Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008 - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008 Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008

Unread 02-08-2008, 09:09 AM
2nd morning post op

Well, I finally was able to get some good sleep last night. I stayed up too late (1:00 a.m.) but then took a percocet and slept soundly until around 6:00 a.m., when I got up to pee and have another pill. Finally got out of bed and came downstairs at around 8:30 a.m. Since then I have been lounging on the sofa. My mom made me a couple of cups of coffee, and I ate some prunes and also some water.

I plan to have some soup for lunch in a little while, and then maybe something a little more substantial for dinner.

Feel really good right now. I took my first estrace tablet, so hope that will contain the hot flashes. My next adventure is to go back upstairs and take a shower. THey told me I could as long as I didn't "scrub" the laproscopy incision areas. They are held together by some strips of tape, so that freaks me out a bit. I guess they eventually fall off, but we don't want to do anything to cause that to happen any sooner than needed.

I am still bleeding a little, and my "nether regions" feel all swollen and puffy. I think this is expected and should subside soon. My other big complaint is that I am still itchy and my nose is driving me crazy. Like a feather is contantly tickling it.

All in all, very smooth recovery so far. I think I will try to substiture some ibuprofin for the percocet next time. My digestive system is pretty shut down right now. Some I am having some gas pain, but no BM yet and that feels yucky. Getting off the narcotics should help this a bit.

Hope everyone else is having a good recovery day. More later....

~karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-08-2008, 11:26 AM
Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008

Well, yesterday (day 3 post-op), I felt pretty good all day. I dozed in and out of sleep all day, but had more "awake times" than sleeping times. Finally, last night, I decided to take a shower. I did shower in the hospital, but it was time to shower again. Our showers are on the top floor of our house, and so are our bedrooms. Our "living" areas are on the bottom floor of the house, so I'm sleeping on the couch in our family room so I can easily have access to the kitchen, and also be able to watch TV (we don't have a TV in our bedroom).

So, I had to go upstairs to shower. I did fine going up the stairs. I took a shower, and had my husband shave my legs. haha. Not that I NEEDED my legs shaved, but I hate having hairy legs.... so he shaved them for me. While he was doing that, I was reminding him of our wedding vows, "for better or for worse...." HAHA!!! He's such a sweetie! ;-) He's been SO good to me. In the hospital, he held my head while I was throwing up. And, he was right next to me when I first passed gas in the hospital, too. HAHA!! I warned him, but he did not move.... haha!!! So, he's definitely keeping up his end of the bargin with the vows in " for better of FOR WORSE". haha.

Anyway, so back to the shower.... I took my shower, got dressed, dried my hair, and then went back downstairs. By that time, I felt like every single muscle in my body was weak and shutting down. I could tell just goign up stairs, taking the shower, drying my hair, and going back downstairs was over-doing it.

I laid down on the couch, and I could't even talk! I was mumbling to my husband because I felt I couldn't even move my mouth to tell him what I needed. haha.

I laid there for about 30 minutes and just dozed in and out.

Then, FINALLY, I got the urge to go #2!! But, I remember thinking I did NOT want to get up. I was so burnt out from the shower.

But, I KNEW if I needed to have a BM, I should NOT try to hold it in.

SO, my husband helped me get up, and I went into the bathroom, and just sat for a long time. I knew I could not "push", and I've been taking stool softeners. Finally it started to all come out! Oh my goodness... I know this is gross to even talk about, but I just felt SO good once I was done. It took a really long time to finish everything, but once I was done and ready to get up, I felt like my whole abdomen just felt SO much better and it felt less achy!

I am SURE part of the reason my abdomen has been SO achy and uncomfortable is because I hadn't pooped for 3 days. So, I have made a big milestone now.... and my body is slowly getting back to normal.

So far every night, I've been waking up in the middle of the night a couple times just randomly. I woke up at 4:30 AM, and it was time for a percocit. i felt I needed it. My incision area and just my abdomen really ached and hurt. So, I took it and went to sleep. I woke up at 7:15 AM (my kids woke me up, actually), but they left for school at 8:15 AM. After the left, I fell back asleep until 10 AM. Now, I'm awake and feel good and feel i have energy.

Today I'm goign to attempt more "real" food now that I'm able to have a BM.

I did eat a lot of fruit yesterday and had a couple fresh salads with some yummy fresh veggies in the salad. I wonder if that helped the BM come? Well, it did taste so good to eat some good fresh food.

Ok, everyone.... glad to hear everyone is recoverying well.

Good to hear things are goign well for you, karen. you are just a couple days behind me. I bet you'll have that BM today or tomorrow! It feels SO good once you do.

OH, the things that are "acceptable" to talk about when you're talking about hysterectomies. HAHA!! funny!!

