Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008 - Page 110 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008 Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008

Unread 03-17-2008, 12:19 PM
Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008

My 6 week check up was this morning and I am cleared for all activity :-)
I was so nervous I swear I have such a fear of anything going near my girlie parts right now. It did not hurt but was uncomfortable, probably more so because my knees were locked together and I was fighting it the whole time (the fear thing made me do it). My Doc is great but he had to mention in front of hubby that I was cleared for sex. I know hubby knows I am not ready yet though. I just don't want anyone or anything poking around where things are still healing.

I am excited to be able to bowl tomorrow night. I hope I can make it through all 3 games. The doc said just listen to my body. So that is what I will do.

The only down side to all this is that now I will no longer get the deluxe princess treatment. HA I will have to actually cook and clean myself now. Oh well all good things must end....

Hope everyone is having a great day... Where is everyone? Oh wait I know... everyone got cleared for sex this week..... HAHAHA

Cindy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2008, 12:50 PM

HI Cindy
Thats great news that you have the all clear, and I can soooo relate to the fear part. I am not even sure exactly what I am afraid of but pretty much you name it and I am frightened of it happening lol Not really but I am aprensive about getting the all clear.

So have fun bowling and tell your hubby that if you are rested from household chores you may be ready for more intimate pastimes, but if all your energy has gone on the house and the cooking there wont be anything left for . . . That might encourage him to still give you the princess treatment lol

Enjoy your day

Ally x
Unread 03-17-2008, 12:56 PM

i had my post op visit last week and was all cleared for everything (i posted a seperate post as well)
will be glad to get back to work this week.
Sex was ok, just have to be careful and not get too "carried away"
i feel great, just will be glad to get back to total normal!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindyjo
Hope everyone is having a great day... Where is everyone? Oh wait I know... everyone got cleared for sex this week..... HAHAHA

Cindy

Hi everyone,

Cindy, yah.... my dh took the day off work today so we could just have sex all day long today. It was great... JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAHA!! (oh, but wouldn't he just LOVE it and he'd gladly take a vacation day for that purpose, too. :-) ).

Anyway, I did have a good day today.

I slept great last night!! I slept through the whole night w/out waking up, so I must have changed positions in my sleep w/out my body waking up to move, FINALLY! So, I am taking that as progress.

So, I woke up feeling good 'cause I got a good night's sleep.

and, today I went and got my first massage!!! OHHHHHHHHHH..... just what I needed! SOOOO NICE. She was so good, and she worked a lot on my legs and feet, actually, to help with blood circulation. She told me my ankles and lower calves were slightly swollen, and she said that is common when you're healing somewhere in your body because that means that there is not enough blood flow going to the lower body (ankles, feet, etc.) and when there is not enough blood flow, or circulation, then your body will swell in the poor circulation area just out of a defense mechanism. I didn't know that.

So, she did a lot of shiatzu (sp????) on my legs and feet, and that really helps with blood ciruculation through the arteries.

She massaged my back, shoulders, neck and head, too. I just laid on my side for the massage, and she gave me pillows to help prop my body the way she wanted it. It was great.

She was booked the rest of this week, so I am not going again this week, but I have a massage next Monday (a week from today) and Wednesday next week, and then another on on Monday March 31. After that, I'll see how I'm feeling and schedule more if I have to.

SO, all is good.... the massage didn't take away all the soreness and muscle aches. She said it's going to take several for me to raelly feel the effect. But, she said there have been studies done that show that people out of surgery getting massage to help blood circulation through the body vs. people who do not get massage, and she said the studies show that the people who get massage out of recovery tend to heal faster.... who knows.... but that is what she said. All I know is that there has been NOTHING fast about my healing process, so maybe this will speed things up from here. I guess we'll see. Regardless, it just felt great, and that is what matters most.

So, here's another thing...

My mom is worried about me. She thinks that my appendectomy is not healing right. She told me she thinks an appendectomy should heal within 2 weeks, and she is concerned that my whole right side still hurts. She thinks since it was my gynechologist who performed the appendectomy that he didn't say much about the discomfort I'm still having on my right side because it's not his area of expertise. But, I do know gynechologists DO appendectomies a lot becuase it's common to do with a hysterectomy (if needed).

My gynechologist did say if in a month I still do have discomfort on my right side to come back to see him.

But, my mom is concerned that since I had acute appendecitis (acute means severe), AND nobody knew this until the pathology report... the doctor and myself thought my appendix was only inflammed going into my surgery.... so my mom is worried that since it was actually severely infected inside that maybe some of the infection stayed in me, or maybe a very very tiny piece of the appendix was left inside of me.

