anemia and healing week 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

anemia and healing week 3 anemia and healing week 3

Unread 01-30-2008, 01:32 PM
anemia and healing week 3

Hi, I am at my 3 week anniversary, TAH except one ovary, but lost a great deal of blood during surgery, I have a hemo. of 7 ...trying to manage some iron pills and not get constipated. I am exhausted most of the time ( read 6 kids) and they are being incredibly helpful...but...
my question is this, does anemia slow down the actual healing internally that my abdominal cavity is trying to do...? anybody know anything about this
my pain levels come and go, but are very much better than the previous weeks. I am still a lump under the covers most days, with small forays downstairs and every now and again a field trip for a small amount of time...

thanks ladies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-31-2008, 01:34 AM

I do not know the exact answer to your question but I can share my experience with you! I became anemic while in the hospital because of internal bleeding. As the complications piled up, I was finally given a transfusion of 2 pints of blood. I did have a long recovery and healed slowly. So, maybe there is a connection? Have you asked your doctor how the anemia will affect your healing?

I hope things go well for you and soon you start to feel more energetic. Anemia can definitely leave you tired. You may want to ask your doctor for additional advice on how to deal with the anemia more quickly.

Best wishes to you! in there!

S
Unread 01-31-2008, 05:59 AM

Hi INFP

I came out of hospital with a reading of 7. Offered a transfusion, but chose not to take it. I was on iron tablets for 4 weeks.

This is the advice I was given -
always take iron with roange juice(vitamin C helps your body absorb the iron)
Avoid taking them when you're eating bran (that attracts the iron and takes it out of the body with it, rather than absorbing it)
Drink loads of water and eat fruit to avoid constipation
Take stool softeners
This is the gross bit - my bm's were black with iron for weeks - only just gone back to normal.

With the tablets, it may take up to 3 weeks to feel a bit better. Eating healthily(lots of food containing iron-red meat, green leafy vegetables) could take 3 months or more.

I'm 7 weeks post-op and waiting for new results. I'm just taking normal multi-vitamins now.

Just to say, I've had a normal recovery. Outside healed really quickly. Everything has healed inside on time and apart from a bit of swelly belly and discomfort, I'm nearly there..

Hope this helps
x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-31-2008, 12:00 PM

INFP,

I was anemic for almost 3 years on and off due to the bleeding. I took iron the whole time. It will get better. Eat your meat, beans, and greens. I am finally starting to feel like my old self, and am only at a 6 now. I had to have a few pints of blood since my hyst in Nov 07 also. I think (not a dr or nurse) that your body does need the iron to help heal. Take your iron supplements and the wonderful red stool softners every day. Lots of hugs...
Unread 01-31-2008, 12:17 PM

Thanks for all the advice...I had to go to a slow release iron supplement because of the constipation issues with the little green pills, and stool softeners only help a little, but I am emailing my DH to get all bran and oj tonight!
after a one hour chemistry class that I teach to high school homeschoolers in my home, I crashed yesterday, and slept all morning today as well.
DH promises me he will make me red meat tonight!!!

blessings to all of you, it really helps to talk to people who are dealing with the same issues.
Unread 01-31-2008, 12:30 PM

Oh, I forgot...do you drink tea? I had a dr tell me once that it affects how you absorb iron, he also told me not to eat iron food with milk products...like broccali with cheese because the calcium binds with the iron so you don't absorb it. Ever tried liver? My mom is still making me liver/onions and bacon everyweek since hers is the only one I can stand. She makes me 4-6 at a time and freezes them for me. Boy friend won't eat it but the grandson does! Pate is liver, bruenswhiger (don't know the spelling) has a lot of liver in it. I swear once I get my iron up and it stays up, I will not eat red meat for a few months!
Unread 02-01-2008, 08:47 PM

I was anemic before the surgery (26 Oct) 9..and after surgery 6.9 ..my doctor prescribed the best iron medicine ever ANEMIDOX (MERK LAB) It does contains vitamin C and folic acid and the Iron disolves only when gets to the intestine so I doesn't constipate you or hurt your stomach. I went for check up on Nov 11th and I was at 11ml (almost normal) my energy level is better and I feel great. Ask your doctor about it. Avoid caffeine and milk 2 hours prior o after taking it. Good luck..

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register