Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008 - Page 102 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008 Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008

Unread 03-13-2008, 11:20 AM
Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008

Good morning, ladies...(Happy B-day, Alayne)...

I so enjoy reading so many positive and supportive posts. So, I'm confident I'll find some solace here when I say last night was rather fitful. There was no pain, I thought I was sleeping soundly, but I woke up at 2:00am for about an hour.

Since I'm allowed to go to the office for up to 2 hours a day, I was going to go into early this morning (to find a close parking space - we describe our campus parking stickers "a permit to hunt, not a license to park"). Again, unfortunately, I missed the boat totally on that one as I slept until 9:00am! UGH! So, no working in the office today. (Hope the boss enjoys the emails I sent at 2:30am!)

So, my question for you is whether or not you experience more fatigue in the mornings than prior to our special events and/or if Daylight Savings Time has anything to do with it (I honestly think even just that has totally thrown my system off). Your thoughts?

Julia
~~~~~
47yo moving forward
02/05/08: TAH BSO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2008, 11:39 AM

Well ladies I am off on an overnight road trip to the beach with two girl friends to celebrate ones birthday. Can't wait !! Last bit of fun for awhile, I start work on monday and my replacement quit a week ago, UGGGG.

I have had the worsed case of swelly belly yet, not really doing anything different. Hope I can stay in my jeans today, if not the stretchy pants come out.

Anyone else out there get the shakes out of the blue. It is even hard to type right now. Other than that I think that things have turned a good corner for me right now and I am going to think that way even if it changes.

I know that everyone will have some part of today that is good even if it is small. Remember that good part during the crappy and it should help us through the rough patches.

Kelly
Unread 03-13-2008, 12:10 PM

BMs - I have tried to ignore this problem and only whined about it once but now I NEED to know am I alone? If I dont take a laxative then I dont go. I dont want to go into gory details but is this just me or am I doing something wrong? I am eating fruit, drinking lots of pure juice but still nothing. Any advice or even knowing that I am not alone would help.

big hugs
Ally
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-13-2008, 12:13 PM

Happy EARLY Birthday Paula
Happy Birthday to you
I pray that your birthday turn out right
I bid this greeting to you!
(If you're not in pain), dance like there
is no tomorrow. It's alright to eat cake
Enjoy the NEWNESS of your life.
I'm not a drinker, but they say
that like fine wine, the older we
get the better!
Unread 03-13-2008, 12:27 PM

Good Afternoon, I am new to this posting on this site. I had a TAH with some bladder repair I am guessing that BSO is short for something involving the bladder. Jax I would like more information on your symtoms because I think they might be similar to mines. I have a great deal of pain when I urinate and I have stabbing pains and burning in my ab area. My incision is numb in most spots and very sore on the right side. I called my doctor at 2 weeks and was given Levaquin. I took that and the pain remained. Last week I left a urine sample for my doctor and was told that I an infection ( enterococcus ) and placed on Macrobid. I take my last pill tomorrow and the pain is still ongoing. I am still taking pain meds everyday,mostly in the evening so that I can get a few hours of good sleep.

I have not slept through the night since having surgery 2-6-08. I have had a few days where the only pain I have is right after urinating and that pain is bad enough to bring tears to my eyes. I also have pain in my lower back that the doctor has given muscle relaxers for.

I feel like an addict as I am 5 wks post op and still taking pain meds. When I called last week for a refill they only gave me 20 pills. I have an appointment on Tuesday which will be week 6. I am hoping that he will not tell me that I am released to go back to work because I am still in so much pain most days that I either sleep or take up space on the couch. I only walk a short distance during the day and I try to drink as less as possible so that I don't have to urinate every 20-30 mins.

I have been reading about the progress of others and I feel like I must really be a slow healer. I wish I could walk a mile or resume my regular duties. I think I am a little depressed.
Unread 03-13-2008, 12:27 PM

Ally,

I have had problems with BM's for years. Before I had large tumors in my uterus I had IBS-D which is where you cant stop going and everything goes right through you. When one of my tumors got to be the size of a fist and sat on the bowel side of my uterus it caused constipation. When they removed my uterus I was so worried it would go back to the going all the time but that has only happened 2 times. In order to keep things regular I swear by Crackling Oat Bran cereal. I eat a bowl every morning and I have been regular for weeks now. I have also cut out about 3/4 of the red meat I ate before surgery. This was hard for me because I loooove steak and burgers! But for now it is all working and I want it to stay that way. I have heard also that activia yogurt helps. I can't eat yogurt due to lactose intollerance and unfortunately milk is about the only thing you can find with out the lactose so I cant say if the activia works... But it is worth a shot and it is good for you.

I dont think you are alone though as I have seen many posts refer to the same thing you are experiencing. I will say this though and not to give TMI.. When I feel the urge I go right then I never ever try and hold it. Also some juices can actually cause constipation from what I have read, it is better to just drink a lot of water.

I hope this was helpful.

Cindy
Unread 03-13-2008, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demples
