Avastin | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-03-2008, 06:19 AM
Avastin

Hello All.. I admittidly haven't posted here in quite sometime. I hope you all don't mind me popping back in to ask some questions. I completed 7 months of a clinical trial for MPSC (Micropapillary serous carcinoma - ovarian cancer) and had no luck. My cancer has progressed. I met with many surgeons and even a radiation oncologist but after listening to them bicker about things for almost three months, it was decided that radiation was too extreme at this point. Without my tumors being smaller though, surgery is not an option. Of course my cancer continued on it's war path those three months and now I'm left sitting here with more cancer than ever. I am told conventional chemo won't work on my type of cancer cell and I'm not left with many options. I decided to begin Avastin and a low dose daily pill of cyclophosphamide. I've only had one treatment and will try to do 3 more, then have a CT scan. Unfortunately, none of this is covered and will cost almost $24,000.00 out of pocket. My question is, has anyone here tried Avastin or even this combo of drugs before? Did you have any luck with it? Did you have to deal with any of the awful side efffects? I feel ok right now, just tired, but that's probably more from the lack of sleep I've had, worrying about where the money's going to come from to pay for all of this! Thanks for any info you can pass along...
Becky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-03-2008, 07:11 AM
Avastin

Hi Becky,
Good to see you again. I'm sorry you are seeing your disease progress
And to have to pay for this out of pocket is absurd! I'm sorry you now have THAT worry on top of everything else.

Here's a link from Mayo about Cyclophosphamide:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dru...ation/DR600509

I hope this is a good combo for you! Wishing you good health and strength,
xoxo
Unread 02-03-2008, 04:05 PM
Avastin

I just recently read that Avastin manufacturers have a program to help pay for this drug. I will try to refind it, but begin googling for Avastin info and see if it comes up.

Ihope these drugs in combo will work for you and shrink those tumors. Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-03-2008, 04:13 PM
Avastin

Hi Tybear,
I'm back. Try this:

http://mail.google.com/mail/#inbox/117abed1e254c933

This may get you started. The firm is genentech.
good luck
Unread 02-04-2008, 06:42 PM
Avastin

Hi, Becky,
I just had my 6th treatment of Avastin today. I am taking it every 3 weeks and Temodar oral capsules every 4 weeks. This combo has held back the cancer in my liver and there have been no new lesions in my abdomen or pelvis since starting this combo in early October 07. The first Avastin treatment was the hardest in terms of feeling tired but it has gotten better each treatment. My BP started going up and was put on BP meds last month. But no other bad side effects from Avastin. I am not familiar with cyclo. My gyn/onc says he has seen good results with his OVCA patients with Avastin with very little problems.

After much discussion with my MD, my insurance is paying it's share of the cost. Go onto the Avastin.com site and there is a section there discussing Reimbursement. I know there is a program in the US for those that cannot pay but don't know about Canada. I hope the manufacturer can give you help!
Unread 02-06-2008, 09:21 PM
Avastin

dear tybear...just wondering if you've had any luck getting some kind of reimbursement for the avastin? wishing you luck that it diminishes your tumours. i would like to add that i greatly admire your attitude thru all that you've been thru...you are an amazing young woman and mom (and your little guy is adorable)!

best wishes to you and your family.
colleen.
Unread 02-07-2008, 06:27 PM
Avastin

Hi Tybear,

I can address your questions about Avastin as I have had two courses of it and am still on it. And really credit it with keeping me well. To clarify I am not in remission and have never been since my initial diagnosis and surgery 10/06 for serous papillary adenocarcenoma stage 3-C. I have always had high CA-125s (9200 prior to surgery and the lowest I've ever been is 145). My latest CT shows numerous tumors but they have mostly decreased in size with the Avastin.

I went to Sloan-Kettering for a second opinion this past August and the physician I saw was clear that for me it will be about limiting the toxicity of treatment as I will likely need to be treated in one way or another for the rest of my life. So I think what has worked best for me is to look at this as a chronic disease and not stop living. And Avastin has really been helpful. Have you pushed your insurance company about reimbursment? Aetna will cover it for ovarian cancer so you have a case to make and Genentech has a good access to care foundation if you are unable to pay for it.

I need to go to my writing class right now but please keep in touch and let me know how it goes.

rweber7297

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register