Take care!!

ps. Karen, my nose itched up until the morning of day 3 post-op. It also felt like someone was rubbing a feather on my nose. It was so annoying. It was really bad when I was on morphine, but even after I was on morphine, it continued... the nurse said it is a side effect from morphine, and it just takes a couple days after you're off morphine fory our nose to stop itching. It'll stop soon! :-)
Unread 02-08-2008, 02:49 PM
LSH with removal of ovaries and tubes

Had surgery on Feb.4,08. Arrived on time and got ready for the surgery. Made double sure that no morphine would be in the iv. Went through detox and withdrawls of morphine with my spine surgery 8 months earlier. When the anesthesia guy came in I informed him that 1.I get sick from the anesthesia an 2. that I wake up immediatly when the mask is taken off 3. During my spine surgery I did wake up during the operation. He assured me that he would put on a brain monitor. Wheeled into operation room, looked around, so much diffenent that the spine surgery operating room. Next thing I remember is the anesthesia guy standing over me holding the mask. I said I told you this would happen. He said that alot of people wake up but they are not alert and aware. I was extremely alert and even joked with them. Off to recovery, I never went back to sleep. At least during this operaion I did not wake up.
LSH with removal of ovaries, tubes, uterus. Left cervix. Not too much pain. Everything went well, feel so much lighter down there. Dr. says that everything was what they expected except for one thing. I have a very small pelvic cavacity and the uterus took up the entire cavaity, so it was a little difficult to manuver in there. I even have photos of the inside of me, weird. Blood pressure went pretty low and so did my blood count. Stayed about 1 1/2 days in hospital. Trying to raise my blood pressure they kept putting liquids via iv in me. All that did was to puff me up bad. I seem to sleep alot, does not matter whether I am laying down or sitting up. I know that the hardest part of this recovery is going to be not doing much.

Good luck to all of us recovering

Later,
Kelly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-08-2008, 04:33 PM

another update:
day 3? post op (yeah this is friday, surg was tues)
anyhow....
wanted DH to help me take a shower this morning, our shower is in our basement, this is an old house, used to be my grandparents, and my granddad built a shower in the basement, as there is only a tub in the bathroom........
well last night around 11ish, my MIL calls and says she is out front, DRAMA!!, so i went down and left her and my young inlaws in too (SIL 16, BIL 11) and sat up with them for a little.
They ended up staying the night, so they were still here till late this afternoon, and DH decided he was going back to bed this morning (They are YOUR family dummy) so that screwed up my entire day.
Told him i am getting a shower tomorow if i have to do it myself!!! I think i would feel 100% better getting a shower and washing my hair!
Not having alot of pain, not much bleeding, belly still a bit swelly & sore. Eating decently, i can tell my appetite isnt what it was before (maybe a good thing)
have gone #2 several times, and am a bit gassy (or so i think) have been using the heating pad on my tummy & back off and on.
DH was worried about leaving me alone with our girls (7 & 4) but they have been great, and semi helpful!
Hoping to be able to escape the house for awhile sunday evening, for my neices birthday party. My post op instructions siaid no car rididng for a week, but sunday is close enough to a week for me, and its only about 15 min away. my mommie & daddy will pick us up.

Thanks for all the great advice and ears you guys have given me before and after. Will keep updating you as i go!!!
Unread 02-08-2008, 04:54 PM

I had everything out on 2/4 including ovaries, a rectocele repair and some reconstruction. I finally got out of the castle last night and I am enjoying being home! 4 days in the hospital was enough!! It was so nice to get a full nights sleep without being disturbed by nurses or my roommate!

In recovery when the doctor came in to talk to me he winked at me and told me that because of all of the scar tissue from my previous surgeries he had to do a mini tummy tuck on me. I was so thrilled if I could have sat up I would have kissed him. We never discussed a mini TT but his surgery scheduler knew I was thinking about a full one. After talking to a PS they recommended I simply decided that 3 hours with the TAH, repair & reconstruction and another 4 hour complete TT was just too much for my preference so I just let it go.

Recovery is going well. I have a serious swelly belly but I'm taking it very easy. I cannot wait to see my new belly after the swelling goes down! My goal for today was to take a shower and pace my upstairs a few times. I've accomplished that and tomorrow I may try to go downstairs and walk around. I am not going to push myself in the least and if I have to stay upstairs I will!!!

I've been having a few hot flashes but so far nothing that I can't tolerate. Doc said we'd discuss hormone therapy when I go in next Friday to get my staples out.

I am glad to hear things are going well for others here and continue to do so.

Jus
Unread 02-08-2008, 10:32 PM

Well, I got home from the castle this morning. I am still not really up to sitting here and typing yet, so I will try to post more in a few days.

Unread 02-08-2008, 11:04 PM

Welcome home Sunshine714!!! Great to hear from you. :-) It's fun to slowly see all of the sisters from the pre-op board slowly show up one by one here!

