Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008 - Page 21 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008 Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008

Unread 02-17-2008, 08:34 PM
recovering

Hello,
I had a partial (vaginally) on Feb 5th.
I started out feeling pretty good day 2.
My nights were awful, but I felt good in the daytime.
I must have hit a wall.
I have constant cramps (no bleeding).
I can't wait to feel better.

I have been taking Motrin 800 and want to wean off the vicodin.

Trying to remain positive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-17-2008, 10:17 PM
New Sister :)

Hi all,
I am glad I came across your site. It was a few days ago and it took me about that long to catch up in your forums lol.

A little of my history.. I had (I think) a supracervical hysterectomy. I had my ovaries, tubes and uterus removed. The only reason my cervix wasn't removed is because it's frozen. My doctor advised me to never allow another doctor to remove it. I went in initially because an ultrasound revealed that I had cysts on my ovaries. My left ovary was completly consumed by a cyst 13.2cm.(size of a large grapfruit) My right ovary had two cysts on it as well. I was diagnosed with endometriosis in 2004 so my new doctor put two and two together.

I had an abdominal incision.. (22 staples removed on the 12th.) I was scheduled for a 2:15pm surgery, but it was delayed.. every patient my doctor had seen so far had issues in surgery. My husband and mother waited with me.. we had arrangements for our two children. My son is 14 and dau is 7, so it worked out. I finally got to go in around 7pm.. was in recovery for a little over an hour.. I don't remember anything from the recovery room. I remember focusing very hard to let my family know I was ok. My dau was scared, she thought I was dead because I was so out of it and pale.

Doctor told me on a scale from 1-10 for a "mess" I was an 11. I had alot of adhesions from the endo, he drained 500cc's of fluid from my left ovary alone. I asked how much that was when I spoke to him in the hospital.. he looked around the room and pointed to the pink water pitcher they keep by your bed. (my jaw almost dropped off). He also informed me I almost went home with a colostomy bag because my uterus was adhered to my bowel. He got my uterues unstuck and cleaned up the adhesions on my bowels the best he could.

I want to say before this turns into a novel that reading these forums over the last couple days has been comforting. I wish I had known I was going to get a hysterectomy for sure so I could have found this sooner.
Unread 02-17-2008, 11:30 PM
Hysterectomy dates Feb 04-Feb 11,2008

Welcome Penrose and Sassi :-)

Glad you guys found the site. It is such a blessing to have others who can relate to your thoughts feelings and aches and pains right now. I think it is great that the threads are broken down my surgery date so we can all compare and have a good outlook as well. It is also nice we can talk about the gas, bm's etc. without being embarassed.

Have a restful night all :-)
Cindy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2008, 12:41 AM

Hi everyone,

Wow, so many posts this evening! That is great... we're getting new members of our honorary Feb. 4 - 11 club!!!

gizy:

I have lost 2 lbs. since surgery, but I didn't need to lose weight from the beginning. I'm not worried about 2 lbs, but if I lost more than 5, I'd want to try to gain it back ASAP. I'm not too worried... my cousin brought over a plate of brownies tonight.... I'm thinking that 2 lbs. will come back pretty fast. HAHA!!

Juliean:

Welcome!!!

I'm not having any vag. pain. But, I had an abdominal hyster. In fact, in terms of my Va JJ, I can't even tell I had surgery... NOTHING down there hurts which is nice. I wonder why the nurse said she wishes that doctors did not do this vaginally?? I know I didn't have it done that method, but lots of women here have, and to me, it seems like that is a much better way because it seems the recovery is much easier. That is just my impression, though.

Fia:

That is great you're helping your aunt out so much!! Good for you. Try not to over-do it, though!!! :-) You sound lke you're doing great, though. I think that would have been so interesting to have the surgery done via the DaVinci Robot!! I don't think they even offer that at the hospital I was at.

Good luck with everything you have planned tomorrow!!

Jen:

I'm so jealous that you had your surgery after mine, and you're off pain meds, and you had a TAH!! I guess we all just handle pain differently. I'm almost off pain meds.... I'm down to about 2 or 3 percocit pills in a 24 hour period. So, I'm getting close!!

As for the smell of the urine... mine seems normal now. I do remember in the hospital, my pee smelled like vinegar. It was so odd.... but that is gone. I do know certain types of food can make your pee smell different.... but that is about all I know. You can post your question on the forum below and see if anyone has any insight.

Penrose5:

I posted on your same question in the forum. I hope you get some more answers... but if your pain does get worse or does not get better, it doesn't hurt to go to your doctor. But, continue to come here for support!!!!! It's the best place!!