But, i told my mom that I feel like I'm getting better as time goes on. But, she just doesn't think my right side should be hurting still.

but, then i see on this site that women who didn't have an appendectomy say their right side hurts.

So, my mom wants me to make an appointment with my internist just to talk to her to see if she thinks I'm healing correctly. But, I JUST saw my gyn on Friday and he didn't seem to be concerned. I just don't want to start a big battery of tests if it's not necessary. I am guessing if I went to my internist, she'd probably send me for some sort of scan or test.... she is extremely thorough and any time I've ever complained of anythign, she sends me for tests, or whatever... however, every time she HAS done this, she's always found a problem.

My mom does tend to worry about every tiny little thing BUT on the flip side, because she is that way, she has always caught anything wrong with her way early on. But, she also has had many times where she was worring about nothing, and teh doctor's found nothing. Like one time, she called me at 2 AM (my dad was out of town), and she was freaking out saying she had to go to the ER because her left arm was numb. She thought she had a stroke or something. So, I got dressed drove like crazy to her house, and drove her to the ER. Took her to the ER and by the time we got there, her arm was getting much better. They could not find anything wrong, but then they all came to the conclusion that she must have been sleeping on her arm wrong and it made it go numb. haha. She was kind of embarrassed.... but that is the way she is.

Anyway, so sometimes when she freaks out and tells me to go to ao doctor for things, I kind of let it go in one ear and out the other.

But, with this, I don't know what to do.

What do you guys think?? I don't have a fever, so I doubt I have an infection. I jsut wonder if thsi is just healing and normal soreness goign on, and everthing is fine.

Well, I'm off to make dinner.

Glad to her people are getting their post-op appt. done and over with... glad to hear that everyone is doing really well adn no set backs or complications! And, have fun with getting back to sex everyone!

Cindy... have fun bowling! What lb. of ball do you use? I'm right handed, and I don't think I could bowl right now because my right side is still so tender. But, I suck at bowling, soooo..... haha.

More later!
Kathy
Unread 03-17-2008, 07:49 PM

LTR---you are tooooo funny, I almost fell for it. Sex on my brain I guess.

Today was my first day back to work. Everyone was happy to see me and was glad I was back. I start work at 6am and by 8 I was starting to get drained. By 11 I was really tired and hurting. Hung in there until 1230 and then headed home. Laid down and took a 2 hr rest with some sleep. Got up and felt great. Yessss there is hope down the road and now I know that I can handle work. I am only going to work basically part time for awhile. I can work as long as I want or don't want.

LTR---as far as your right side goes a few years ago I had a fat tumor in my armpit removed. The dr. had to pull and pull and it caused a lot of pain way down my arm past the elbow and it bruised that far also. So just wrestling that thing out cause pain in the surrounding areas, even far away. So it could be that the surrounding area is severaly bruised.

I also am very pleased that everyone is doing well and advancing at their own speeds. Keep up the good work !! As LTR says, everyone have fun with getting back to sex. That seems to be about the only thing on my mind lately

Bye for now
Unread 03-17-2008, 07:49 PM

LTR - It's been said that when a parent hears hoofsteps behind them, they think it's zebras. In other words, when a child is ill, a parent tends to think it's something more exotic than it is. You're in pain, and your mom is thinking zebras. How lucky you are to have a mom looking out for you!!

I would think that most appendectomies don't involve the type of ligament and blood flow work that occurs with a hysterectomy. You got double wammied, so it's no surprise the discomfort lingers. If there was any infection or the DR had nicked a bowel, you'd be getting worse, not better.
Unread 03-17-2008, 09:17 PM

Hi all.. just a quick note before I head to bed. I had a quick 6week post op appt this morning too, all is well and Ive been cleared for everything. But theres so much i dont feel ready to do.. for sure i wouldnt bowl! Hope it went well Cindy.
After my appt, I went to work. Like you KJJ, I made it about 6 1/2 hours. I felt great this morning, in fact it was the first morning i woke really pain free, not even achy or in anyway uncomfortable. But by 1 I was feeling the achiness, by 2 i was hurting, , hung in there till 4, we were busy and i felt guilty leaving. I hit a wall though, and just had to come home. The good part is I got home, took some Tylenol, laid on the couch, and in an hour i felt better. Not great, but certainly the recovery time is better this week than say 2 weeks ago, so im pleased. Ive pretty much been laying around all night, watching TV . I feel pretty good now. So Im pleased.
Tomorrow i will stay home in the morning so i can work the afternoon. My staff all needs a break, its really slow because one of our Drs is going on vacation tomorrow, so Im giving one staff member off tomorrow and one off Thursday and one off Sat. That means i just have to work 4 hour days those day and they get the whole day off.... they need and truly deserve it.
Im glad to hear everyone is doing well... and for those of you that arent, Im still the caboose on this train! ( the oldest and slowest!) lol
Enjoy your evening all.
Unread 03-17-2008, 09:56 PM

