Questions about recovery time line | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Questions about recovery time line Questions about recovery time line

Unread 02-02-2008, 01:13 PM
Questions about recovery time line

Hi,
I've never had surgery before so all of this is new to me. I'm used to dealing with pain and soldiering on so I'm having a hard time not pushing myself, (I have rheumatoid arthritis.)
So questions: How long before you can grocery shop again? How long before you can drive again? How long before you stop feeling like poo?
Is there a spell check on here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-02-2008, 01:32 PM

On the main page there is a hysterectomy checkpoint, you might want to read over them. What kind of surgery did you have.....I know we all heal differently but at least using the checkpoint will give you some idea on the time line.I could drive at 2 weeks, as long as I was taking any prescription pain meds.I hope you get to feeling better soon and God bless you.

Faith
TAH on dec.5th due to fibroids,enlarged uterus,heavy bleeding,and severe anemia
Unread 02-02-2008, 03:09 PM

Thanks Faith! I'm finding more information and begining to absorb some of it. I over did it today and need to take a nap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-02-2008, 06:39 PM

Be sure and check out the hysterectomy checkpoints: https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/mycheckpoint.php .

First and foremost, follow your doc's post-op instructions. I was allowed to drive once the narcotic drugs were completely out of my system and I felt I could apply the brakes in an emergency situation. I probably could have done this at 2 weeks or so, but opted to wait until 3 weeks. I drive a stick and was a little apprehensive about using the clutch, etc.

As far as grocery shopping, I think I went out somewhere around the 2 week mark - but only for a short shopping trip, not a major one. Also, I had my daughter there to push the cart and load/unload the groceries.

Each day will get a little better, and it's also very normal to have some setbacks. Often we find ourselves feeling great and we overdo a bit, then end up spending a day in bed resting to make up for it. The most important thing is that you listen to your body. Remember, we only have one opportunity to heal right, so take good care of yourself.

Unread 02-02-2008, 07:17 PM

Thanks Ann, that was very helpful.
My problem with listening to my body is that it has to scream to get my attention, but I'm getting a much better idea of what I should expect thanks to this forum! I've made hubby a good list for the store tomorrow and between DH and DD#1's friends, we have driving covered for a while. I thought I would be in much better shape by now. I realize now that I had totally unrealistic expectation!
Unread 02-02-2008, 08:07 PM

Hang in there. Patience isn't my strong suit -- and I'm used to being up and taking care of everything and everyone. But, once in awhile, we owe it to ourselves to sit back and be taken care of. It pays off in the end.
Unread 02-02-2008, 10:53 PM

Besides the hysterectomy check points, I also found an article in the post-op section of this site that had a list of ALLOWED/ NOT ALLOWED activities post-hyst. I printed it, highlighted it and posted it over my desk where I would see it as would my DH and all my kids. It was a very helpful reminder to myself to be a lot more careful than I would have been otherwise.

Not sure what type of surgery you had. With mine, my doctor said driving was ok at 2 weeks (assuming of course that you aren't on pain meds). I found I still preferred to have someone else drive even for a couple weeks after that time although I did drive when necessary.

As was said above, listening to your body is probably the best way to go. The hard part is really paying attention to what your body says and not letting your mind over-ride it. At least that was the hardest part for me.

Good luck. Just keep reminding yourself to be a princess for several more weeks!

44y/o
SAH/LSO for benign ovarian tumors and abnormal bleeding.
Unread 02-03-2008, 06:53 AM

Thanks YogaPT,
I've found the checkpoints page and the ALLOWED/NOT ALLOWED PAGE, thanks!
When I looked at the list of acronyms I didn't see one for my surgery. I think I'll add it to my sig. It was a vaginal hysterectomy where they left the cervix, and a rather extensive rectocele. They left the option open for a cystocele, but once they moved everything that was piled on top of my bladder, it went back into place on its own. I'm astounded at my bladder capacity now, LOL.
Unread 02-03-2008, 07:29 AM

Hi Wendy
Good job on your signature. That will help a lot so others can see if they had the same surgery. I think the acronym you're looking for is the LSH. Laproscopic subtotal(leaving the cervix) hysterectomy- those are always vaginal. If you had had your ovaries removed you would add BSO. Does that sound right?

You have an advantage retaining your cervix because you don't have a vaginal cuff to heal, but you still have a lot of internal stitches, especially with the rectocele. I had one of those too and they take as long to heal as the hyst itself. Everyone is different. I didn't try the grocery store until my fourth week and it completely wiped me out. I was also recovering from some pretty severe anemia so that contributed to the tiredness in my situation. I used to have friends pick up small amounts of groceries when they would do their shopping and that got us by for quite a while. When I did start doing more shopping I did it when I knew I would have help at home to get them inside. I would pull up and go lay down while my family put everything away.

Take it easy, you're very early post op. Keep us posted on your progress.
's, Rita
Unread 02-03-2008, 07:45 AM

Thanks Rita!
I didn't use that acronym because there was no laporsocopy involved :-) It amazes me that the surgeon can do so much through such a small opening!
Unfortunately I'll probably have to grocery shop on my own before the end of the month because hubby will be leaving for a few days from the 18th to the 22nd. He canceled two trips for my surgery and recovery so he really can't cancel another. I'm also going on a plane trip on the 26th, but it is to visit my brother for a few days so I won't need to do much and my daughter can handle the suitcase etc.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register