what should i be doing at 3 wks post op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

what should i be doing at 3 wks post op what should i be doing at 3 wks post op

Unread 01-29-2008, 06:23 AM
what should i be doing at 3 wks post op

could anyone advise what i should be able to do at 3 wks post op i have just been walking round the house at the moment being very carefull then i read about people driving at 4 wks and i havnt even been out yet. am i being to carefull and should i be doing more please advise if possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2008, 06:28 AM

this is something that is so individual, only you can know what you are ready for. Can you take short walks in your neighborhood? I walked the block around my house many times after the first week home, but I did have a pretty smooth recovery. As for the driving, it depends on what kind of anesthesia you had and what your doctor recommends. I didn't have general anesthesia, and I was able to drive after about 3 weeks, took short trips to the grocery store and bought small items. I still was not lifting really anything around the house until I got my six-week checkup at my doctor's office. Give the doctor a call if you have any doubts about what is a safe activity level at this point.
Unread 01-29-2008, 06:38 AM

Hi arm,
Our bodies are all different & we all heal at different rates. Like you, I was very cautious as to what I did. I didn't get out of bed much the first two weeks, by the third week I tried spending more time downstairs, but still spent alot of time in bed with my heating pad. The fourth week I had my post-op appt & I was "released" & by then felt ready & more comfortable to be active. (I was fortunate that my Mom "moved in for a month until I had my post-op visit so I could truly rest) The fifth week I returned to my part-time job & it has been exhausting. Now I am into my seventh week & finally beginning to feel a little more energetic. I am still watching what I lift (& still will only pick up my two year old when I am sitting). I hope to return to exercise gradually next week, but will ease back into it & never do a 50# squat again!
Good luck & take care of you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2008, 10:59 AM

I moved around really well in the hospital and once I got home, but did not drive until five weeks out. We are all so different. I am in my seventh week and went back to work last week and feel like I did at week three (sore and tired). You are going to move forward and then back a few steps. Just be kind and patient with yourself, this is your recovery, make sure you only have to recover once.

At three weeks I made very simple meals, loaded the washer and dryer, never lifting baskets or more than one or two items at a time. I did go out, DH drove, but only for very short grocery trips, and did very light house keeping (dusting, dishes), and I did not do these things every day. My third and fifth week (I don't know why) I felt the worst.

Take care!

bitterpill
Unread 01-29-2008, 11:22 AM

HI,
As you have read everyone is so different. I can only say how it is for me 3 weeks post-op. Some days I can function great but others I am pretty much laying down the entire day. I have done too much some days and too little others. I can say take it easy. I have done too much, which really isn't that much but it knocked me out and made me so tired. I still have pain (manageable) but some days are better then others. Sleeping has been a battle so I never know how I will feel the next day. My doctor said no squatting or lifting over 10lbs, vacuuming or pushing things for 6 weeks. so I am going on that. I have been out a few times and boy just couldn't do it and had to leave. I have to run out today so hopefully I can get some stuff done. Good luck!! Take it easy and do what you feel you can do
Unread 01-29-2008, 02:40 PM

arm -

Everyone is different and I think it is somewhat determined by what procedure you had done. Can you tell us more? I had an LSH and doctor has cleared me for more than I feel I am ready for. haha I think there is a thin line of doing too little and doing too much...but trust me, your body will let you know either way!
Unread 01-29-2008, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm
could anyone advise what i should be able to do at 3 wks post op i have just been walking round the house at the moment being very carefull then i read about people driving at 4 wks and i havnt even been out yet. am i being to carefull and should i be doing more please advise if possible.
Every individual is different and I was one of the slow healers. I would read through the posts and some of the women would talk about how they were walking 5 miles a day at 3 weeks and all I could think about was how are they doing this?

My doctor told me not to drive until 3 weeks and there's was no way that I felt up to drive by myself. I went to the hairdresser at 5 weeks and regretted it. My DH took really good care of me and I probably was a little spoiled.

My suggestion is to stay in your jammies, rest, take small walks and try to stay ahead of your pain. You will start to feel better!
Unread 01-29-2008, 10:51 PM

I had the TVH on Jan 21. My doctor told me today that I could drive now. He did say to avoid lifting and bending. And although he said I can drive I'm going to take it easy a little while longer.
Unread 01-29-2008, 11:28 PM

arm,
At three weeks you should still be RESTING!!

While recovery is different for everyone, the most important thing
to consider is what type of operation was done.

If you have a TAH, you have a lot of internal stitches.
Doctors usually tell you to not drive :steer: for 4 to 6 weeks.
One reason for this is that when you press your foot on the brake,
your abdominal muscles contract.
You shouldn't be using your stomach muscles at all.
You shouldn't be bending over to pick anything up either. No vacuuming!

Just REST, REST, REST!!

You can't really "listen to your body" to tell when it is time to resume
your usual activities. You may feel better after 3 or 4 weeks and think
that your body is ready to walk 3 miles.
But if you do that, you may end up extending your recovery.
If your internal stitches tear you may need additional surgery.
If you engage in too much activity,
you may have adhesions form.

If you didn't have a TAH, you may be able to resume more of your regular activities.
The best thing to do is to follow your doctors orders!

it isn't worth the risk. Just REST!!!
Unread 01-30-2008, 05:22 AM

I had a TVH and have had an easy recovery. I was released to drive at 8 days but I have only driven twice and both times I never left our gated community. I do cook and do the laundry but I am very careful about lifting limits. I do not vacuum but I sure need to. I have used the little broom to get the worst off the tile floors.

I went out to dinner twice once at just one week and again last night. I also played canasta yesterday at the community center and attended a lecture last night.

I am pretty much back to my normal retired life. I do not nap or lay down during the day but I am not overdoing it.

I should have done this eight years ago when my problems first started. That is my only regret.

Am I suggesting that anyone else should be like me--- heck no. I do think doing a lot of pilates and aerobic exerises for about two years prior to this surgery helped me---- a lot. I am fluffy but fairly fit for an old broad.

Listen to your body. Listen to your doctor. Listen to your heart. Not necessarily in that order.

Kay

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register