Sassibella:

Welcome!! We have the same surgery date! I'm glad your surgery went well... sounds like a lot was going on!! Well, the great news is that they fixed it and you are on the road to recovery. Are you having any bowel problems since your uterus was stuck to your bowels? Just wondering if passing a BM is really painful. I know for me, it's like a KNIFE going through my bowels. As someone in the forum put it below, I feel like I'm giving birth to a BM every day! haha.

I'm glad you found this site and you will definitely get the support and encouragement you need HERE! Only us Sisters truly understand!

And, Cindy.... thanks again for the VS link! Can't wait to get my Yoga pants... it'll be a couple weeks, but still... can't wait! :-)

I had a great morning and even afternoon as I wrote in my posts, but MAN.... when it hit about 7 PM, I felt like I took 2 steps back!! My body was screaming at me, and I ended up taking a Percocit. ugh! I was HOPING to not take one until I went to bed. But I was in pain. Gosh, why do I feel like the biggest wimp? I should be able to tolerate this pain... oh well.... who knows...

Tomorrow will be a new day.

There is no school tomorrow - Wednesday, and my DH has all day meetings this week he can't get out of, so my mom and dad are coming to pick up the boys (ages 5 & 7) for half the day. Taking care of two active boys who are like monkeys at my stage in recovery is not really that easy. I'm SO thankful for my parents!! They are a God-send!

Ok, I'm sure I'll write an update tomorrow. I jsut wanted to welcome all the newcomers!

Take care!!!
Unread 02-18-2008, 08:04 AM

Hi again, thought I would just post my progress. Had a TAH on 2-6 for submucosal fibroids. my uterus was enlarged and distorted. I kept my ovaries. I guess wednesday will be 2 weeks post surgery. I've noticed the past few days alot of pain when going to the bathroom, guess its "normal" since I've seen others of you saying the same thing, but it'll be something I ask my doc. I'm still swollen a little and still numb down the middle of my abdomen. I go for my 2 week checkup in 2 days. My steristrips have all but come off, I didn't want to look at the incision so I taped a strip of gauze over it, LOL.

I'm curious how long is typical to be off work with a TAH? Some people told me they were out 8 weeks, some said 4, some 6. I guess it just depends on your recovery, but I thought 6 weeks was the minimum. I have a physically demanding job, that's why I ask, it freaks me out I may have to go back sooner than I should and feel like my guts are going to fall out on the floor.
Wishing you all a full and speedy recovery!
Unread 02-18-2008, 08:22 AM

Hi Sister444,

It's good to hear from you. All that you are feeling and experiencing right now (physically) is so totally normal. I'm feeling the same things...I could have written your frist paragraph. Except my Steristrips are all still on... not even close to coming off. But, that is OK because like you, I don't like to look at my incision. I got a mirror and looked at it a couple days ago for the first time (because i can kind of see through the steri-strips, and after that moment, I decided I didn't want to look at it again. I just don't like seeing stuff like that. I can't wait until it just looks like a normal scar. So, I don't blame you for putting a piece of gauze over yours. :-)

As for being off work after a TAH, i don't have a "paid" job, so I am not really in your situation, but I would think it might depend on the nature of your job. Since you have a physically demanding job, I would think you'd need possibly the full 6 weeks... when you say physically demanding, what do you mean? Like heavy lifting, or on your feet all day, or physical fitness?? Have you talked to your doctor? If so, what did he/she say? That is really what you should do... is talk to your doctor, and if he/she says you need to wait 6 weeks, but your work doesn't like that, then maybe your doctor can write a note or something...

I know this is a really big issue for many women on this board. I know taking 6 weeks off from work can be really difficult for many women on this board not only financially, but also in terms of job security.

You should post your question on the forum so everyone can see.... but I'm guessing the most popular answser will be for you to talk to your doctor and see what he/she tells you.

Best of luck!!!!
Unread 02-18-2008, 09:09 AM

I had a TAH on DEc.5th,2007 and I was off 6 weeks. I have a very demanding job...a lot of heavy lifting,bending and stretching(of course at 5"3 I always have to stretch..lol) My dr. did ask me if I felt ready because she knew how much I had to do at work. I felt ready at 6 weeks but I knew if I went back and had trouble that I could always take some more time.Just be sure and let your dr. know what your job is and then decide because healing is the most important thing right now. Good luck and God bless you.
Faith
Unread 02-18-2008, 10:25 AM

Good afternoon ladies -

I am feeling down today. I am worried about going back to work on Weds. On Saturday I was full of energy, minimal spotting, and no pain. I was out and about all day, and not too worn out on Sat night. Then yesterday started off well and I was out for lunch and then some shopping in the afternoon.