Take your time to heal and don't use your energy to type. Just post when you are able.

Take care!!
Unread 02-09-2008, 03:51 AM
A great experience

Hello All, I just had surgery Wed morning Feb 5th and my preop situation was like most here. Went in, got an IV, talked to my doc and the anesthesiologist and by 11am was on the table anxiously awaiting for my new life to begin.

I woke up in recovery and just remember saying pain and nausea. They took me to my room and by then my family had gone home and out of nervousness my kid's dad had taken my clothes home by accident. Apparently, my doctor had come out and given him a blow by blow of the operation. She told him that I did well and that my uterus was the size of an almost five month pregnancy so she had to give me a zipper cut from the navel down instead of a smiley face on my abdomen. She told him that she had taken pictures and that she would go get them so he could take them home for me. I guess he ran and never got the pictures, but enough of that part because I'll start laughing again and it will take too long for my stomach to stop hurting afterward.

Anyway, one of the best things to remember is to work with your doctor and the nurses on pain management. My pain was managed extremely well. I had morphine IV the first 24 hours and tordol for breakthrough pain. My doctor also gave me antibiotics as a precaution and as a result of the great pain management I was practically running down the halls once they took out the catheter. It is also important that I walk as that helps with being able to pass gas. Gas rumbling around your incision can cause a lot of pain. So everytime I got up to use the bathroom, I went for a walk in the hallway. I don't say that it is right for everyone but it sure helped me.

As a matter of fact, I ran into my doctor in the hallway the next afternoon. She brought me the pictures of my uterus and cervix. I told her before I saw them that I felt like I could breath better and even though I was sore, I already felt like a whole new woman. Then I saw the pictures. I almost started crying. My uterus was monstrous. It was laying laterally, so it was on my bladder and pressing against a part of my intestine. It was also pushing up near my diaphram on the other side when I layed down.

I am now three days post op. I had great nurses, each of whom, did a wonderful job helping to manage my pain. I was anxious going in to surgery but so far I have loved every minute of being rid of my uterus. I just have to remember to slow down. My aunt came from back east to stay with my kids and she has been freakin fabulous. My doctor ordered pain meds during my preop two days before surgery so I had everything I needed when I got home. And oh yeah, I got the swelly belly thingy from hystersisters and I love it!

I am excited for the new life ahead of me. I had joined weight watchers last July and lost 31 pounds prior to surgery and now I can really get the pounds off. I am loving life. I hope everything goes as well for all of you. Thanks for all of the wonderful posts and happy hysterectomy.
Unread 02-09-2008, 07:56 AM
morning report - post op day 3

Wow, it is great to see so many great stories from everyone, and hear that thing are going well. It is such a relief, huh?

I am feeling OK today. Yesterday I made it a point to do NOTHING, and I was successful. I did walk up and down my stairs a few times to get things from the bathroom and also to take a shower, which felt great. Otherwise, I just napped on the sofa and watched daytime TV that I never saw before (The View and Ellen).

I decided also that I would get off the narcotics asap, so after my 8:00 a.m. dosage, I went to ibuprofin and so far have managed pretty well on that. Last night a friend stopped by to visit, and she is so funny and making me laugh, and my belly hurt like crazy without major meds, but after she left I was worn out and fell asleep really fast and was comfortable.

My only complaint is lack of BM so far. Lots of gas passing going on, and no real pains, but I don't feel like anything wants to come on out. Sigh... I ate some prunes yesterday, and other things that I think might help like raw carrots and salad. Today after I type this and eat a breakfast, I plan to walk around the block and hopefully that will get things moving. If that fails, my mom will go to the store and get me something.

Any recommendations for the best stool softener or laxative for this situation?

Otherwise, well it is hard to believe this is so smooth. My belly is bloated and sore and lots of bruising around the incisions and other places as well. I can feel the stitches inside my vagina tugging and pulling if I stand up too quickly or sit in certain positions, so that freaks me out. Just need to keep taking it easy, which is really the hardest thing for me. I am always on the run, and sitting still just isn't on my agenda.

OH!! I just got a GIANT basket of starbucks goodies (coffees, teas, cocoas, candies, etc) delivered from our program manager. What a sweetheart. I had not heard anything from my people at work (even my direct supervisor) and thought they didn't care. Dan says they need me to come back soon cause everyone is crazy there. Right - that really makes me want to hurry back. Not....

OK - need to get something to eat and a walk. My sister is coming over later this afternoon and need to get things done and then rest up from that.

Glad to hear all the stories and most of them very positive!!

All my best for a great day for eveyone!

