Antibiotics / Yeast Infection | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Antibiotics / Yeast Infection Antibiotics / Yeast Infection

Unread 02-01-2008, 10:48 AM
Antibiotics / Yeast Infection

AT post-op the other day my doctor wanted to err on the side of caution as I may be harbouring an internal infection. I had an "odour" that she did not like and said not normal. I had lost a lot of blood during surgery and they gave me some strong antiobiotics in hospital which depleted my good bacteria and the two together have probably depleted my body's ability to fight baceria. I haven't had many symptoms of infection but I too had been smelling this "odour" and have been washing with warm water a few times a day. I thought the odour was normal.

I am on Day 2 of meds and already feeling itchy. I had a TAH on Jan 7th. I am eating lots of good quality yogurt but what am I alllowed to do to treat the yeast infection?

I used to insert a boric acid capsule which would neutralize the alkaline and this was much better than the Monistat.

Has any one had to treat a yeast infection during this healing time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-01-2008, 11:36 AM

I would call your doctor's office and see what they recommend. Better to be sure than sorry! Hope you feel better soon. Nothing like adding insult to injury with the infection and then another infection due to taking meds to fight the first infection!

Hugs!!
Unread 02-01-2008, 12:36 PM

Please call your DR's office and ask them to check it out rather than self-medicating. Other conditions, including vaginal dryness, can feel exactly like the beginnings of a yeast infection, and treating yourself for the wrong thing can do more harm than good.

The DR may want to do a swab to check for yeasts. If it is a yeast infection, most DRs will prescribe Diflucan, an oral medication, during the six week "nothing in the vagina" period. It works quite well and fairly quickly.

Let us know what your DR says, OK?
s,
-Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-01-2008, 04:47 PM

Hi
I too had been on iv antibiotics and oral antibiotics for a month to treat an infection caused by a ruptured ovarian cyst. I had horrible problems with nausea and diarrhea from being on the antibiotics for so long. I did not develop a vaginal yeast infection, but had thrush on my tongue and in my throat. I did not really get better with an oral swish and swallow but once I started on the Diflucan(Only needed to take it 5 days) I got better very quickly...could notice a change after the first day of treatment. Needed to connect with the doc first though.
I also used a Probiotic to help reinstate the natural gi bacteria....over the counter, at doc's suggestion.
I was on so many different things I needed to write out a schedule so that I could remember what I had taken. Good luck.
Unread 02-01-2008, 06:31 PM

I got thrush from the antibiotics for vaginal cuff cellulitis, that is so nasty- I tried all the natural stuff but diflucan is what fixes it for me every time- all i have to do is call in and say I've got--- and she calls it in for me. I had to take 3 diflucan to get rid of the thrush- but one should take care of your stuff!
Unread 02-01-2008, 06:42 PM

definitely call your dr and tell her your symptoms...she might want to see you or call you in diflucan. just dont insert anything into your vagina so soon after surgery.
you can also take acidophillus capsules by mouth after its cleared up...i havent had a yeast infection since i started taking them.
Unread 02-01-2008, 06:47 PM

I got yeast from antibiotics for vaginal cuff cellulitis also. The difulucan worked wonders for me too!

Good Luck!

Starbgirl
Unread 02-01-2008, 07:31 PM
pro-biotics :)

I started a strong pro-biotic capsule before surgery and continue to take it - I think all the enema stuff before surgery washes the healthy flora out of our intestines too and that has to be replaced. It has not only kept yeast away, but I think has helped me continue to have regular, easy bowel movements since surgery. Feel better soon!
Unread 02-01-2008, 11:47 PM

I have had 2 UTI's since my surgery on the 2nd and every time I just ask for Diflucan (The 1 pill dose) since in the past I get a yeast infection if I am on antibiotics. He just says "Ok" I rather ask before instead of waiting till I have one to ask for it.

Much easier popping one pill and be done with it hopefully.
Unread 02-03-2008, 03:01 AM

Ito have had thrush 1 wk post op and have it again at 3wks post op i have been using canasten thrush cream externally to sooth it and was given diflucan tablet if that didnt work but i havnt needed the diflucan at the moment the cream seemed to work last time i dont no about this time i will see in the next couple of days.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register