a strange room with a strange doctor (but very nice man) the END of periods.
I had on 1-31-08
LAVH, BSO, CYSTOCELE AND ANTERIOR VAGINAL VAULT SUSPENSION REPAIR WITH MESH, was put on HRT patch.
all AFTER 6 HOURS of SURGERY, 4 nights in the hospital and home alone with my 2 younger kids watching/hearing me cry from agony, loss, pain.............G*D why ME???
I have not had sex in 16 yrs, BOTH my youngest were concieved via Artificial insemination and invito fertalization.
I'm decent, don't smoke, do drugs, drink, have not even had a man in my life, ever really. I was also born with physical disabilities. YES! I am very grateful I had my babies BUT!.......... I still feel the same pains as everyone else.

My previous history included: a Myomectomy for an Ovarian Cyst in 1990 when they cut me open via laporarotomy.
Loooooong recovery.
Cystectomy via mini lap for another O-cyst in 1992

Laporascopic surgey with another mini lap for a uterine fibroid 1997 (I wanted to maintain fertility because I planned for another baby)

Although spread in age and all alone, I had 3 perfect pregnancies, 3 NATURAL vaginal deliveries, the last being my daughter and on her 10th birthday, 1-26-08, I began the first day of what I now know as my FINAL period.

Sorry if I sound angry or too sad.... my heart is heavy right now, I want DESPERATELY to leave AK, we have no friends/family/ties holding us here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-11-2008, 05:37 AM

Been home now for 4 days after a complete abdominal hysterectomy. Everything removed and endometriosis adhesions also taken care of. Seems part of my urinary tract was stuck to my pelvic wall as well. Anyway taking hormones, Livial, and on the whole feeling much better than pre op. I'm drinking plenty of water and trying to walk a bit. Down the street once every few hours or so. How much should I be walking?
Unread 02-11-2008, 05:50 AM

Hi Stellacat,
Whoa, and I thought all my stuff happened fast! You must have whiplash from all those decisions in so many different directions! I had my surgery for prolapse too and have the anterior mesh. It is a rough recovery. I do envy, just a tiny bit, the ladies that had a simple TVH and are back on their feel feeling good already. I had my surgery 2 days before you, but then had a post op infection last week that set me back. How is your 10 year old handling it? Mine seems incredulous. Everytime I can't do something, I have to re-explain that I had surgery and an infection and I'm sick and she acts like she has never heard it before, but that is kind of her personality. Her 10th birthday was 5 days before your DD's 10th.
What took you to Alaska? It can be a very isolated place. I feel for you having so much happen so fast and you being alone. I went from the GYN on the 10th to surgery on the 29th and thought that was whirlwind fast!
Unread 02-11-2008, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalamario
How much should I be walking?
As much as you can without making yourself feel sick or in pain.
Unread 02-11-2008, 05:59 AM

Hi Stellacat.... Wow you sure do have a lot on your plate right now. Making these decisions is tough enough without having to do them quickly. I guess the best I can offer is to take one step at a time. Concentrate on getting well first, healthy and strong, then you can think about tackling other issues, but if youre not strong and healthy it will be more difficult. I had a TAH 2/4, took ovaries too. First major surgery Ive had to have in 25 years and I am not a good patient! But I am forcing myself to take one day at a time, small steps and get strong again,. Hang in there , this is a great place for support.

Kalamario,,, You sound like you are doing great! The most ive been able to walk is thru my house every hour, and that exhausts me. Impossible to get outside here in Chicago though, it is -2 degrees right now! I envy your ability to get outside.

Paula
Unread 02-11-2008, 11:35 AM
One Week Post-Op and Not Feeling as Well as I Think I Should Be

Had my surgery last Monday, 2/4, and all went well with the surgery. Doctor said it was "texbook." He took the uterus and the cervix -- said the ovaries were healthy so left them in. Got through the first two days in the hospital fine -- uncomfortable of course, but not complications.

I was sent home on Wednesday at 11:00 a.m. and was enjoying being in familiar surroundings. Then around 5:00 pm Wednesday evening, I was feeling very nauseated but not nauseated from pain meds. It turns out I came home with a ravaging case of the stomach flu!!! I threw up from 7:00 pm Wednesday evening to about 3:30 am Thursday morning, then had diarrhea for the next two days solid. All and all, even with the stomach flu, everything relating to the surgery felt fine.

Then yesterday I started having some pretty bad pain down in what feels like the vaginal area -- it's more of a constant pressure but it's painful to sit too long and I can lay in bed for about four hours before I have get up and move to a new location.

I had no trouble urinating when I came home from the hospital but then when the pain and pressure started yesterday, so did the pain when urinating. I also feel like I might have some gas that needs to come out, but passing gas is horribly painful.

I'm just concerned because I feel like I'm going backward in my progress. I was feeling pretty good over the weekend and then by last night, not so good at all. I realize that getting hit with the stomach flu two days after having surgery and then not being able to eat solids for four days probably didn't help (I also couldn't take any pain killers until I could keep solids down, so pain killers have been extinct ... I took my first one on Saturday afternoon).

I have no bleeding, so that's not a concern for me. Haven't had to wear a pad since Friday. I'm hoping this may be just a delayed reaction from the catheter and gas build-up after the flu and diarrhea, but not sure.

If anyone has any feedback, it would be most appreciated. Thanks!
Unread 02-11-2008, 12:57 PM

I'm two weeks post op today and I'm feeling...ok. I guess. Does anyone feel like their insides are moving around? After I stand up lately, I've been feeling weird things going on.. can't explain it but when does it all settle down?
Does anyone know how long it takes for the insides to fill in the voided areas?
Yes, I know, that sounds crazy... LOL!
Unread 02-11-2008, 12:58 PM

Brier, stomach flu I imagine can be pretty awful after all of this. I can't imagine having to barf.......I haven't even sneezed for two weeks for fear of the pain it will cause
Start out slow again with the foods, and try to limit the gas buildup. No gassy veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, etc. Personally I drink at least one liter of water a day (if you find it boring to drink just water add a little fruit juice to it). I eat yogurt at least twice a day as well, not the sweetened kind but just plain ol plain yogurt. In this way the balance of your intestines will get back to normal. Better to eat a few very small meals rather than any big meals. I find that tea helps as well at least twice a day.
I'm having a few twinges today, but attribute this to interior healing. I walked around half the block today, and even though it hurt and I looked a little ridiculous in my winter coat and my sweat pants (walking like I would break in half) it felt good after I did it. I admit the fact that it was cold didn't make it feel better....it made me tense up a bit and sent shivers through my incision....but maybe that's not a bad thing.
I think the best thing to remember is that small steps make big strides. One small step for woman......one giant leap for womankind )))

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register