Passing out before passing gas | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Passing out before passing gas Passing out before passing gas

Unread 01-31-2008, 09:40 PM
Passing out before passing gas

I had my surgery on Monday and now for 3 days can't pass gas.
Many times I felt like the 'bubble' is coming out but then it was 'sucked' right in. I am in great discomfort.
Anyone? any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-31-2008, 10:30 PM

HI,
I understand I had some problems in that area too. I drank prune juice and grape juice and that worked wonders. Good luck
Unread 01-31-2008, 10:49 PM

I took MOM and when it kicked in. Everything kicked if you know what I mean.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-31-2008, 10:59 PM

What is MOM??
Unread 01-31-2008, 11:11 PM

Phillips Milk of Magnesia I may have spelled that incorrectly.
Unread 01-31-2008, 11:15 PM

MOM is suppose to help BM but I had about two days of Gas X and stool softners and could not get rid of the gas. It was terrible. MOM got everything going.
Unread 01-31-2008, 11:31 PM

I had gas bad, thought I was gonna die it was so bad and I tried everything. It got so bad that I called the doctor. He told me to have my husband make me some hot tea and drink that while sitting on the pot and just sit there for a long while to try and get some of it to pass. I did that for like two days and the worst of it passed. I'm not sure what the hot tea was for other than maybe keeping me occupied. I only drank it a few times and said forget and just sat on the pot. I got really bad cramps with mine so I wasn't too concerned about tea. I also took a pillow with me to the bathroom to clinch when the pain from the gas started. My doctor told me that it comes out easier if you are sitting on the pot instead of laying on the couch.
Unread 02-01-2008, 07:33 AM

I can say that I took Miralax, ate healthy, took GasX and none of it worked. I think it was not until day 6 that things really started letting lose...haha The one thing that I can say is that it always seemed more productive while I was walking.
Unread 02-01-2008, 11:37 AM

hdavkaa, Issues with gas and pain are definately common in the post-op period. Having said that if you are really passing absolutely no gas and in greatly increasing discomfort it could be a sign of a serious problem. Have you ever passed gas since surgery?? If not it could be a sign of an illeus- which is paralized intestine post surgery. Given that it is Friday prehaps you should call the doctor and report your symptoms before they close for the weekend? Did anyone listen to you tummy after surgery and tell you if you had "bowel sounds"? It is how we tell the intestines are waking up.

Good luck and hope it really is nothing but the "normal"!! Never knew gas could hurt so much!!
Unread 02-01-2008, 01:36 PM

Thank you all for the feedback. I did pass gas VERY LITTLE ... most of it is still captured in. Last night I took stool softener 500mg and 6 senna-lax pills !!
So far 12:30pm, it looks like my body didn't read the instructions on the bottle.
I am not so thrilled to take the Milk of Mag. I associate it to the time (not so long ago) when I drank it every day while going through chemo and have the same problem. The good thing about this whole experience is that my spirit is totally up, and I actually enjoy the time home. I have soooo much to do (and still comply with instructions). Humor about it helps and also your feedback. I am going to try the hot tea idea shortly - it looks safe and fun??!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register