Upset about final pathology report | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upset about final pathology report Upset about final pathology report

Unread 02-03-2008, 10:33 AM
Upset about final pathology report

I had my TAH/BSO on Dec 6th due to complex endometrial hyperplasia with atypia which I am now 8+ weeks and feeling great. 2 years ago, I had my first abnormal pap and also found out I was HPV+. I had a colposcopy and 2 biopsies which came back as mild inflammation but NO dysplasia. I then had paps done every 3 months for a year with every other one being normal. My 4th pap came back as mildly abnormal again. I had another colposcopy a year later, which my Gyn said my cervix looked very good except for 1 small area, which he biopsied. It, again, came back as NO dysplasia. He said just have another pap in 6 months. Well, I ended up with the TAH/BSO because of the hyperplasia, but when I got the final path report (I know the office manager at my gyn office, so it was not a problem getting), I noticed that under the uterine cervix it said Focal High grade squamous intraepithelial lesions (Moderate to severe dysplasia, CINII/CINIII) suggestive of HPV infection. When I read this I was sick, how could I go from no dysplasia to mod/severe in 3 months????
I have not seen my gyn since I got this report, but I know what his answer would be, that different pathologists interpret things differently. I was also upset that he (my gyn) didn't say anything about it to me at my 6 week check-up. I know its all over with now, but this has stressed me out more than the hysterectomy did. Thanks for letting me get this off my chest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-03-2008, 12:55 PM

I'm not quite sure what all that means but have you thought of taking the report to an oncono/gyn? A second opinion never hurt anything except maybe your pocketbook!!!!! but well worth the peace of mind. Especially since your doctor didn't seem to be so forth comming with you.
Unread 02-03-2008, 01:09 PM

hi, pam. i'm sorry you're feeling so upset about the path report. the pap is only a screening test and false negatives do occur. only a biopsy or pathology report and make true diagnosis. i would definitely talk with your doctor, because what he should have done (in my opinion), is to share all of the pathology results with you, including the cervical dysplasia. fortunately, it's now been removed, but please remember that the virus is always with you, and medical science has not yet determined what makes the hpv active or dormant. that means you'll need to be vigilant with your paps even post hysterectomy to be sure you don't develop vaginal dysplasia - it's unusual, but not rare. i hope you continue to heal and recover well. take specially good care of yourself!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-04-2008, 09:24 PM

The pap smear and even a biopsy can only tell what's going on in the spot that was tested. Could be that what was found was not reachable by what was used for the test(s).

Trust me, I know. I was diagnosed with just endometrial hyperplasia--they found the rest of the list (along with ovarian cysts) when they took out the bunch!
Unread 02-05-2008, 04:11 PM

Thanks for your thoughts, and you are probably right about the biopsy and pap. I, too had a long list of things be sides the dysplasia that just blew my mind. My Complex hyperplasia with atypia that was diagnosed via a D&C (reason for my hysterectony) actually turned out to be Stage I endometrial cancer. I also had some small fibroids and a follecular ovary, and a cyst in a fallopian tube. What a mess! I know how you feel. My gyn has always been great as far as showing me my biopsy results on everything. I guess maybe he just felt it wasn't worth the stress to tell me about all of this stuff now that it was all gone. I think I will still mention something to him when I go back for my 6 month check-up. And, yes, I guess I will have to continue the yearly paps due to the dysplasia (Yuk!!!).

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register