blood clot? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-28-2008, 05:04 PM
blood clot?

Im 11 days post op from my TAH and left ovary out. I went to my family doctor today because of a hard time taking deep breaths and had a chest xray and bloodwork and my right lung isnt all the way inflated which i was told isnt that abnormal after surgeries. I also had bloodwork done to find out if i might have a blood clot and the test wasnt all the way complete by the time the office closed but they said it was "unofficially positive". If it turns out to be officially positive i have to go in the morning for a ct scan to see if i have a pulmonary embolism and im so scared. anyone else have this happen??!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-28-2008, 05:32 PM
blood clot?

I'm so sorry you're having this problem. We all expect to just come home and recover, it's so disappointing when things don't go as well as we want. You did the right thing seeing the Dr so soon, and he seems to be pro-active. I'll be thinking of you, keep us posted. Good Luck.
Unread 01-28-2008, 05:36 PM
blood clot?

So sorry your not feeling well. My dr did warm me that there is a slim chance during the first few weeks after to get a blood clot . I hope it isnt one big hugs for you. and good luck
hugs
lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-28-2008, 06:24 PM
blood clot?

cindamae41,
Wishing you the best. I will
keep you in my prayers.
Please let us know how you are doing.
Unread 01-28-2008, 07:19 PM
blood clot?

Oh thank you all for your wishes and prayers. I will come back on tomorrow and let you know what I found out. Thanks for being there for me during this scary time.
Unread 01-28-2008, 10:08 PM
blood clot?

At 7 days post op, I was having trouble breathing, and some mild chest pain. I took a neb treatment thinking it was my asthma. Well it didn't work, so I headed off to the ER. I work there, and they all knew about the surgery, so they grabbed on quick to that protocal. I went strait to CT. It turned out I had a PE aka Pulmonary Embolism aka blood clot in my right upper lobe. They hooked me up to heparin, and admitted me to ICU for 3 days. I cried the whole time because my doctors were jerks, and didn't explain anything to me. I just knew it could be fatal and that I could die. Nobody told me that the heparin would dissolve it almost immediatly. Nobody ever informed my surgeon. Had I known he should have been there, I would have called him myself. He would have explained everything to me, and maybe I wouldn't have been so freaked out. He was pretty PO'd the next week when he did find out and he wasn't called. Anyway, I left the hospital with a 10 pack of Lovenox injections. Twice a day in the belly. Plus, I'm on Coumadin until October. I will never have the option for HRT or anything, because now I have a history and those can cause blood clots. I have a large cyst on my right ovary, and can't try any hormonal treatment to make it shrink, so now I'm looking at another surgery.

Ok, enough rambling. If you start to get short of breath, with chest pain and paranoia, I would go to your emergency room. By the way, paranoia or anxiety is a symptom of a pulmonary embolism. So are wheezing, and coughing that's brought on all of a sudden.

Hope this helps for info. I didn't want to freak you out, just wanted to share my story with you.
Unread 01-28-2008, 10:26 PM
blood clot?

Thanks for sharing. I'm glad you are open about it. I need to know! The worst part is that I can't get the test until morning so as you can see..I can't sleep worrying about it! I'm sorry that you had to deal with all of it in the way you did. I think sometimes people just assume you know whats going on when noone has taken the time to explain it to you. That's why I love the internet. I've been looking up all kinds of stuff to get a better idea of what i could be facing. Keeping my fingers crossed that I wont have a clot but need to know just in case. I'm really not prepared to spend 3-5 more days in the hospital. On the other hand, I don't want to die! Thank you for taking the time to write back. It's much appreciated. Tomorrow morning I will be hanging by the phone for that phone call that will decide how my next few days will be spent...,healing at home or more hospital time. I don't have any pain or wheezing. I just have the feeling that I have congestion. I'm hoping that all it is is that my lung needs to inflate to its fullest and then everything will be ok. Such a scary thing to think about. But thank you again for the info.
Unread 01-29-2008, 02:31 AM
blood clot?

I also had a large PE a week after my surgery. My symptoms were shortness of breath (which kinda snuck up on me so I didn't notice), anxiety and extreme pain in my ribs when breathing heavily, especially at night.
My experience in hospital was great though - I had very informative doctors and nurses and I never thought at any point that my life was in danger.
Spent 2 days in hospital and then had to get the injections every day for a week, which I went to the local medical centre for as I couldn't inject myself!
Was then on warfarin for 3 months. The biggest pain was the regular blood tests to get the warfarin levels right.
The only symptoms that lingered for a while was the pain in my ribs - the muscles took a while to calm down again, and I kept taking small, sharp involuntary intakes of breath every now and again.
Anyway, six months later and I'm right as rain!
The extra 2 days in hospital was kinda of good as it forced me to take it easy and probably helped make my TAH recovery so successful! Okay... no one wants to be in hospital any longer than they have to be, but I'm trying to put a positive spin on it lol
Hope everything turns out okay, and if it has turned out to be a PE, don't worry, you're in the right hands
Unread 01-29-2008, 08:45 AM
blood clot?

I had a PE, symptoms starting 3 weeks after my last baby by C-section. It was a big one. Heparin IV for 10 days in the Women's wing, since I'd just had a baby. I would've gone home sooner, but they couldn't get the Coumadin high enough in my blood til day 10. Then I was was Coumadin for 6 mo. They tested me like crazy and in the end I was told it was a "fluke."

I felt so much better after just one day of Heparin. Good stuff! Before that, aside from shortness of breath, I couldn't lie down at all, it hurt so much. I spent that fisrt night sleeping on a pillow on the food tray, not fun.

Praying for you...
Unread 01-29-2008, 11:06 AM
blood clot?

Thanks everyone. My doctor just called and told me that my cat scan was negative for clots!!!! I'm so relieved. Whew! "Thanks for all your support in this. I still have to work on getting my right lung all the way inflated but that seems trivial now next to the possibility of a clot.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register