Yucky Dr visit today - need opinions.... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Yucky Dr visit today - need opinions.... Yucky Dr visit today - need opinions....

Unread 01-28-2008, 09:38 PM
Yucky Dr visit today - need opinions....

Hi Ladies,

So I went to the Dr today for suspect granulation tissue. I had bright red bleeding after sex. I was so sure reading these boards every day that I knew exactly what he would say - granulation, here is your silver nitrate, be on your merry way.......only he didn't say that!

He said that he thinks my tube prolapsed through my cuff and he wanted to schedule me for lap surgery to explore and possibly repair

He told me granulation tissue and the tube look the same and that he can only tell for sure by looking which it is???? Huh?? I don't remember reading that. I totally freaked out because I was so not expecting that and so I said no way!! Treat it like it is granulation and let's go from there. So he did, but he told me I would need to come back at least 2X a week for the next 3 weeks to treat it. I go back again on Thursday for the next treatment. Has anyone else had to go that often??

After I got home and started thinking about the things he said I started wondering if he knows more than he told me. He REALLY wanted me to agree to the surgery. Why would he say that if it was possibile that it is granulation?? He said he was afraid he was going to torture me with the treatments for the next three weeks only to have to operate anyway.

I'm so frustrated and upset tonight. I've been feeling so good and I reconciled with my BF and now the thought of facing another surgery is really getting to me I told him- you know your ruining my Valentines Day

Thanks for your thoughts and opinions,

Starbgirl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-28-2008, 10:45 PM

I would get a second opinion. If you have insurance you are entitled to a second opinion (atleast I know with my insurance I am). I don't know much about your problem but I would definetly call my insurance co. Good Luck and keep us updated.
Unread 01-28-2008, 10:55 PM

Hi (((Starbgirl))) Your DR is right that a prolapsed tube tends to look a lot like granulation on the cuff. We've had several women here who have had them, and they all said it was hard to identify and diagnose. Their symptoms included bright red spotting or bleeding during or after sex and VERY painful sex. From what I've read here, a prolapsed tube can be exceedingly painful if it's touched.

Here are a couple of links that may help you:

http://www.femalepatient.com/html/ar...032_08_051.asp

http://www.laparoscopyhospital.com/L...l_Prolapse.htm

I think your DR is being very thorough and careful, and I think he was being honest in saying he was afraid he would be torturing you for three weeks and then you'd still have to have surgery. Treating a prolapsed tube with silver nitrate can be very, very painful. If you show up next week and the silver nitrate treatments don't bother you that much, it may well be that you don't have a prolapsed tube; I hope that turns out to be the case. But I think your DR was just trying to spare you some suffering.

s,
-Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-28-2008, 11:07 PM

What is a "prolapsed tube"? I had a TAH + BSO 3 weeks ago. I know I have at least another 3 weeks before resuming intercourse, but wonder if it's something I need to watch out for.
Unread 01-29-2008, 06:22 AM

So I did have the bright red bleeding but very little pain. And while things in there were tender at the spot when he touched it it was NOT painful. The silver nitrate didn't hurt either. It stung a little and it made things a litlle stingy and crampy yesterday but it was very tolerable. I know I have a high pain threshold but it seems if it was bad it would hurt more. Ugh.

He said other things he thought shouldn't be happening was that my stomach should not get so swollen still?? I thought we were all suffering the swelly belly thing?? Also that it is still sometimes painful to move my bowels which it is but it is 1,000 times better than a month ago.

I don't know I thought I was healing up just fine.

So has anyone else heard of treating with the silver nitrate 2-3 times a week for 3 weeks?? That surprised me too as I never read that before here either.

Thanks for all your help you guys........I really appreciate it.

Starbgirl
Unread 01-29-2008, 06:58 AM

Hi Starbgirl!

I'm sorry you're having problems and aren't sure yet if it's granulation tissue or a prolapsed tube. My problem was definitely granulation as my tubes were removed when I had my TAH/BSO. (((sommerdal))), I suspect yours were too so you shouldn't have to be concerned about a prolapsed tube. Ask your doctor to be sure.

My granulation was a bad case. My doctor tried one treatment of silver nitrate but wasn't at all optimistic that it would be successful in treating the amount of granulation I had. Unfortunately, he was right. When I went back for a follow-up, there was still a lot of granulation tissue which bled easily when touched. So, he performed a minor surgery in the office to remove the granulation tissue. The tissue was sent to pathology to confirm that it was actually granulation tissue, which it was. The surgery wasn't pleasant, but it was done vaginally and I was pretty much back to feeling normal the following day, though a bit sore.

I did have to go back for additional treatments of silver nitrate to help heal the area but I definitely wasn't going as frequently as your doctor has suggested. I went once a week at most until it was finally cleared but that was probably because the worst of the mess had been removed with the surgery. Thankfully once it was healed I never had any more trouble with the vaginal cuff.

Anyone who wants more information about granulation and how it's treated may want to click this link: Vaginal Cuff Granulation - Silver Nitrate - Cauterization

I hope it is granulation tissue that you're dealing with and that you don't have to go in for surgery. I do think your doctor is looking out for you. Let us know how you're doing, okay?

s
Unread 01-29-2008, 07:48 AM

i'm so sorry youre having these issues i thought things were getting better for you. i didnt even know a tube could prolapse through the cuff. i am sure that i would do what youre doing..trying the treatments first before consenting to more surgery. getting another opinion also really helps. i hope you fel better really soon
Unread 01-29-2008, 07:52 AM

I've had granulation tissue treated SEVERAL times and the doctor's always told me that if it were my tube prolapsing, I would be jumping off the table when it was touched.
Unread 01-29-2008, 09:00 AM

starbgirl~

I'm so sorry you are having continued problems, I sure wish this could be over for you! I'm sending BIG 's to you, and know your sisters are praying for you. I had granulation tissue as well, but only needed 1 treatment of silver nitrate and 2 weeks of Premarin vaginal cream. Seems all healed up now (no more bleeding). It sounds like your doc really cares, and I'm sure he doesn't want to put you through even more than what you have already had to do. Is there any way to see the problem via ultrasound, rather than just waiting to see what happens with the SN treatments? Just wish I could wave my magic wand and make you all better!! Good luck and let us know how you're doing...
Unread 01-29-2008, 11:00 AM

Starbgirl, just wanted to send you a . I'm sorry for your continued problems.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register