Mom had D/C, pre-cancerous..??'s | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Mom had D/C, pre-cancerous..??'s Mom had D/C, pre-cancerous..??'s

Unread 01-28-2008, 11:08 AM
Mom had D/C, pre-cancerous..??'s

My mom has been going through pre-menopause, so they say. Most recently, she was bleeding and it went on for about 6 weeks before her D&C. She's had a cervical polyp for awhile, but during the D&C they removed it and found some discoloration in the uterus. They sent both off to pathology. She got the results today that the pathologist reported them as pre-cancerous, but the doctors opinion is that the polyp is not precancerous. Am I wrong in thinking that the pathologist is the expert in that particular field? Determining when things are and are not precancerous?

Anyway, cancer runs rampant on my mom's side of the family, but I realize that not all cancers are the same. But my mom has had cancer before (but not the hereditary kind of cancer), but my aunt (her sister) has had cervical, ovarian & uteran cancer.

My moms doctor is just kind of shrugging it off and is going to 'treat' the precancerous cells with progesterone. Is this normal? I'm worried and I think my mom should get a second opinion, but maybe that's a common treatment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-28-2008, 04:50 PM

Hi Jenelle,

I don't know the answer to your questions, (though it seems to me that the pathologist would know in this case) but while I personally can't answer your question, someone should be along shortly that can give you some good advice or may be able to spread some light on the situation. If you don't get the answers you want from your mom's doctor, don't be afraid to get a 2nd opinion from another doctor.

Best of luck to you and your mom.
Unread 01-28-2008, 08:28 PM

They can check tumors for receptors, but I am not sure they can test just cells. A receptor can be positive or negative for estrogen blockers. If your mother does have negative cells progesterone will do no good.

I would discuss this with the dr. I may be way off base here with just the pre cancer cells. My tumor was negative so none of the blocker meds will work for me.

I would certainly get another opinion on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2008, 02:34 PM

Hi Janelle,
I am sorry your mom has gotten this news!

I would think the pathologist would be the one to look to for expert advice on the pathology of a cyst/tumor whatever. If the doc doesnt' agree, maybe they can send your mom's slides off to another pathologist for a second opinion.

Tell your mom about this site. I suggest she joins us here if she needs support and info. As you know, this is a great place to be!

Send her our way! I'd love to give her a !

xoxoxo
Unread 01-30-2008, 06:18 AM

Oh I absolutely agree this site is wonderful, but she is completely computer-illiterate. I think she could do fine if she'd try, but she's convinced she's stupid and can't do anything

She's accepting what the doctor is saying, but I'm skeptical and I think she should get a 2nd opinion. Considering cervical/uteran cancer run in her immediate family, I don't think they (her doc) should be casual and laid back about this.

Thanks everybody for your replies and concerns. I am going to suggest she get a 2nd opinion.

I love hystersisters
Unread 01-30-2008, 01:07 PM

Yes, the pathologist would be the expert in determining precancerous cells.

I would definately get a second opinion from a gyn/oncologist. I am wondering why the doctor would second guess his/her own pathologist.

Maybe you can post the pathology results here. I wonder if there is mention of specific terms describing the precancer as "hyperplasia simple or complex, with or without atipia"?

I also wonder if there there is a plan for a followup D&C to make sure that the progesterone worked?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register