Laparoscopic hysterectomy: LSH 1/11/08 - My Hystory | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Our Hysterectomy Stories > Laparoscopic Hysterectomy Stories

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Laparoscopic hysterectomy: LSH 1/11/08 - My Hystory Laparoscopic hysterectomy: LSH 1/11/08 - My Hystory

Unread 02-01-2008, 10:07 PM
Laparoscopic hysterectomy: LSH 1/11/08 - My Hystory

My story pretty much started after my tubaligation 10 years ago (1998). I was told post-op by the nurse that I should get a heating pad because my periods would become hellacious following this procedure. I did not take that to heart at the time because my doctor never made a mention of it. And I also never questioned it.

But yes, my periods did progressively get worse. By 2001, the pain and bleeding got much worse. I would have flooding episodes that were quite embarassing and terrified my children. I recall my DD at age 6 thinking that her mother was dying because there was so much blood. So she got the birds and bees for 6 year olds at that point so she would stop crying.

Fast forward onto 2005, I had severe anemia, lots of bleeding with clots and lots of pain. My doctor recommended ablation. We did it and it did help with lots of the bleeding and the pain was minimal for about a year. At this time, I was made aware that if I continued to have issues, that hysterectomy was the next step.

Onto 2007, the pain became unbearable. We began to discuss hysterectomy again in October. I was terrified and put it off for one reason or another. Two months later, enough was enough. We set the date. January 11th.

The months leading up were not too bad. I stayed busy with the holidays and my son who just joined the Army around this time. After the holidays came and went, I was in panic mode. You might have seen some of my frantic posts here.

January 8, pre-op appointment time. Thanks to Hystersisters, I knew just what to ask.

January 10, bowel prep...This was awful for me. I could not eat after midnight on January 9 and was on all liquids on the 10th along with Magnesium Citrate. I did lose 5 pounds that day though! haha

January 11, my surgery was scheduled for 7 am. I am not a morning person so this was best for me. I was not fully awake when I went in so the nerves were not so bad at 5 am. haha

My procedure was done with no complications by 8 am. I woke up in recovery and was pretty alert by 9 am. My insurance required me to stay overnight but it took forever for the hospital to get me a room.

By the time I got a room, it was 11:30 am. But I got a private room at no extra cost. The room was huge and allowed me lots of space to take small walks.

My hospital stay was nice enough but I was sure ready to get home. I was discharged by 11 am the following morning and home by 11:30 am.

I was terrified of lying on my back, it hurt so bad to get upright afterwards. So I spent most of the first 2 weeks in a recliner. It was easier to stay mobile this way.

Week One Post-Op:
I stayed on a regular schedule of ibuprofen and lortab to control pain. I still experienced some pain. Especially in my left incision. It was larger and that is where they did most of the work, so it makes sense that it was more sore.
I rested a lot. I allowed my family to take care of me and did not overdo it.
Took Miralax to get ahead of constipation and walked a lot to combat gas.

Week Two Post-Op:
I was pretty much on pain meds as needed. Most of the time no more than 2 times a day. Pain is getting better.
Less rest needed but I did take it easy. Cabin fever setting in so I am looking to get back to work. January 28, I was back at work for half-days.
Had 2 week post-op appointment. Cleared for everything but sex (which will come at 4 weeks). I told my doctor that I would like to place my own restrictions. No lifting for at least 6 weeks and half-days until week 4. He obliged.

Week Three Post-Op:
Today is officially week 3. I feel great. Minimal pain and discomfort. I tire VERY easily but overall feel pretty darn good all things considered.

Hystersisters is a true blessing. I owe he founders of this site and all the wonderful women who post on this site a big thank you. Without all the information that I found here, I feel that I may have chickened out and would still be miserable.

You may have heard it before but I will say it again. Waiting is the hardest part.

And last but certainly not least...I have had the most supportive DH during this and I am so grateful.

My full story and every emotion that I have experienced through all of this would most certainly crash this site haha so I kept it at a minimum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register