Short Hospital Stay, or should I say NONE! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Short Hospital Stay, or should I say NONE! Short Hospital Stay, or should I say NONE!

Unread 01-31-2008, 10:06 AM
Short Hospital Stay, or should I say NONE!

I recently had a Vaginal Hysterectomy. I was released from the hospital in less than 15 hours after surgery. I was released with no examine, no pain meds and was not even walked out of the hospital. I have lots of vaginal pain and feel like I have something in my Vagina. Is this normal? Anyone else go through this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-31-2008, 10:22 AM

That was about when I was released too. I think it is common for a TVH.
Did you have packing? Was it all removed? I had my catheter and packing removed at about 6:30 in the am after my surgery at 8:30 am the previous day. I did not have an examine as such either. I was wheeled to the curb by a nurse though.

As soon as the catheter was out, I got dressed to go home and just waited for the paper work to be complete so I could go. I was treated well but felt that it was time to go home too. I was given a RX for pain meds and colax and that was it. I had absolutely no pain in my vagina or at the site of the extensive A&P repairs.

I didn't see a problem with this as I was told to expect to stay only overnight. Did you expect something else?

Kay
Unread 01-31-2008, 10:25 AM

So sorry you are going through all this. I would definitely call the doctor and get this straightened out. You should have been given pain meds and instructions for how to take care of yourself and what to expect in terms of recovery. If you can't get a hold of your surgeon call the on call doctor. Don't suffer needlessly. This is completely inappropriate. No one deserves this kind of treatment. Did they give you any advice? I will pray you find relief soon.
Janelle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-31-2008, 10:38 AM

I had packing that the doctor removed at the hospital. you should call the dr office and ask about the pain medicine also. Were you given any instructions at all? Good Luck and be proactive for your care.
Unread 01-31-2008, 10:51 AM

Wow, released in less than 24 hours! That doesn't seem right. I had a TVH and I was kept in the hospital for 48 hours and that's with no other procedures being done and no significant complications. I knew I wouldn't be leaving the day after my surgery because my doctor had already told me he was keeping me for 2 days prior to the surgery.

I didn't have any exam, however, before I was released. A resident released me and simply handed me a prescription for pain pills and iron. No instructions. The nurse did give me some very generalized instructions, but I have to admit I got most of my information here at hystersisters. The printouts they gave me at the hospital weren't much help. I was given the choice of walking out on my own two feet or waiting for the transport (which would have taken over an hour), and I chose to walk out because I wanted out of that place. Of course, I had two days to recover. I don't think you should have been made to walk out that soon after surgery. That must have been awful!

If you can get ahold of your doctor, I would ask about the pain pills and the pain you are feeling. Do you have a follow-up scheduled with your doctor any time soon? I'm sorry you are in pain. I wish you the best and hope that you will feel better soon.
Unread 01-31-2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle9876
So sorry you are going through all this. I would definitely call the doctor and get this straightened out. You should have been given pain meds and instructions for how to take care of yourself and what to expect in terms of recovery. If you can't get a hold of your surgeon call the on call doctor. Don't suffer needlessly. This is completely inappropriate. No one deserves this kind of treatment. Did they give you any advice? I will pray you find relief soon.
Janelle
I was told I would be in the hospital for 2-5 days. I was told nothing.. I was given written papers, but they were just the do's and dont's. I am not a stupid or uneducated person, but I sure feel that way at the moment.
Unread 01-31-2008, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downyocean
That was about when I was released too. I think it is common for a TVH.
Did you have packing? Was it all removed? I had my catheter and packing removed at about 6:30 in the am after my surgery at 8:30 am the previous day. I did not have an examine as such either. I was wheeled to the curb by a nurse though.

As soon as the catheter was out, I got dressed to go home and just waited for the paper work to be complete so I could go. I was treated well but felt that it was time to go home too. I was given a RX for pain meds and colax and that was it. I had absolutely no pain in my vagina or at the site of the extensive A&P repairs.

I didn't see a problem with this as I was told to expect to stay only overnight. Did you expect something else?

Kay
Kay,
I was told I would be in the hospital for 2-5 days. I had a tvh. I was in a lot of pain. The doctor didn't realize she had even ordered a cath??? The doctor came in and told the nurse to take it out. I still had IV's in my arms. No one even asked if I could "pee" on my own.. I guess I was just expecting to be treated differently. As far as packing, if I have it I still have it. Like I said, I feel like I have something inside of me. How can I tell??
Unread 01-31-2008, 11:52 AM

Something sounds seriously wrong. You should not have the packing left in, how many days has it been? Trust me, you would know if they pulled it out!!!!!!!! Most TVH's have packing. I had a TVH on 1-21 and I wasn't in even 24 hours but my care was wonderful. When the dr took out the packing I had to grab the bedrails, for some reason it was very uncomfortable. I also walked myself out and I was surprised about that. You may need to take yourself to the emergency room and tell them everything you have told us. If not, push the issue with your dr. but don't let this go. You also should have been given pain meds. Someone made a mistake. Please let us know how it turns out. I am so sorry for you. You shouldn't have to go through this.
Unread 01-31-2008, 11:55 AM

If you still have packing, you will feel very full and that may possibly be the case. Call your doctor and complain. I was told exactly what to expect and even when it would happen way in advance at my preop with admissions. I am worried that you may still have packing if you are that uncomfortable. I just felt full and like I had to go number 2 while the packing was in. That may have been due to the posterior repair though. There appeared to be maybe a yard of one to one and a half inch wide material strip that was the packing. The nurse who removed it showed it to me so that I could see that there really wasn't much blood on it at all.

After they removed the packing and the catheter, I had to prove to them that I could pee on my own. I had to call for help to get my IV pole etc to the bathroom and the aid waited until I passed some urine.

It appears that you did not receive adequate care or instructions. I thought you were mostly questioning the length of the stay which seemed pretty normal for a TVH.

Call, please.

Kay
Unread 01-31-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Trust me, you would know if they pulled it out!!!!!!!!
I'll agree with that! To quote the lovely resident who removed my packing, "This will probably be uncomfortable. Some patients tell me it feels like I'm removing sandpaper from in there." It wasn't nearly that bad in my opinion, but I would say you would definitely notice it. It was a little scratchy and it did seem like one of those magician's scarfs where they keep pulling it and pulling it and it keeps going and going.

In my case, the packing and the catheter were taken out probably a little less than 24 hours after the surgery. The IV stayed in the entire 48 hours and didn't come out until I was discharged.

I definitely agree you should have been given something for the pain. I can't imagine how you have gone this long without them. Please call your doctor.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register