Laparoscopic hysterectomy: TLH ~ slow recovery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Laparoscopic hysterectomy: TLH ~ slow recovery? Laparoscopic hysterectomy: TLH ~ slow recovery?

Unread 02-01-2008, 07:26 AM
Laparoscopic hysterectomy: TLH ~ slow recovery?

I am from Centerville, Ga. and had a TLH with bilateral salpingo ovariectomy on January 8, 2008. Recovery goes well when I don't overdo it, but slower than I ever imagined! Does anyone else feel the same way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-01-2008, 12:02 PM

I had a LAVH on Jan 7th and I too feel like it is taking me forever to heal. I also had a bladder sling and removal of vaginal wall cyst the size of a golf ball. I had to wear catherter for 5 days. I think that has slowed my healing somewhat. My boobs have been sore for the last couple of days too.
Everyone keeps telling me that I will feel like a million bucks when I heal, right now I'd like to feel like a hundred bucks. Goodluck with your healing!!!
Unread 02-01-2008, 01:21 PM

I had LAVA on Monday (28) and to my surprise, I feel great!! Some pain here and there but overall, I fee that I can do anything. I am afraid that I will overdo it so I stay in bed in between going up and down the stairs to take or bring something. I was well prepared to feeling soooo tired and sleepy and it didn't happen. I overcame the whole deal of cancer (breast) just 3 years ago and had the same experience.
I think that what helped me then and now is that I was well prepared. I decided to make things to look forward to rather than fear. So, I bought a new laptop that I will be able to be connected to the outside wold from bed. New PJ that was 'waiting' for me when I came back from the hospital, books, DVDs, Soduko, food (try to stay healthy) that I liked so I can go down and have a little snack..... also projects that I wanted to do and didn't have the time to do for a long time (rearrange my make up, jewelry - beads etc...) I even had time to draw yesterday, and start 3 new knitting projects.... each little 'goal' that I achieve, makes me feel better!! It is not too late to make a list of all ALL things that you want to do... choose them carefully (you saw that I didn't put the gardening and laundry, moving or painting book case etc...). My problem was the opposite, finding time to rest during the day doing NOTHING.
by the way it is also a good time to start on your taxes (one step at a time).
If you need help with how to go about it - let me know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-01-2008, 10:07 PM

Even if you had a laproscopic or vaginal procedure, you still had major surgery... the only real difference is you don't have an external incision to remind yourself that you had surgery.

You still have all the internal stitches just like those who had abdominal procedures had, and you still had organs removed from your body. So you still went through a physical trauma.

Generally, it takes between six months and a year for the body to fully recover from any major surgical procedure -- and a hysterectomy qualifies as major for sure! The initial healing period may be a little shorter because you don't have an incision to worry about, but nothing is different on the inside. Does that make any sense?

So, (((sisters))) -- you're still very, very early in recovery. and give yourself a chance to heal right the first time. It does get better, but it still takes time, even if you don't have abdominal surgery.

to all and I wish you continued good healing.
Unread 02-02-2008, 09:24 AM

Ladies,

Thank all of you for your replies! I guess I'm used to going and doing constantly...this is a real change for me! I think because I have such minor incisions, the healing process should be nothing more than immediate, but I'm realizing (thanks to this website and my Internist) that's not the case at all.

I know when I get back to the normal routine, I'll be wishing for more quiet time, so guess I'd better sit back and enjoy it!
Unread 02-02-2008, 11:38 AM

Right on!!!
That is the case with me.
I made a list of all the enjoyable things that I wanted to do before going in. I am only 5 days later and feeling like I will not have enough time to do it all!!
I am too energetic to start with - so I am working really hard to sleep late and take a nap or two during the day (Benadryl did it for me).
It was (is) a big deal for me to 'let it go' and sit back especially work wise. But...
life is short and I will be better off enjoying things now.
It helps with the pain too. Once you do things that you like - the less you feel the pain and the whole trauma (just make sure that you do the things on the TO DO list ).
Unread 02-16-2008, 10:19 AM

Hi, I live in Warner Robins! I just had a Lap on V-day(14th) to remove left ovary and tube.I am still very sore,and feel yucky! My doc says I would feel like going back to work on Mon.,I don't think so!! Well just wanted to say hi neighbor!
Unread 02-16-2008, 11:51 AM

Snackcake,

I just saw your post. Did you have a TLH? I would think that going back to work on Monday is pushing it. My doctor said something very close to the same thing...do we have the same doctor???

I'm close to 100% now! I'll be 6 weeks post-op this Tuesday. I resigned my job yesterday, so returning to work is not an issue at the moment, but I'm still headed to school in Albany one day a week.

Hope to hear from you again!
Unread 02-16-2008, 03:36 PM

Hey,I had a Hysterctomy in '04,but left my left ovary & tube because I didn't want to go on hormone replacement. But the remaining ovary developed a cyst and was attaching itself to my insides.Plus I had a lot of adhesions that were causing problems. I just moved up here in July,from Albany ( small world!) so I just started going to this dr in Jan.,I am going to call his office on Mon. to find out when I can go back to work,because he said on my last visit about the whole Mon. thing,and I really don't think I can do that!Well, thanks for the reply,keep in touch!
Unread 02-16-2008, 04:05 PM

I had a TLH/BSO in September and it was literally at about 6 weeks I felt like I turned a corner and all was so much better. I think the getting tired when you over-do will stick around for quite some time, but as far as being 'back to normal' you should probably expect at least 6 weeks. Back to work at that point would have been pushing the envelope for me....fortunately, that wasn't an issue.

Best wishes!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register