Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008 - Page 15 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008 Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008

Unread 02-15-2008, 08:45 PM
Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008

Alayne,

It's 7:50 PM here. I'm on the west coast (pacific time).... so it's 10:50 PM on the East Coast. (It's Friday night).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-15-2008, 11:01 PM

Loves to Run

We live in the State of New South Wales six ours north west of Sydney. Weve been really lucky this time of the year with the weather. Normally it should be about 38 the degrees (not sure what that converts to in your scale), with sometimes up to 42 today it's been about 28, and before that 24 with lovely nights. Makes recovery so much easier. BTW that net stuff is called gauze here and it is VERY important stuff, keeps the flies and mosquitoes out of the house. It 5pm here, thanks for your reply I was just interested in the time diff. Have a good night.

Alayne
Unread 02-16-2008, 01:02 AM

Jen the biker chick! Cool - GS500, that's Suzuki, right? Too bad you don't live down here, and we could go RIDE!!

LovesToRun - we are talking about motorcycles, but I do ride a road bike as well. Never done any racing - just some of the long charity rides like MS150. I used to always get lower backaches riding and now I am wondering (hoping) if that will feel better since the giant uterus is gone? That would be sweet!

I think I will be back up on the motorcycle well before the bicycle, lol. That hurts just thinking about it!!

Alayne - My folks are from the Syndey area - mom grew up in Artarmon and dad in Bondi. Dad graduated from the University of New South Wales and they moved to the United States shortly after their marriage. We got to go there a few times to visit the grandparents when I was a kid, and loved it!!

Look at me... up at 3:00 in the morning. This is what happens to a night owl when we don't have to work. Pretty soon I am going to be completely reversed night and day. I guess we don't need as much sleep with such a lowered activity level??? I really really need to go for a long walk tomorrow!!!

My incisions itch like crazy tonight. I can't take off the steri-strips. Is there anything to do to relieve the itching? Is this normal?

I need to go to bed! See everyone tomorrow!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-16-2008, 01:31 AM
surgery/recovery report - my child mentioned-a lil long

hey sisters!! well, what can i say, I jsut joined this GREAT lil group of sisters and I've been in recovery-mode for 9 days, and I'm feeling pretty great.

Events leading up to my LAVH were pretty uneventful, after finding out that I had cervical cancer right before the Holidays, was harder on my husband and parents, than me.

As for surgery (wednesday 2/6), went in o'dark early after my 1 child went to school, did pre-op interview, got iv'd up, jumped on a gurney, and rolled down to the surgical holding room. Husband got to wait with me in this lil glass enclosed room. Surgical & Recovery nurses came in to say HI, Anthesthisologist and his nurse (good looking guys-those 2) came in to give me their speel. Got good advice about after surgery vomitting - Think about your favorite food before surgery (getting knocked out) and you'll be less likely to vomit. guess what - didn't work for me. Hubby was bedside wiping my forehead with a cold cloth & holding a barf bag for a still semi-conscious barfing wife.
Surgery took about 1hr longer than expected, found out I had developed another softball size fibroid on backside of uterus, and some scar tissue on bladder probably from last fibroid removal in 2006. But otherwise, all went well in OR. The waiting room was a different story - Hubby was waiting alone for 3 hrs-FRANTIC, and the hospital religious gentlemen came in. Hubby lost it, started crying, until one of the gentlemen said "does anyone need Ash Wednesday service?" Kinda cruel don'tcha think? Hubby recovered. I felt bad when he told me.

When i did come to about 9pm (surgery was at 9am), no pain to speak of, hubby had gone home, liquid food was on my tray, i was barfing alone and nurses were wanting to give me milk of magnesia. YUCK! needless to say that didn't stay down long. Most importantly, i wanted to tell my family good nite & I couldn't find my cell phone, nor could I call long distance from the room phone. so I went back on the Magic carpet ride to Sandland, til 3am, when i was wide awake after the 10th every 2 hr visit from the Nurse. still no pain, dosed back to sleep til 6am.

day after surgery Thursday 2/7- Liquid breakfast delivered at 6am, which i slurped down, since i hadn't eating anything
since lunch time Tuesday. Man, that was the best apple juice-broth-jello meal ever. dr came by, wondered where I got a bruise on my side about mid abdomen-and she drew with pen around it to monitor. She was stunned, because she said she wasn't that high during the surgery. I had nop idea, i was knocked out. When my Hubby showed up about 8am, I'd eaten, had cathider removed, peed/pooped in the potty and was ready for a walk. He was amazed. still no pain, but Boy did I have the Swelly Belly from Hell

