Short Hospital Stay, or should I say NONE! - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Short Hospital Stay, or should I say NONE! Short Hospital Stay, or should I say NONE!

Unread 02-01-2008, 02:10 PM
Short Hospital Stay, or should I say NONE!

I am anxiously awaiting the report about your doctor visit, Cujetskiin.

I had my TVH in what was considered to be an outpatient procedure although I stayed in the hospital overnight. My surgery was at 8:30 am on the 14th and I was in my room about 1:30 pm. I was disconnected from the IV etc about 9 the next morning and waited for the paper work to come upstairs so I could go home about 11. The hospital bill came today--- $9, 204 and change and I was classified as an outpatient so I really do not think that very short hospital stays are that uncommon but the lack of care toward you is really a shame. I hope that you will have good news from your doctor.

Kay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-01-2008, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downyocean
I am anxiously awaiting the report about your doctor visit, Cujetskiin.

I had my TVH in what was considered to be an outpatient procedure although I stayed in the hospital overnight. My surgery was at 8:30 am on the 14th and I was in my room about 1:30 pm. I was disconnected from the IV etc about 9 the next morning and waited for the paper work to come upstairs so I could go home about 11. The hospital bill came today--- $9, 204 and change and I was classified as an outpatient so I really do not think that very short hospital stays are that uncommon but the lack of care toward you is really a shame. I hope that you will have good news from your doctor.

Kay
Kay
I am sorry this is the first I have been on since returning. My doctor was off today so I saw the doctor on-call. Guess what, I had some packing left inside of me. Not a lot, but that explains a lot. I am not sure what I am going to do at this point. You should have smelled the stench!! I am now on an anobiotic for 10 days. I go back to the hospital on Tuesday. My husband is furious, along with everyone else. I made sure that the hospital documented everything in my file and asked for a copy. Incredible.
Thank you for your kindness and caring!
@
Unread 02-01-2008, 02:57 PM

You poor thing! I'm glad you got it taken care of, and I hope the antibiotics will cure any infection immediately! I wonder what your doctor will say?? Get well soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-01-2008, 03:00 PM

I thought I read that you are from Pennsylvania. I was born there and have lots of relatives all over the state. I'd sure like to know where you were treated so I could be sure that I warned my relatives. I'm sure that is against all the rules so please don't really say but that is just the pits and a bigger disgrace.

Kay
Unread 02-01-2008, 03:16 PM

downyocean: I find it so interesting that you were classified as an outpatient surgery. I wasn't given a choice, my doctor basically said he wouldn't release me any sooner than 2 days. The insurance had a different opinion, however, and initially only approved overnight, so I guess they would have liked it to be an outpatient surgery. I still haven't gotten a bill from the hospital, and it's 3 months later. Your hospital billing department must work fast!

Cujettskiin: Good grief! I would be so angry! I sure hope that the antibiotics work. I'm so sorry you received such poor treatment and then have to go through this too! Shame on your doctor! Take care.
Unread 02-01-2008, 03:25 PM

They are very quick on getting the bills to you, trust me. They are just not as swift at posting the payments. My bill paying service sent them a check for $15 on January 3rd for my copay for a November visit. They keep sending me a bill for this service which was two months ago. I tried to pay as I was leaving but the office manager said she had closed the books for the day so would I mind waiting for a bill. Now they want me to stop payment on a $15 check (I'm sure that the charge for that is higher than $15) and send them another check. What a pain in my already sore bottom.
I was on the phone waiting to talk to the billing department for over 40 minutes although they kept ensuring me that I was next in line. UGH!!!

Kay
Unread 02-01-2008, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downyocean
They are very quick on getting the bills to you, trust me. They are just not as swift at posting the payments. My bill paying service sent them a check for $15 on January 3rd for my copay for a November visit. They keep sending me a bill for this service which was two months ago. I tried to pay as I was leaving but the office manager said she had closed the books for the day so would I mind waiting for a bill. Now they want me to stop payment on a $15 check (I'm sure that the charge for that is higher than $15) and send them another check. What a pain in my already sore bottom.
I was on the phone waiting to talk to the billing department for over 40 minutes although they kept ensuring me that I was next in line. UGH!!!

Kay
My hubby just got home with the mail and I just got a copy for what they billed my insurance for... $19,897.59. They said this was for the surgery and if I incurred any other charges that bill would come later. Wow!!! Kay you said yours was only 9,000 something. What a difference...
Unread 02-01-2008, 04:08 PM

$19,897.59 for what? The surgery must have been the bulk of what you were charged for. I don't mean to harp but when the Dr. pulled the packing out, did he say anything, did he have any emotion? I hope your family really raises cain over this. I know mistakes are made but this just seems like more human indifference than human error. I hope and pray that you feel better real soon. I haven't gotten my bill yet but my stay was similar to Kay's and I live in VA, so we'll see what my charge is compared to you all.
Unread 02-01-2008, 04:50 PM

This does not include the doctor's charges which will be separate. I expect to get at least two additional bills--- one for the surgeon and one for the anethesiologist (sp). I expect each of them to be high. The surgeons regular office visits are so outrageous in my opinion but I have good insurance. I have no idea how people can pay those high charges without insurance. I believe these charges for the hospital are in line with the hospital charges I had for my gall bladder surgery about 5 years ago as an outpatient at the same hospital. I was not kept overnight with that procedure.

Kay
Unread 02-01-2008, 05:04 PM

Actually, $9200 and $19,000 seem like bargains. I had an outpatient laparoscopy gynecologic surgery last year (not the TVH!) and the surgery center billed $45,000. That was for a 4-hour timeframe. I about died when that bill came, picturing having to sell my house to pay that one off if insurance didn't cover it. That was just for the surgery center, as you said the surgeon, anesthesiologist, pathologist, and hospital labs were on top of that! I'm scared to even think what this one might cost given that it took place in the hospital and I had to stay 2 nights! Thank goodness the surgeon, anesthesiologist, and pathologist have all been paid for the TVH!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register