What about the Nurses | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What about the Nurses What about the Nurses

Unread 01-30-2008, 12:27 PM
What about the Nurses

One of my worries is that I will end up having a nurse that isn't very nice. I have heard so many people say that they didn't have the best care. Any advice on how to get the nurses to treat you well. I am not a needy person, I would really rather be left alone. However, I am not going to have anyone visit me in the hospital, so if I need help or meds, I will have to depend on the nurses. Also, has anyone heard of nurses making fun of people for any reason. I always wonder what is said behind your back, if your overweight or something. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-30-2008, 12:53 PM
What about the Nurses

I had wonderful nurses. I was very nice to them and they were very nice to me. I think sometimes the patient's attitude sets the tone.

I was only there for about 27 hours and in my room for less than 23 so there wasn't that much interaction at all. I will say that I had a male nurse for the last few hours and call me a sexist, but that made me very uncomfortable. He was very professional and I have no legitimate "complaint" but all I could think of was I was so happy that he was not on duty when it was time for my catheter to be removed and my packing to be removed. I know that I am being foolish, but heck, I had just had my uterus removed and I was entitled to be a little irrational.

I also learned a valuable lesson from one of my nurse's aides. She was a little person. Watching her struggle to reach the small gloves stacked on top of the medium and large ones made me realize that being short (5ft 1") is not as inconvenient as I have always thought it was.

Be nice to the nurses and hopefully they will be nice to you. If they are not then by all means let the hospital know that you were not treated well. Be specific and name names. We deserve quality care.

Downyocean but you can call me Kay
Unread 01-30-2008, 02:00 PM
What about the Nurses

When I was in hospital in July I had a male nurse checking me in and doing the q&a pre-op. I was not comfortable either (and I am not a prude ..lol) but when he aksed me "You shaved down there ? I'll take take care of it for you." Faster than lightning I said "already taken care of already!!" I think he saw my reaction and a female nurse took care of the rest. My DH was with me and thought the whole exchange was a little odd and did not like the way in which he asked me.

And I will not hesitated to ask for a female nurse if it would make me feel more at ease when I go to the castle in a few weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-30-2008, 02:11 PM
What about the Nurses

Someone on here suggested a candy dish and I did that. The and all loved it.

I only had one bad incident with a nurse and I complained to the charge nurse IMMEDIATELY and had her reassigned to someone else.

I agree that our attitude helps a great deal. But there may be that 1 who thinks that because they see hysterectomy patients every day that there is no big deal. I disagree.

Gonna get a little graphic: Read on keeping that warning in mind.

I started throwing up what appeared to be old blood and I asked that they call my surgeon or the doctor on call. The nurse refused - stating that it was ok for me to throw up AND "We don't call the doctor for every little thing." After talking to the charge nurse and sharing my bucket with her, she called the on-call doc immediately. When she arrived, it was determined that I needed to be given something to sleep because the nurse had so carelessly jostled me around (after 3 days of throwing up everytime I got out of bed) and I just could not stand it. As far as the contents of my bucket, I was absolutly correct - they sent it to the lab.

The rest of the staff had been and remained great to me, my family and my visitors.
Unread 01-30-2008, 02:26 PM
What about the Nurses

Thanks for the replies. Good thing valentines day is right around the corner, lots of candy to choose from at the store. Also, I decided that I will request only females for everything once I get to the castle and no students. Years ago I told everyone that I wouldn't ever have a male GYN doctor either, as it turns out he is the only urogyn in my area, and he is wonderful. But for some reason the male nurse thing really creeps me out, especially in that area.
Unread 01-30-2008, 02:36 PM
What about the Nurses

I know you said you weren't having visitors, but sometimes it is good for the nurses and staff to see that you have family coming to check up on you. My experience was a positive one and I forgot to bring goodies, but thought I would at least send a card to the nursing staff on the floor I was on. Generaly each nurse is assigned a certain number of patients so you should have someone who is responsible for you....you shouldn't be ignored. I also think if you are nice they will be nice in return, they didn't choose to go into a healing profession because they didn't like people. I hope your experience and your healing are good and as pain free as possible. - Suzyq
Unread 01-30-2008, 07:11 PM
What about the Nurses

I am sorry some of you did not receive wonderful care...I have to admit before I go on...I am a nurse....and I apologize for the nurses who lacked compassion for you...it is why we go into this field...and you have to enjoy what you do...I enjoy being a nurse and I make sure each one of my patients get the best possible care...I had surgery Nov. 14th 2007 TAHBSO...I was on the other side and see the importance of treating others with kindness and respect...
I had the best experience...everyone treated me and my family so well...I was impressed by my own healthcare system I work for...I praised everyone..sent a letter to administration afterwards and to all the nurses and PCA's. No one knew me at this hospital either...I actually chose this sister hospital over my own...for privacy reasons.
I hope you all get the best care..you deserve it...and you are correct in talking with the charge nurse if you are having problems with the assigned nurse...you have this choice and they will change for you.
Good luck to all of you...
Unread 01-30-2008, 07:30 PM
What about the Nurses

Prior to surgery I asked to speak to my doctor and requested a private room even though my insurance did not cover it I was willing to pay the extra cash. He said he would get me a room and they sent me to the maternaty ward which I didn't mind I didn't get a private room because they were all taken but I had a room all to myself the entire hospital stay. Needless to say the ALL of my Nurses and N.A.'s were angels with me! They were sweethearts. They treated me with respect and they were very kind to me.

I also thanked them for everything that they did even when they gave me injections and medication. I made sure to tell them thank you so much for your care and I appreciate your hard work. They were all great and if I need to be hospitalized ever again I want to go back to this hospital with the same nurses.

Good Luck.
Unread 01-30-2008, 08:44 PM
What about the Nurses

Over all, my care was excellent, and I tried to be an excellent patient. But I did have to tell one nurse that if she continued with the bad attitude and every excuse in the book not to have my pain meds delivered as prescribed that I was going to call the doctor, head nurse, or even a social worker at the hospital. It worked. Do not be shy about being your own advicate or finding one of your own through the hospital. It is important that you are clean, have your pain managed, and to rest.

I am praying the best for you,

bitterpill

PS I have to add that the coffee at the hospital was really good too!
Unread 01-30-2008, 09:04 PM
What about the Nurses

My one suggestion would be to have someone with you to make sure your request for pain medication is taken care of asap. I made the mistake of telling my sister that she should go to work, that I would be ok, would be sleeping most of the time. Before she left, I asked for pain medication (about 2pm). About 4pm, still no pain medication. When my evening nurse came in to indentify herself and asked if there was anything she could get for me, I started crying and said I had asked for pain medication and didn't get it yet. The nurse assistant with her (a male) said that he remembered me asking the other nurse (he was with her when I asked for it). She promised she would be right back with the medication and she kept her word. The look on her face when she returned told me that someone was probably written up for not bringing the meds. After that, I had my medication soon after requesting it. That was my only bad experience. I know that the nurses are overworked due to the fact that most of their patients are newly post-op and are only there for a day or two. I heard a few weeks ago that nurses have started forming unions to assure better patient care by demanding lower ratios of patients to nurses. I believe they want 1 nurse for four patients as opposed to some hospitals forcing them to take on at least six or eight patients per nurse. Think about it. Years ago when our mothers had babies (and even some of you), they kept you in the hospital for a week or longer. The nurses could decide which patient could wait for them and which ones were more in need of assistance. You acquire a whole new sense of what the nurses are going through with their employers. On top of that, they need to do the paperwork before they can go home ... and overtime is scrutinized and sometimes denied. They appreciate the candy and other sweets, but a "thank you" goes a long way as well.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register