We walked one lap through L&D and back. Nurse said Dr was in ER-Op all morn and should be in to see me in the afternoon. one of my incesions needed a better glue job, it was kinda gapping. Looked like someone sliced me with a scalpel. LOL!! So i got Durabonded as the nurse called it and was good to go. I also got a blood thinner shot in my abdomen, Nurse said it tends to bruise. I told her "oh yeah, i got one of those during Pre-Op" and we both figured out what the other bruise was from-not surgery at all. Nurse said patients usually don't get those until after surgery. So i got 2, maybe it was easier for Dr to see inside my Swelly-Belly. Then I got a real meal for lunch, we walked again. Dinner came and then the Dr came in about 6pm. asked me how I was feeling, looked at the incesions and said see ya in 2 wks.

1st nite's sleep was ok cuz i was still on hospital drugs.

day 2 in recovery- Rib area was achy, kinda like gas pain. Sporting my Swelly Belly - my 10yr old told her dad, "Momma's belly looks like yours" we all had a good laugh. Napped on daughter's Firm bed-on my stomach-felt GOOOOOOD!!
2nd nite, Took 1 Vicodin, still tossed & turned, unable to get comfortable.

day 3 swelly belly disappearing, still achy ribs all above belly button - no lower pain - 800mg Ibuprophen every 4 hrs helps - went to Walmart, got alil winded, Napped face-down on daughter's bed, BEST sleep yet - Slept on couch, did better.

day 4 swelly belly gone, achy ribs still present-hubby sweats feel great-since he bought me ones that were too small. Sweats hard to find in our lil town, all sold out. Spotting stopped, and bled like I expected I should have been all along. But nothing a pantyliner couldn't handle. Up and moving around, feels pretty good.

day 5 lower abdomen starting to ache a lil, nothing like i thought, less than period cramps. I'm really feeling good, still not doing any domestic work-hubby has been home taking care of me, and any time the bed squeaks, he jumps up and is bedside within seconds. won't even let me carry my own water glass. Hell, i can barely pee alone. Sleeping is the roughest, i am a stomach sleeper and our bed is new and isn't stomach-surgery friendly. Last vicodin, only been taking them at bedtime.

And since then, today is day 10 and its 215am, i can't sleep, but i feel good. Going back to work on Monday. Today, and a melt down when we passed the lil kids clothes in walmart. I really hadn't come to grips with my hysterectomy, since we jsut found out I had cervical cancer in Nov. I was more worried about Chemo/Radiation, which i don't have to have, because it was not invasive cancer. So a total hysterectomy was recommended anyway, because the entire cervix was cancer. I accepted the hysterectomy, because we had been infertile since we started trying in 2001. 1st fibroid was found then and everything went down hill. I was difficult, but my hubby wanted me to live. So if it meant losing my womanhood in order to beat the cancer and survive, it also meant not being able to have a baby. I hadn't really been bothered about the surgery. But that is the most difficult part, not having another child. Men just don't get it do they??? eventhough it has been faulty, there was still some hope of an accident. But not now, now I am cancer-free, I still have my ovaries and a few things are missing from me & my life. I hope this passes, it has been a rough couple of years dealing with the infertility. i know it was for the best, to get rid of the cancer and i have 1 healthy child-And life goes on. What doesn't kill us, only makes us stronger. I should be as strong as Governor Arnold by now

Thanks for being here.
Your sister-in-health
Unread 02-16-2008, 09:18 AM

Hi ArmyWife! Your recovery sounds almost exactly like mine, and I am very glad to hear you are doing well enough to go back to work on Monday. I was orginally going to go on Monday, but decided to extend a couple of days so that the first week back will be short, so it will definitely be Wednesday for me.

I have actually had some of those same meltdowns with regards to the absolute end to childbearing. Although my son is grown (23), I have always had a desparate need for another and just was not in a stable relationship for the past 10 years so it never happened. Realistically based on my age it would have been pretty much impossible anyway, but now the finality is very sad. I think that no matter what our situations, this is extremely hard, but we are strong and will survive and move on to do amazing things with our new pain-free lives!!

