3 mos. post surgery - still exhausted | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

3 mos. post surgery - still exhausted 3 mos. post surgery - still exhausted

Unread 01-30-2008, 02:23 PM
3 mos. post surgery - still exhausted

Anyone else out there still having trouble with energy levels 3 months after TAH/BSO? I am trying to get to the Y on most days to exercise - water aerobics or yoga, but it seems to wipe me out. I don't think I am sleeping too well, as I do not feel rested when I get up. I guess I could accept this if I knew other women were having the same issues - maybe I just need to give it more time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-30-2008, 06:41 PM

I am still exhausted too. I am working 50 hrs week and trying to play tennis 2 times wk. I used to be able to go and go even with the other problems I had I sleep okay I guess but am in a huge fog when I get up each morning . My back is still killing me and I still have stabbing sticking pain in right lower abdomen. I am on premarin maybe it is all related to hormones needing to settle down. You aren't alone. Maybe its my age, 51 in March.
Unread 01-30-2008, 08:35 PM

My surgery was 11/6/07 and my energy level is still not what it was. I just started using the tread mill a couple of weeks ago. I think that has helped somewhat. My main problem is getting a good night' sleep. Seems I sleep well until 2:00 a.m., then I'm awake. I'm sure not getting a good night's sleep is a big part of my energy level. I think more time will help us all. Our bodies have been through quite a bit of change -- I'm sure we'll get better every day. Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-31-2008, 07:04 AM

Hi Everyone,
I am 11 weeks post op and actually feeling quite well. I don't always sleep a good 8 hours (generally about 6) but it seems to me there are some clues to your fatigue. I mean this with much respect, maybe working 50 hours a week and the exercising that is going on is too much and your bodies are having a harder time recouperating. I'm speaking from experience. I wanted to get back to "normal" too fast. Since I slowed down a bit, I'm feeling better. Walking 15-30 minutes daily has been very helpful. I also stopped caffeine 1 week before my surgery and still am not using it and that has been helpful as well. Good luck!!!
Unread 01-31-2008, 08:38 AM

Hi
Three months today! I am finding that although I am feeling much better that I am needing to head to bed earlier than I did prior to my surgery. Have been exercising daily...doing a recumbant bike interval program, and stretching. Started doing some Pilates...very humbling to see how weak my abs still are.
I am feeling more fatigue/foggy than I would like. I know that I am not sleeping well as my surgically induced menopause is causing lots of flashes, nights are worse. I am trying to keep moving ahead and holding on the relief that I am 'just' recovering from major surgery and not having to deal with chemo or radiation...lucky that my pathology was negative. Trying to find the balance of thinking that surgery was already three months ago....with the reality that it is 'just' three months ago...need to cut myself some slack sometimes.
good luck, keep the faith
Unread 01-31-2008, 08:47 AM

I'm nearly 11 wks post op and sometimes come home from work (full-time) exhausted and needing to put my head down for a bit. I usually take some type of pain relief at bed-time because of my fibro (and restless legs) but that doesn't always assure me of a full night's rest and some mornings wake up in a fog. I do want to get back on my treadmill and walk a bit in the evenings, but am too tired usually to do so. Its so hard to get back into a routine!!

I'm sure having undergone a major surgery has thrown many of us for a loop, no matter how old we are. Hang in there...it can only get better from here!!
Unread 01-31-2008, 08:49 AM

Hi Mary, I'm 47 also and, like you, am still feeling very tired. Before my surgery I was an avid walker and I know that getting exercize will help but it has been soooo cold here I just don't want to get out (I know I could still exercize at home but just can't seem to get the motivation.). I am finally getting better sleep and that has helped a lot. Please know that you are not alone in feeling this way.

Blessings, Lisa
Unread 02-04-2008, 10:04 AM

Hello Ladies

Be patient ladies and just take it easy I'm moving into 5 mos and it just takes time. As much as you would like to pick up where you left off after your 6 - 8 weeks it still takes time. Gradually I'm starting to feel better each month. What help me to figure out if what I feel is a real concern or if its just part of the healing process is to keep a diary. I've kept this since my surgery, things like what I did during the day how I felt after what I ate and so forth and when I notices a trend somewhere that is where I backed off. This truely takes 6 mos to a year to get over. listen to your bodies and slow down and continue to pamper yourself. Surgery is over but healing is not. Hope this helps. Yes I still have problems sleeping through the night and I'm a little achy still but the night sweats and hot flashes are gone. Tge sleeping is even getting better so hang in there.
Unread 02-04-2008, 10:37 AM

I'm 10 wks post-op (TAH) today. I feel ok, but not exactly brimming with energy. I enjoyed those naps while I was off and now no more! I work 46 hrs a wk and commute 50 miles roundtrip. I try to walk daily 30 minutes and do water aerobics twice a week. I no longer sleep as deeply as I did before surgery. I often wake up feeling as if I hadn't slept at all. I have nightsweats every few nights which hinders my sleep too. My only complaint would probably be the lack of a restful night of sleep.
Unread 02-04-2008, 09:07 PM

Along with the tiredness is the back pain and the lower pelvic pain. My belly is so tender and aches constantly. I am thinking about calling the doctor but I don't know if I am expecting too much too soon.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register