~karen
Unread 02-09-2008, 11:32 AM

Karen,

You are 3 days post-op today, right? Well, my doctor told me it's normal for the first BM to happen 3 - 4 days post-op. For me, I had the exact same feeling as you. Lots of gas, but no feeling like I had to have a BM, and it was frustrating. Then literally, all of a sudden.... just out of the blue....I just suddenly thought, "oh my gosh, I have to go!" haha. This was the evening of day 3 post-op. It took a really long time because I did not want to push but it did happen! It took so long that my husband finally came to the bathroom to ask me if I was ok because I had been in there for so long.... I told him I was having a little party in the bathrooom because my body was finally waking up. haha!!!

I am taking stool softeners. The kind I have are a kind my doctor prescribed for me, but I think any over the counter kind woudl work. Are you taking stool softeners at all? I'd reccomend it if you aren't. I skipped my softener yesterday only because i forgot, and today when I "went", it hurt.... it wasn't soft enough.... sorry for the gross details. But, it really hurt when it was going through the lower intestines and I was have really bad pain with it. I'm sure it was because it was not soft enough.... so I'm taking my softeners for sure today and will continue for as long as I need. i don't think it's bad to take those for a long time.

that is awesome you want to get off the narcatic. I also do, too, but, I am not sure I'm ready. I have a prescribed ibuprofin I am taking, but that is not enough. My doctor also removed my appendix, and I can feel pain way up on my right hand side that radiates down low, so I think that is making things take longer in terms of pain management. I am hoping by next week I can be off the percosit.

i'm doing well. I slept the best last night since surgery! I went to sleep at 1 AM, and woke up briefly at 3 AM. Went back to sleep until 6:30 AM. I took a pain med because I was not at all comfortable, and then went back to sleep until 9:45 AM!! wow!! Up to this point, I had been going to sleep around 1 AM (sleep for the night....), waking up at like 4 AM and awake until 5 or 6 AM just because i could not sleep, and then continue to sleep like that.... awake for a couple hours, sleep for a couple hours.... it's been messing up my whole day.

But, i think I'm getting closer to getting back onto a normal sleep schedule (sleep all night, and awake all day..... but I still will take naps during the day for recovery for sure).

Oh, and also yesterday I was able to stand up a lot straighter than I have been, and i was able to take some really deep breathes while standing up straight. I've been having a hard time standing up straight because my abdomen just feels so tight and aches, and it has been so hard almost impossible to take deep breathes while standing up straight. I can do deep breathing while I'm laying down. So, that was a good milestone that was hit yesterday!

That is great you got the gift basket. Isn't it so awesome get things like that? I love it. It makes you feel so appreciated and cared for. I got a ton of flowers delivered to my hospital room, and also to our house. I got chocolates delivered, too, which has been yummy!!

It just makes you feel better! I love Starbuck's by the way (live in Seattle where there is one on every corner practically). I haven't had my coffee drink from Starbucks since surgery yet. I haven't really felt like it, but hopefully soon that craving will come back!! :-)

I really am feeling great.... I had a little rough patch yesterday afternoon with pain. I tried to stretch out my pain pills to see if i could start to ween off of them, but then I waited too long, and I began to really hurt. And, then my 7 year old came up to me trying to help me and he tried to move my legs, but moved them too fast, and it really hurt my abdomen area.... I got this sharp pain for a second, and it went away, but then it just ached. So, then I took my pain med when I was already over-due for it, and I just laid down and i felt so awful! I finally felt better about an hour later.

But, yesterday I also did not do anything. I made it a point to only get up to go to the bathroom, and that was it. But, every time I go to teh bathroom, I do walk a loop around our house. But, that is all i did.... nothing else, and I felt pretty good and felt I had more energy than i've had yet.... except for that small little bump where I had extra pain when my son moved my feet.

So, I think I'm realizing that if i have a day where I do more than I should, then the next day for sure needs to be a day of doing nothing!

My parents are coming to pick up our kids today for a few hours, so that'll be nice, and then they are also taking them for several hours tomorrow as well.

And, my husband goes back to work on Monday (he took all last week off). So, on Monday, I'll be home all by myself, and I think that'll be fine. I can get up and down by myself fairly ok. My husband said if i feel I still need him around, he'll take more time off work. but, he has a job with a lot of responsibility (he's in upper management for a high tech company), and so he runs an entire team of people. So, it is hard for him when he's not at work..... so I think I'll be fine by myself by Monday.... 1 - week post-op. My parents are still helping. My husband will drop the kids off at school at 8:30 starting Monday, and my parents are picking up the kids at 3 PM and keeping them until my husband gets off work around 6 PM. So, I'll be home by myself from 8:30 - 6 PM. I think I'll be fine. My husband's work is only 5 minutes from our house, so he can come home fairly easy if he really needed to, and I've had lots of friends offer to help. So, I think I'll be good!!

Yah, Karen..... even if the people at your work say they want you back soon because everyone is crazy there.... that definitely would not want to make ME want to come back sooner than I had planned. HAHA!!! Good for you for taking the time off and taking care of yourself!!!

Take care!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register