I just got out of bed at 11:00 a.m. I truly need to get myself to sleep earlier cause I will be paying big time when I have to go back to work next week! For the first time in ages I am mini-pad free this morning and it feels weird, lol. I could get used to this :-)
Unread 02-16-2008, 09:49 AM

~Karen~ Hey there!! I told my hubby if we didn't get prego again by the time i was 35, I was done anyway. And trying for last 6 yrs has been draining, fun practicing, but draining nonetheless. And this is final, so no oopsy-daisy when he is home from Afghanistan mid-tour (Dec-Jan). I'm sure this is just a rough patch that all sisters of child-bearing age go through, but I will be fine.

Yea, mini-pad free!!! I'm jealous! {{wink wink}}

Wishing you aand all my new sisters a good weekend and happy recovery.
Unread 02-16-2008, 10:48 AM

Armywife,
Sounds like you are doing great! I think everything you are feeling is very normal.

Your poor husband! That must have been terrible for him to go through that whileyou were in surgery/recovery. I was one day post op on Ahs Wednesday and on my walks around the hallway on my floor at the hospital I kept wondering why people had smudges on their foreheads. My husband finally told me it was Ash Wednesday. I was starting to think I was just high from the meds and having some weird hallucination <sp>.

I am glad they got your cancer with surgery and that you wont have to go through chemo or radiation. I kinda wanted to keep my cervix (as I have tested negative for HPV) but alas the fibroids had caused issues in that area too according to the doc. I think that is the part that freaks me out for when I get all better and can have sex again. What happens with stuff now and what if the barrier/stitched area gets broken. My doctor assured me that no mater "how much of a man" my husband is that wont happen. It still worries me.

I am feeling good on day 11 post op and my only complaints are being bored and the gas/bm thing. coughing and sneezing are still both scary but I am learning to do it the posthyster way (pillow to the tummy and pray).
I still have a swelly belly and a shelf (I dont like this shelf). I can fit into bigger jeans/shorts comfortably but am not ready to brave my regular wardrobe yet. I ordered a few pairs of Yoga pants on Victoria's secret 2 days ago (FYI they are on sale!!). Sweatsuits are now my new wardrobe (glad I bought a few before surgery). I have lost 7 pounds and I am sure I could prolly wear my reg stuff but it seems like it would be uncomfortable still and I am all about comfort!

Hope everyone has a great day... I am going to try and figure out something I can do OUT OF THIS HOUSE!

Cindy
Unread 02-16-2008, 11:38 AM

Good afternoon All,

I am so glad to hear that everyone is having a good day and had a good night for you late night ladies. This is post op day 9 for me and I am still have tightness in my incision area. I did take a longer shower than usual today then sat down after I got dressed "in sweats" to watch a movie, but when I went to get up I really felt a tightness.

I have not really started itching bad it, and still looking forward to my first Dr. appt on Monday. Karen you are the hero to me on our surgery week, you seem to be doing extremely well and has such a great sense of humor.

It is sunny here in Ohio today, but I am still in the house I plan on being off until the first week of March, unless something goes wrong. I also still have the swelly belly and can someone give me some advice on how to find a comfortable position when I try to get some sleep at night, I have not had a really good nights sleep since I came home a week ago today.

Other than that all is well and I'm still looking forward to the day when I can fit in my jeans comfortably and get out and do my normal routine.

Carla (SAH) 02-07-08
Unread 02-16-2008, 11:42 AM

Cindy~

I'm with ya sister regarding the sex, kinda freaks me out too. I saw a drawing post-op, where the cervix use to be - the vaginal cuff is. So its like the docs left room to spare. LOL I'm sure once the signs of surgery have faded, and you are in the mood again, you'll be less worried. I kinda went through it all before with the Cancer testing, cervix needed healing before sex resumed. Everything went fine, as before. My new worry is, since there is no HPV testing for men, will my hubby give it back to me and will I get cancer again. That is my new concern. And i can't wait til I'm well, I'm gonna do every cancer support walk that I can. I am a new advocate for GYN cancer - my eyes have been opened. But life is getting better every day.

Have a good one!

Diane
Unread 02-16-2008, 12:05 PM

~Carla~

Sleeping with a pillow against my abdomen, helped me now (with my 2 lil incesions and bellybutton puncture) as well as when I had a a fibroid removed (abdominal incesion) The soft pressure helped to ease the pain. And the other morning i was on my back with some discomfort-felt like everything had dropped against my spine, so I tried a heating pad on low helped - almost like period relief and I went right back to sleep for 2 more hours. I hope it helps like it did me.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register