Good Afternoon, I am new to this posting on this site. I had a TAH with some bladder repair I am guessing that BSO is short for something involving the bladder. Jax I would like more information on your symtoms because I think they might be similar to mines. I have a great deal of pain when I urinate and I have stabbing pains and burning in my ab area. My incision is numb in most spots and very sore on the right side. I called my doctor at 2 weeks and was given Levaquin. I took that and the pain remained. Last week I left a urine sample for my doctor and was told that I an infection ( enterococcus ) and placed on Macrobid. I take my last pill tomorrow and the pain is still ongoing. I am still taking pain meds everyday,mostly in the evening so that I can get a few hours of good sleep.

I have not slept through the night since having surgery 2-6-08. I have had a few days where the only pain I have is right after urinating and that pain is bad enough to bring tears to my eyes. I also have pain in my lower back that the doctor has given muscle relaxers for.

I feel like an addict as I am 5 wks post op and still taking pain meds. When I called last week for a refill they only gave me 20 pills. I have an appointment on Tuesday which will be week 6. I am hoping that he will not tell me that I am released to go back to work because I am still in so much pain most days that I either sleep or take up space on the couch. I only walk a short distance during the day and I try to drink as less as possible so that I don't have to urinate every 20-30 mins.

I have been reading about the progress of others and I feel like I must really be a slow healer. I wish I could walk a mile or resume my regular duties. I think I am a little depressed.
Demples, hi and welcome to our little "club". I'm sorry you're still in so much pain. Has your doctor done any further testing to see if the pain might be related to something else? If not, perhaps bring it up with him on Tuesday and see what he says.

When I was in rehab after surgery (disabled so went there first for a few days), my roommate was elderly and felt she shouldn't or couldn't drink too much because she had to urinate so often. The nurses told her that drinking less is actually working against her. When your (her) bladder was dry, it creates a lining of sorts within the bladder and that makes you feel like you have to go more and your bladder doesn't empty completely. By drinking more and more often, she didn't have to go as often and it wasn't difficult for her. It seems strange, opposite of what we think it should be, but it actually worked. If you haven't yet, cranberry juice is also a good idea.

Having your bladder repaired, something I admit I didn't have, will definitely impact how you urinate and how it feels. There's a forum on this website that deals with bladder and bowel issues and I imagine most of the women there have had some kind of bladder procedure and would know more. Sorry I don't have the link, but just do a quick search for it.

For the record, BSO means bilateral salpingoopherectomy, or removal of both ovaries and both tubes. LSO/RSO means right or left salpingo... If you go to the pre-op boards, there's a link at the top that lists all the abbreviations used on the website. I'm sure it's in other places as well, I just know it's there.

Also, while I know you're at the same stage/timing of recovery that we are and it seems logical to post here, if you post your message and concerns on the main post-op forum, there's tons more women who have been in your same situation and might be able to help. We're only a small sampling of the members here.

Roberta
Unread 03-13-2008, 01:30 PM

Two appointments today - one for my semiannual brain MRI and one for my 5 week checkup. I can safely say I've been checked top AND bottom!

A little excitement with the MRI when the power went off in the hospital in the middle of it. I just waited patiently in the little dark tube, and when the tech got me out I asked "Who kicked out the plug?" It wound up being a semi truck that hit the power lines to the hospital. The generator kicked in quickly, so I was able to finish up. I'm glad it didn't happen in the middle of my surgery!!

As for the check on my OTHER end, my doc has pronounced me fit as a fiddle and said he'll see me in a year. I asked my two questions "Can I do everything I did before the surgery" and "Am I at risk for doing any internal damage?" His answers were "Yes" to the first and "No" to the second. I told him I haven't felt this good since I was 11 years old. He asked if I would make him a sign that said that.

I had originally scheduled to return to work on March 31st, and I'm sticking to that. I made it clear to my office that I would not return any earlier, so I've resisted any thoughts of going in for a few hours. I told them I was going to follow the 'one monkey doesn't stop the show' rule'. It was a promise I made to myself before this all started, and I'm going to keep it.

Ally - I had problems with BMs, but I finally found relief in 2s: 2 stool softeners, 2 prunes, 2 fiber tablets. This may sound goofy, but I found that I'm most likely to have a BM after my second walk of the day (I sometimes have to stop in the middle of it to go). I also eat Activia daily (just 1 of those).
Unread 03-13-2008, 01:48 PM

HI Karen
Thanks so much for the advice, I will get some prunes and some fibre tabs. And the really interesting bit is that you go for 2 walks. I dont know why but this has never occurred to me DUHHHH As soon as I read that I thought "this makes sense" So from tomorrow I will be out for 2 walks. Brings a whole new meaning to double trouble lol

Thanks again xx
Unread 03-13-2008, 03:31 PM

Hello world,

Paula- We're twins !! albeit 10yrs apart. My birthday is the 14th too.

Roberta - thanks for the clarification. It really was good to hear that there was a cause for all my problems in the past. One of the symptoms was painful sex and I had started to experience pain after sex in recent years, so that really puts my mind ( and DH) at rest. I can't wait to celebrate my B'day later tonight with my DH (Woo Hoo).

Early morning here in Australia and I'm of to take the boys to school.

Alayne

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register