But.... then last night I hit a wall. Felt achey and started spotting (not red blood, but more of the brownish/pink stuff). Felt crappy all night and never left the couch. I am sure this is part of the healing process, but does seem to tell me that the heightened activity and extensive walking around is probably not wise. I also took out the trash, hauled the big trash can to the alley, and carried a bunch of laundry upstairs (not the basket). There isn't anyone else here to do that stuff.

I have a desk job and don't do any stenuous activity, but the thought of the 1hour each way commute and sitting up all day is daunting. I already told them I would be there on Weds, but now I might wait till next Monday, or maybe just half days for a while.

It is just so disappointing. Sigh....
Unread 02-18-2008, 10:38 AM

Thanks for the replies lovestorun and kylady! My job is alot of lifting and bending and standing for about 10 hours straight. It wiped me out even pre-surgery. I knew the answer to my question, ask the doc, but just threw it out there to see it in writing and hear what others were doing, LOL. I am in no hurry to get back to work, so if he tells me to be off 6 weeks or 6 months, that's fine by me
I love reading everyone else's stories because I can relate to alot of it and don't feel so "freakish". My treadmill has been calling my name, but I just havn't gotten back to it yet.
I've found a new hobby, photography. I thought of a word and then went around my house looking for objects that resembled letters in the word and took artsy black and white/sepia photos of them, put them together and framed them. (My first word was ZEN). My DH was SOOOOO impressed! LOL I recommend it to anyone who owns a digital camera, a printer, and who is stir crazy!!
I had to take a percocet today for pain, first one in over a week, maybe that's the reason behind my rambling on.
Unread 02-18-2008, 11:19 AM

Karen,

I feel the SAME way as you!! I'm glad I'm not alone.... (not that I'm glad you are feeling not so hot... I actually LOVE to read your posts because it just makes me excited to see someone is doign so much... so I'm sorry you ARE not feeling graet today).

But, I am so frustrated today. I also had a great weekend like you... didn't do lots of things like you did, BUT in terms of how I felt, I was just like you. I just felt I had this new energy come into my body this weekend, and I was stretching out my Percocit between 9 - 12 hours.... yesterday was an awesome day! I just felt SO good.... I felt I had finally turned a corner. I really had a great day yesterday.

BUT, just like you, I did not sleep well last night, and today, I feel SOOOOO blah. I just have no energy, and i just want to sit on my couch all day today and do nothign. My whole body hurts.... I just took a Percocit at 9 AM (but my last one was 9 PM last night, so I'm still doing 9 - 12 hours between pills). But, yesterday I was thinking maybe today I could make it without any Percocit.... NOT!!

So, I'm right with you sister!!! So, from Virginia to Washington state.... I fully understand how you feel today. I'm in the same boat.

In fact, I had decided I wasn't going to even write into this thread while I'm feeling like this because I feel like most of my threads are all about how my recovery is so slow.... I feel like I rarely have anything positive to say about how I feel. But when I saw your post, it encouraged me to write and say I feel the same! Well, I have great memories of my good day yesterday and Saturday. So, I'll just keep those in the front of my memory and maybe this day will start to get better!!

I think I'm experiencing the "two steps forward, one step back" thing. My dotor even told me this would happen. UGH!! I hate it.

As for you going back to work, are you required to be back at work on Wednesday, or is that just your own choice? I'm sure, given all that you have been able to do, and all the amazing energy you have, you'll be feeling a lot better by Wednesday. But, if you are not feeling up to goign to work when you get up on Wednsday, are you able to call in and say it'll be a few more days?

Well, hang in there.... I'm sitting on my honorary couch right now, and I'm sure once this recovery is over, there will be a permanent impression of my body in this couch. haha.

Sister444:

Just reading about your job makes my body hurt! HAHA!!! Just go off of how you feel... for me, I feel like I won't be lifting more than 5 lbs. for the next two years! haha. I am glad you don't feel hurried to get back to work. I'd be a bit worried, to be honest, if you went back to such a physically demanding job this soon... even if you were feeling good. But, you are your best judge!!! So, I'm sure you will go back to work when you know you are ready!

I LOVE your idea of the photography. I have no creative bones in my body. haha. But, I LOVE B&W photos and I LOOOOOVE Sepia. I have some beatiful photos of my kids framed sitting on my fireplace mantle and they are all in Sepia. I love them.

I love your hobby! my hobby right now is making my butt flatter and flatter on this couch. HAHAHA!!! (just kidding....). No, my hobby are things I cannot do right now.... running, cycling, swimming, strength training... but, I might start to learn a new hobby like photography or something i can do in the comforts of my own home... that is a great idea!!! You are inspiring!!

All of you women are inspiring.... I feel like the Caboose (SP???) in the train of the Feb. 4 - 11 women!

take care everyone!!! Thanks for encouraging me through all you write!! Even if you your posts are not directed to me, they are just so encouraging me to me!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register