Hi everyone,

Quick question for you all... are any of you still taking stool softeners? About a week ago, I stopped taking them, but within 2 days, I started to get stopped up, so I went back on. I am still taking them, but wondering if I'm the only one.... I haven't had a pain med (prescription kind) for almost a week now, but am taking ibuprofin and Tylenol, but I've never had problems with those constipating me.

Anyway, just since we are all at 6 weeks now, just wondering who all is still on stool softeners.

Kjjjranch and Katsme: Thanks for the words of wisdom about if I should go to my internist or not. I think you both are right. I have thought all along that the pulling around my doc had to do to get my appendix out has made everything hurt worse. Katsme, I love that expression... I actually have not heard that before! You are so right, though, about mothers. :-) I am very lucky to have a mom who still watches out for me!!

I will just keep tabs on my right side, and if it suddenly gets worse, then I'll go in but I do think I am SLOWLY getting better, and let me emphsize "slowly". :-)

Paula... glad your appt. went well, and you made it through work today. Hard to believe that we are pretty much back into our real lives now!

Speaking of your job, I go to my eye doctor on Friday. I can't wait. I was telling my husband i want to scratch my eyes out. haha. (ok, not really.... but figuratively speaking....). Today I was not on my computer much at all, and I ONLY wore my contact lenses for 3 hours, and my eyes STILL are SO irritated. Something is wrong. I have never experienced this for this long before. I hope my doctor can figure it out fast!!!! I wonder if I have some weird allergy all of a sudden. It is getting to be spring here, and they said on the news tonight that the pollen is very high. I've never had issues with pollen before, though. I wonder if this surgery just changed the chemistry in my body? Who knows.... but I just can't wait to get to the eye doctor on Friday!!

Kjjjranch... same with you... congrats on making it back to work! I would have taken a 2 hour nap after that long of a work day, too!

Tomorrow is my first real workout with my trainer, although, it will be a very light workout. I can't wait!! I hope I break a sweat and get some endorphins released in me.

Take care everyone.
kathy
Unread 03-17-2008, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves to Run
Hi everyone,

Quick question for you all... are any of you still taking stool softeners? About a week ago, I stopped taking them, but within 2 days, I started to get stopped up, so I went back on. I am still taking them, but wondering if I'm the only one.... I haven't had a pain med (prescription kind) for almost a week now, but am taking ibuprofin and Tylenol, but I've never had problems with those constipating me.

Anyway, just since we are all at 6 weeks now, just wondering who all is still on stool softeners.
Kathy, my situation is different, as I have IBS-D, which is definitely NOT fun, but stool softeners are not part of my life. In fact, 2 immodium every morning is. I was hoping that the surgery would help to resolve the IBS, I know it works for so many women, but alas, not one bit.

Perhaps a silly question for someone in Seattle, not to mention your energy level, but do you drink coffee? Coffee can be a great laxative, trust me.
Unread 03-17-2008, 10:26 PM

Roberta,

What exactly is IBS (I know it's irritable bowel syndrome), but after reading what you wrote, does it basically cause the opposite of constipation? For some reason, I always thought IBS means you get constipated. Do you get really bad gas pain as well? Sorry you have to deal with that... I know someone with that, and he says it's no fun... but I've never asked in detail WHAT happens with it.

So, did you ever have the massive gas problems and constipation problems at all in teh beginning weeks of this surgery?? Or did IBS cause you not to have those problems that all the rest of us had?

I do drink coffee, and that DOES absolutely work as a laxitive for me... the problem is that I seriously have had NO appetite for so many of the things I used to eat or drink almost daily, including coffee!! It's the weirdest thing. I have definitely had coffee since my surgery, but I only have decided to drink it IN order to use it at a laxitive... yesterday I went to Starbucks just to get out of the house, and I got my usual drink: double tall non-fat decaf latte, and I drank half of it, and I seriously did not want to drink the rest. It just didn't sound good to me. I swear that something changed inside my body after this surgery. My eyes are driving me crazy, and the foods/drinks I loved before surgery don't sound good now. What is WRONG with me??? I'm goign to force myself to drink coffee, though, because it's such a social thing here that I can't imagine NOT drinking it. I am SURE my craving for it will come back. :-)

Take care,
Kathy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register