Robotic Assisted Total Radical Hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Our Hysterectomy Stories > da Vinci Hysterectomy Stories

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Robotic Assisted Total Radical Hysterectomy Robotic Assisted Total Radical Hysterectomy

Unread 01-28-2008, 04:42 PM
Robotic Assisted Total Radical Hysterectomy

For the past two years I have had trouble getting a normal pap. Last year after two abnormals and two biopsies, I had a normal one. Yeah! Or so I thought. One year later, same thing, although this one was only checked once before my gyn decided a cone biopsy surgical procedure was in order, now. From what I was reading, it looked like this would be the clincher and it would all be done and over with afterwards. Hah. Was I wrong. I received a phone call the week before Christmas stating how sorry they were to call, especially at that time of year, but the pathology reported Cervical Cancer.

Talk about whacked on the head! A hysterectomy? GYN Oncologist (I didn't even know there was that type of dr), ekg, cat scan, xrays, blood, soon...it's all a whirr.

The GYN/ONC took forever to see me (actually is was only the two weeks of Christmas and New Years). Seemed like an eternity as you are just waiting for him to tell you when, where, how, why, and what then?

My doctor is the best. I don't think "at ease" would cover my mental condition, but he definitely answered my questions.

Apparently I fit all the criteria for the Robotic Assisted Surgery! Wow! Spacey! He seemed excited about the robot and the outcome. The surgery was scheduled for Friday, January 25th. The prior two days I had to empty my system. I think I could have done that without the Ducolax - my bowels were so nervous!

Plans changed however. On Thursday the 17th while driving my boys home from school, I received a phone call. "Are you sitting down?" Yes, I'm driving. I have to. Why? Oh, we had a scheduling conflict and you now have surgery scheduled for this Monday. AHh! Enough to make you crash! Well I made it home, got my blood test, cleaned my system out, emailed my boys (not like they ever read them anyway) and paid the bills. Okay, that should hold the house for a week anyway.

Monday morning and I am a bucket of nerves. My husband is too. Luckily we were in a cuddly, loving mood, not the fighting mood. Took a little while to get admitted into the new building of St. Joseph's in Orange. Wow! High tech - individual cubbies with their own lcd tv's and lots of nurses.

Well this is the prep for the Robotic Surgery. IV of course, shaving of pubic region, met with the doctor and anesthesiologist and waited with my husband, holding hands, until my "cocktail" as they called it. I remember the surgical room, looking around at all the equipment, but I didn't get to see the robot before I saw no more.

My husband says it took 5 hours and 15 minutes. I was in recovery for an hour, and then moved to a private room. Where I come in is the private room. I remember nothing until that point. I woke up with a catheter, headache, wierd pain (but not overwhelming) and these things on my legs that felt like leg massagers and could have been my best friend had they let me take them home.

I had five incisions on my belly, not in the nice upside down U shape that I had seen on the web site, but in the general are of higher right side, belly button (ow) and two lower on the left side. They were all held together by some type of glue(?) and steristrips. Yeah! I was very happy not to have staples or stitches! They had taken the cervix (the main problem), uterus, ovaries, tubes and some lymph nodes. That night I had the most bazaar dreams. Sleep came and went. The pain meds worked, I think. I was pretty out of it. I also got hot and cold. Hormones? The doctor said I could leave on Tuesday, but sort of left it up to me. I was stupid and left. That was dumb. I should have stayed at least one more night.

Hint: If you are having Robotic assisted, don't wear sweats, or if you do, extremely loose with drawstring! That was painful! With the abdominal incision, it is low, but the robotic is high. A Jumper type dress would be best. I cried the whole way home.

That night I had the worst nausea and every time I close my eyes it felt like I was in the 60's having some type of trip dream. (no, I've never done that) My husband called the doctor and they rushed a prescription for nausea through the pharmacy before it closed and thank GOD. Apparently it was from the long surgery and the anestesia.

The other thing I didn't know was that they put a tube down your throat and breathe for you. I had trouble talking for several days after.

For four days I did not care if I lived or died, but on the fifth, after a quick shower, I actually started to pick up. I was sent home with a catheter and once I started switching to the leg bag during the day and could dress in some new pj's, my attitude has improved. I have four more days on the catheter and will cheer when they take it out (I hope).

If anyone wants to know any specific details about the robotic surgery, feel free to ask. Right now I am not doing much except watching movies, computer, and healing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register